• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root If I can root my phone, anyone can...

Flapjack

Lurker
Jun 9, 2010
Ok, so I'm not some techie or anything, I've never hacked a thing in my life. I don't really know what a lot of the terms on here mean, but I rooted my phone with the help from this forum. All went well. My phone started off a stock unmolested 2.1 version with update 1 and ESE81 and in about an hour, I was wirelessly tethered to my laptop and on the internet.

A lot of this was copied and pasted from Fabolous' threads, so props to him.

Before you do anything, make sure to copy your contacts to your SD card and anything else you are afraid to loose. The first section won't erase anything, but second section will.

Some of these steps may not be needed, but these are just the steps I took, and it worked.

These are the steps:
1.) Download SPRecovery_ESE81.sbf to your C: root directory (C:\)
2.) Download md5sum
3.) Place md5sum in c:\windows\system32
5.) Download in install RSDLite 4.6 for this file you may need an un-zip tool like WIN RAR
6.) Download and install the correct motorola drivers for your windows machine (32 for XP, 32 or 64 for Vista depending on Vista version)
4.) Run command prompt (Start->Run then type "cmd" and hit enter)
5.) Change directories to your C:\ root directory (cd c:\)
6.) Type in "md5sum SPRecovery_ESE81.sbf"
7.) Make sure the sum of the image is EXACTLY 9b6a336cd8f067d4487935468c758d89
7.) Connect phone via USB and reboot, while rebooting hold UP on the dpad
8.) Run RSD Lite 4.6 as administrator
9.) Select the SPRecovery_ESE81.sbf file
10.) Click Start and wait for RSD Lite to flash the SPRecovery image onto phone and then wait on phone to reboot.

The above steps gives you SPRecovery on your phone, but it

:DAwesome write up dude, but I'm afriad I'm incapable. I tried upgrading to a custom rom and it's stuck on the M boot screen. I don't know which ROM I used, but I know it was one of the Froyo ones. I'm going to try and flash a different rom when I get back to my room. I don't know why this is hard for me to grasp. I flashed rom after rom when I had my WinMo phones. :thinking:

I'm in Afghanistan right now and it takes about 6 or 7 hours to download these 70MB roms! I'm going insane with no high-speed here. :mad:

Upvote 0
:DAwesome write up dude, but I'm afriad I'm incapable. I tried upgrading to a custom rom and it's stuck on the M boot screen. I don't know which ROM I used, but I know it was one of the Froyo ones. I'm going to try and flash a different rom when I get back to my room. I don't know why this is hard for me to grasp. I flashed rom after rom when I had my WinMo phones. :thinking:

I'm in Afghanistan right now and it takes about 6 or 7 hours to download these 70MB roms! I'm going insane with no high-speed here. :mad:

Ugh dude, God speed to you..Get home soon! If you'd like, I could send you ROM's burned onto a CD..

Upvote 0
Ugh dude, God speed to you..Get home soon! If you'd like, I could send you ROM's burned onto a CD..
Thanks dude. It wouldn't be so bad over here if the internet didn't suck so much. I hate being disconnected.

I'm paying $70/month for 128kbps internet. How desperate am I? I'll never ever complain about the 800kbps I get on my cell phone or the 8Mbps on my cable. I don't even care about 4g any more.

I would definitely take you up on that offer but thanks to say that I only have a few days left....I hope!

Upvote 0
Alright, everything works. I figured out the problem. I downloaded a recovery rom and needed to put it in the sprecovery folder BUT somehow my phone decided to switch to the clockworkmod so I had to make a clockwork folder and then dump the recovery in there. Wow, that's a relief. Thanks for all the help folks. Peace out!

I'm now running NexFro 2.2 and so far it works great. Wifi is stable, but I can't make phone calls till I get back to the states.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones