• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

If I root a Samsung without a computer(using no computer root method) will I receive Software Update

genka3

Lurker
Jun 3, 2022
Basically what Im asking is if you root a Samsung without a computer method,

Will the update appear in settings like it normally does when the phone is not rooted?

If it does, can the download be accepted and the update installed normally, same as if the phone wasn't rooted?

Since the no computer method is used, will phone status stay "official" or will it be "modified"/"custom"?

Will a factory reset unroot a Samsung that has been rooted with the no computer method? I know that factory reset doesn't unroot android but Im curios if it makes a difference if the no computer method is used?

Sorry if the question is a little strange I don't have allot of knowledge on this so If you can give me an answer without mocking me I will be very thankful. I asked a similar question the other day but no one gave me an answer....

Basically what Im asking is if you root a Samsung without a computer method,

Will the update appear in settings like it normally does when the phone is not rooted?

If it does, can the download be accepted and the update installed normally, same as if the phone wasn't rooted?

Since the no computer method is used, will phone status stay "official" or will it be "modified"/"custom"?

Will a factory reset unroot a Samsung that has been rooted with the no computer method? I know that factory reset doesn't unroot android but Im curios if it makes a difference if the no computer method is used?

Sorry if the question is a little strange I don't have allot of knowledge on this so If you can give me an answer without mocking me I will be very thankful. I asked a similar question the other day but no one gave me an answer....

If it's a newer Samsung, i.e. more recent than Android 5x. you won't be able to root it without a computer and the correct method. Mainly because those app only exploit root methods don't work for Android 6 or later, like King Root, etc. And anything older just won't receive any updates from Samsung, as they're long out of support.

Last edited:
Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
rooted is rooted and it depends on the device. no root method is the same especially on newer devices. so it will depend on what samsung device you have. it will also depend on what processing chip it has. most exynos can easily be rooted. but snapdragon processors usually come with a locked bootloader....and they usually can't be unlocked.

like @mikedt said most root methods will need a pc. the one click methods of rooting like Kingo root used an old exploit that has long been patched up as it was a security breach of android which Google took care of. i never liked those methods because it took a lot of knowledge away from rooting. it made it too easy that folks never took the time to know what they were getting into when you have a rooted phone. learning the process of rooting will also help to trouble shoot should something go wrong.

it is possible for ota's to be sent on rooted phones. you should never accept them. it could unroot the phone. it could soft brick it. it could put the phone in a state that could be hard to fix. general rule for rooted phones is to never accept an update. always turn the feature to check for updates off. some custom roms do not even let updates to be checked.

and yes sometimes a factory reset can unroot the phone. it will depend on the device. not sure why you would want to do this on a rooted phone. there is a very useful tool that you need to install once the phone is rooted. it is called a custom recovery....in most cases TWRP is what you need. custom recoveries allows you to make nandroid backups of your phone. this is a complete copy of your phone. most of the times if you soft brick a phone, you should be able to get into recovery and restore a nandroid backup. DO NOT ROOT A PHONE UNLESS THERE IS A CUSTOM RECOVERY AVALIABLE!!!!!! i mean you can, but you run the risk of hard bricking the phone.

hope that answers your questions.....keep them coming if you have more.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The phone is Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra.

Can this phone be rooted without computer? look at what they say here on this site > https://trendywebz.com/how-to-root-samsung-galaxy-s20-ultra-5g-without-pc/
What do you think are they wrong?
So for example : the phone is rooted and I get a software update in settings, will accepting this download and installation give a warning "if you install this update your phone will be unrooted" or something similar like that?

Upvote 0

Can this phone be rooted without computer? look at what they say here on this site > https://trendywebz.com/how-to-root-samsung-galaxy-s20-ultra-5g-without-pc/

Well they refer to the King Root, that I've already mentioned, Kingo Root, and Iroot. None of those will work on modern Android versions. And those security exploit tools have long been discontinued by their devs. That site is just advertising click-bait, that has completely wrong information.

Iroot just shows an error about been unable to connect to server. That's because their server was ceased long ago.

You absolutely need a computer to root an S20, and must exactly follow a multi-step process, involving flashing the correct custom Recovery, and custom ROM.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hadron and ocnbrze
Upvote 0

So for example : the phone is rooted and I get a software update in settings, will accepting this download and installation give a warning "if you install this update your phone will be unrooted" or something similar like that?

first off don't believe everything you read on the internet.....case in point. the best place to go for all things root is https://www.xda-developers.com/. it is where developers go to post their various goodies, guides, and customs roms and recoveries. if xda does not have a forum for a specific device than that device does not have a community of devs to support it. just remember that no devs=no fun. i would not root a phone or device unless developers are supporting it.

you will not get any such warning. if you are rooted i would turn off update installs. there is no need to update a rooted phone. if there are custom roms made by developers, then all you would need to do is wait for a dev to create a custom rom based off of the new update.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In what cases can factory reset unroot phone?
None. If you want to unroot the only sure way is to reflash the phone with stock firmware.

Remember that all a factory reset does is erase /data and /cache, i.e. clear user-installed apps, data and settings. Rooting involves modifying the system (traditional root tools) or boot image (magisk), and a factory reset does nothing at all to these, just as it doesn't undo official system updates. It's just a data wipe, nothing more.

Upvote 0
Are you sure that you can only root Samsung S20 Ultra with computer? Does that only apply to S20 ultra or all android? Im not saying you guys are wrong, Is just that I read so many things online if you google root without computer a milion results and guides come out. Sorry if this is stupid question.

Upvote 0
I don't know: rooting methods vary between devices and with time, so there might be (perhaps historically) some method which relied on something installed in the user space, which would then be erased by a reset. I could more easily imagine a setup where you lost access to root because something was deleted without technically unrooting the device. Or if you had some fix that tricked the phone into loading a modified image from the user space rather than the usual partition (but that still needs to trick the bootloader into doing that, so there would be some system modification somewhere, and so even if a reset broke it it wouldn't return the phone to true stock state). I'm speculating here as to how I might design a root that would be broken by a reset, not describing anything I know exists.

You certainly should not install official over the air updates after rooting, though these days many devices wouldn't even let you do that. The problem is that the results are unpredictable: it might simply unroot you, but it might introduce other bugs because the update is being applied to modified software rather than the setup it was designed and tested for.

Reactions: ocnbrze and mikedt
Upvote 0
Are you sure that you can only root Samsung S20 Ultra with computer? Does that only apply to S20 ultra or all android? Im not saying you guys are wrong, Is just that I read so many things online if you google root without computer a milion results and guides come out. Sorry if this is stupid question.

AFAIK it's all Andoid versions from 6.x and later, that can't be rooted with just an app on the device itself.

You can determine if the S20 has been rooted or otherwise hacked, by checking the Phone status, which should be "Official" and not "Custom". Also check the Knox status flag and Warranty Void status flag, both should be "0x0". If they're like "0x1" or something, you've got a problem.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
The problem is that the internet is a great repository of information, but it's also a great repository of out of date information, or plain clickbait, deliberate misinformation or information that the person posting it hasn't checked. But any site that tells you that King Root or Kingo Root will root an s20 Ultra is pushing misinformation. That may just be because to generate clicks they automatically recycle the same stuff they wrote years ago with newer device names, without caring whether it's right or not - I can only speculate as to why they would post such stuff. But those one-click-root apps have not worked for years.

So yes, prior to Android 6 all of this stuff worked. You may find some more recent devices where such exploits still work - Chinese "fake" phones often use old Android versions that have been reprogrammed to pretend to be newer (seriously!), so they would still have the necessary vulnerabilities. But an s20 Ultra? No chance. In fact any even reasonably modern android will need a computer. Even with an older device, if you still hope to be able to use things like banking, payment apps or many media apps, I would avoid a non-computer method: the root methods that are best at hiding root very definitely rely on a computer (indeed if you are thinking of rooting I would first check whether any individual apps that you care about still work after root: don't rely on some statement like "this Magisk module hides root", check whether it allows that specific app to run).

One thing you've not said is what type of s20 Ultra you have? If it's a North American Snapdragon-based model then the question isn't whether a non-computer method can work but whether it can be rooted at all: recent Snapdragon-based Samsungs are very hard indeed to root, in many cases impossible. If it's a Exynos-based model (as sold in much of the world) then you have a better chance, e.g. my s21 has an official bootloader unlock method, which a Snapdragon-based one would not have.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones