• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root If i root 2.1 will i be able to get 2.2

So if I root my 2.1 will I be able to get the 2.2 or do I have to unroot to get Froyo? I've read conflicting answers to this question. I'd really like to get your answers. For it seems to me that you all have far more experience with this. Thanks for your help and perspectives.

Well considering the 2.2 update hasn't been released, no one can definitively answer that for you. You're getting conflicting answers because until it's released, all we can do is guess.

Rule of thumb is, though, that the more you hack up your phone, the more things are not "standard" and the more opportunities for any update to fail and either A) refuse to install, or B) brick your phone because it makes incorrect assumptions about what files are what, depending on what sorts of consistency checks it does prior to install.

Reactions: clarkeskitty
Upvote 0
Well considering the 2.2 update hasn't been released, no one can definitively answer that for you. You're getting conflicting answers because until it's released, all we can do is guess.

Rule of thumb is, though, that the more you hack up your phone, the more things are not "standard" and the more opportunities for any update to fail and either A) refuse to install, or B) brick your phone because it makes incorrect assumptions about what files are what, depending on what sorts of consistency checks it does prior to install.
Thank you Sremick I appreciate your help. All I really want to do is side load apps for now. I would love to have the courage to do all the exciting things I hear and read about. Unfortunately I'm so new at this (and a big chicken) that I'm terrified to try the advanced techniques I've read about. I don't want to mess my Cappy up I love her to much. So once again I give you heart felt thanks. I'm sure I well seek your guidance again.

Upvote 0
I am wondering the same thing as clarkeskitty... I understand the update hasn't officially been released, but we have all seen the videos of the update being out there. So if I root my 2.1, will I be able to update to 2.2?

The official update for 2.2 is not "out there". What you're seeing are videos of people who have hacked up other editions of Android 2.2 and forced them to (partially) work on the Captivate's hardware.

So repeating the OP's question doesn't really serve any purpose, and the answer remains the same. We don't know yet and won't until the official update is released.

Upvote 0
Just rooting and enabling sideloading probably won't prevent any official updates. If you load a leaked ROM like Cognition, you will probably not be able to get updates at least from OTA. (Maybe from using KIES to update)

Why I say the above:

1. I was able to update OTA the firmware version while rooted and sideload enabled with the original 2.1.

2. Once I loaded the leaked Froyo, the OTA updater can't update anything because it sees my phone as not applicable. Same with KIES.

D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones