1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support if i flash a bad bootloader , will my device be ruined for ever?

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Ghazi Ben Dahmen, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Ghazi Ben Dahmen

None

Jul 22, 2016
    Male
    I compiled android following the google tutorial for my nexus 6p and simply flashing the image system isn't working too well , it shows an android animation then the screen goes black , so i'm thinking maybe i should also flash the bootloader that the compilation generated
    But i'm afraid that if i flash my bootloader and it's a "bad" bootloader , same as the system image , i would lose my device forever , so i'm asking :
    If i have a bad bootloader is my devices hard bricked ?
    Did any of you compile android for any device and made it work ?

Advertisement

2. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    Welcome to our AndroidForums, @Ghazi Ben Dahmen :).

Did you mean "boot image" instead of "bootloader"? (I'm betting you actually didn't mean "bootloader"--typically, that's only done when flashing something like an updated factory image).

The bootloader wouldn't be generated from compiling from source, but pretty sure a new boot image would be.

The boot image contains your kernel (device drivers, etc.) and a RAM disk for booting-up Android.

The bootloader loads your boot image and indeed a bad flash of the bootloader would likely render your device inoperable.

I have compiled the Android source before, but it was a good while ago (a few years)...and I only flashed a portion of what was generated, though (the recovery partition).