1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General idle screen

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by headstun, Sep 25, 2011.

1. headstun

headstun Lurker
    None

Sep 25, 2011
    I am new to the android OS.

I just discovered this the other day. If you press the home button while in your home screen or application screen it brings you to an "idle screen" where it shows two buttons at the top right corner. A close button and another button that can toggle phone or sound? You also have a clock and accu weather display.

Along the bottom are shortcuts to some applications such as music, email, etc...

Once the phone goes to standby by you see the clock in green text.

My question is what is the purpose of this screen? and is there any way to disable it?

Advertisement

2. headstun

headstun Lurker
    None

Sep 25, 2011
    Attached is the screen i am referring to in the post above.

Attached Files:

3. matttye

matttye Android Expert
    None

Apr 26, 2010
    Senior Legal Secretary
    Lincoln, England
    Never seen that before in my life and I can't reproduce it on my phone... are you sure you don't have quickdesk or a similar app installed? Quickdesk is an app that lets you double click the home button to open up an extra desktop.

4. headstun

headstun Lurker
    None

Sep 25, 2011
    I just found out that the screen is the desktop clock screen. Not sure how it affected the home key. I turned the phone on and off and now the home key reverted back to the original function.

5. Gearu

Gearu Android Expert
    None

Apr 13, 2011
    Might be something to do with car/driving mode, which on the s2 is a strange piece of programming.

6. DaveSyd

DaveSyd Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 19, 2011
    Australia
    The normal display for press and hold of home button is a small window showing the last 6 recently applications used applications. Along with a button to launch the Task Manager.

It is possible the other apps, or widget have reassigned this button event. The desktop clock you mentioned is not a standard one? If it is a loaded app or widget and you know the name of it, it may be possible to reset it. In every app, if you go to Settings, apps, manageme applications, then 'All' tab. Find the app that is the 'Desktop Clock' or whatever one, tap it, then you see a whole bunch of buttons to stop it, move it to SD card etc.

In the section "launch by default" the button will be highlighted IF it has taken over or assigned a default. If you clear it you will get a pop up selection instead of going straight to that one. Utilities programs like file managers, widgets etc often do this. If one time you hit the "set as default" the choice will disappear. eg. ES File Manager provides it's own viewer instead of gallery. If you assign defaults by mistake the choice disappear. Above is the process to reset them.