1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

General IE only? Windows programs? HUH?!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by MoodyBlues, Jan 27, 2011.

1. MoodyBlues

MoodyBlues - Crazy peacock person -

Jan 27, 2011
    Formerly UNIX/Linux programmer/sysadmin, now disab
    /home/LosAngeles
    I finally got around to buying a smart phone to replace my cell phone. I'm a Linux-only person and specifically shopped for an Android OS phone. I made it a point NOT to buy a windoze or even Apple based phone. Okay, great, so my Bravo arrived a couple days ago and I love it...but...

For one thing, as soon as I started exploring its file system [via USB connection to one of my computers], I saw something shocking: windoze programs. Huh? What the heck are windoze programs doing on my Android? :eek:

Next, I just used its "phone portal" feature to access it via browser from one of my computers. Note that I use SeaMonkey (the older sibling of Firefox) as my browser and, as I said, I'm Linux-only. So I connect via my browser and start poking around. From the dashboard I choose "File Manager" and am HORRIFIED to get this message: "File manager access supported on Internet Explorer only" WTF?! :thinking:

Did I somehow make a mistake? I thought Android was Linux-based. If it is, what is up with all this windoze-related garbage?

Advertisement