1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Support If I check email on my phone, it temp locks me out of my email on my PC... ideas?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Dante04SRT, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Dante04SRT

Dante04SRT Well-Known Member

I have Charter.net for my email and have it setup on both my home PC and my phone. The problem for me is that if I check my email on my phone, it remains logged in to the server for a period of time and if I go to check my email on PC, I get a message, asking for my password - My password on my home PC is always correct. My guess is that the phone stays logged onto the server and sits there. I've got my phone set to NEVER check email, so it's not like its trying to automatically check it and stay connected. It only happens when I manually check my email on the phone using Email.

The only way I've been able to circumvent the problem is to use my App Killer on my phone to shut down Email - A few seconds later, my PC email client works again and it will authenticate on the server correctly.

I'm not sure exactly where the problem is; ie. if it's the server or the phone.

Has anyone run into this scenario before? It's really annoying and if there's a fix, I'm all ears.

Thanks,
    Dan+te

Advertisement

2. sremick

sremick Android Expert

Are you using POP or IMAP access? If you're using POP, try IMAP.

Also try K-9 instead of the stock client.

More info is available at the Captivate FAQ (always a good place to check first):
    Email - CapFAQ

3. Dante04SRT

Dante04SRT Well-Known Member

I'm using IMAP on the phone (as per Charter.net) and POP on my PC.

4. mnemonicj

mnemonicj Android Enthusiast

I would recommend POP on your phone because it connects and then disconnects after it has checked for e-mail. IMAP may try to access your mail for longer to try and update other folders, etc. POP checks for new mail while IMAP syncs your mail.

5. sremick

sremick Android Expert

Use IMAP on both and you should be fine. Since you're using 2 clients, you want to be using IMAP anyway as it's designed for shared access.

POP is designed only for situations where only a single client is ever checking/fetching email. In your current setup, any emails fetched by the PC would not appear on your phone. You would miss emails if you left your PC on.

The link I provide explains the difference in more-detail.

I also strongly recommend using K-9 instead of the stock email app for IMAP email as it contains numerous improvements and bug-fixes.