• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root If I root for Froyo, what then?

K.P.

May 8, 2010
Apologies if this has been asked and answered (so many forums and subforums I have looked through), or if I get some terminology wrong.

I have a Desire from Vodafone (UK) that came with its practically invisible branding. Voda recently put out an update (that I have not installed yet) that would load it up with a bunch of branding bloatware. Word is that when they put out their Froyo update, it will have the same unremovable bloatware. I'd rather not have that.

If I root my Desire (with, say, unrEVOked) and install an official stock Froyo ROM (such as was received by those with completely unbranded Desires), what happens after that? Will I then have an essentially unbranded Desire that receives automatic OTA updates for bug-fixes (and, just maybe, Gingerbread)?

Or will I be stuck with a possibly buggy version of Froyo while waiting for a similar root-method to develop to install a bug-fixing patch?

Any input welcome, thanks!

you don't receive OTA updates when rooted. if rooted, you could flash on the rooted official 2.2 rom, which gives you 2.2 froyo but whilst still being rooted.

if you want official OTA updates, then its best not to root. although i've heard that the 2.2 OTA update has been pulled due to problems.. can't confirm whether its true. and don't know how you could get around the sneaky vodafone updates..

there are many roms to use when rooted, over at xda, but you use them at your own risk :)

hope that helps mate.

Upvote 0
Ah, ok. I thought I had read that of one installs the official stock Froyo2.2 that went out over the air, one would lose root--and be unable to install a different ROM after that.

So it is possible to root, install official stock Froyo, and install a different ROM later (official update or otherwise) if the official stock Froyo starts showing bugs?

Upvote 0
Ah, ok. I thought I had read that of one installs the official stock Froyo2.2 that went out over the air, one would lose root--and be unable to install a different ROM after that.

So it is possible to root, install official stock Froyo, and install a different ROM later (official update or otherwise) if the official stock Froyo starts showing bugs?

Just don't install the OTA version & you will be ok, install the one from xda as that has been rooted so you will get no problems.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones