1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root If i root my TB, will i be able to unroot if needed for warranty??

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Johnny Doomzday, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Johnny Doomzday

Johnny Doomzday Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 6, 2010
    Orlando Fl
    Reason im asking is like many of you i have insurance on my device and if it breaks or somthing, i know rooting will void warranty.

Could i unroot before sending it back? would they know?...

Advertisement

2. Romikemi

Romikemi Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 17, 2011
    OFL
    I'm going to answer yes.

I'm on my third TB (#1: front facing camera fail, #2: unable to authenticate to market). I rooted both. I was able to get #1 100% back to like new. I was not able to reverse one step in the rooting process on #2, even with help from the IRC channel and specifically from the person who wrote the root and unroot guides for Android Police, jcase.

I ended up sending #2 back with the user interface totally stock, but the bootloader was s-off. This will mean more to you once you root, but basically it means that if someone were to probe into detail, they would find that I did steps involved in rooting.

I was never contacted about or billed for the replacement of that device.

I do not think that my situation is common. I am careful when I follow instructions, and I rooted and unrooted about 4-5 times to try to get the bootloader to lock again. No joy, and that meant I had to sweat out whether I'd be contacted about it. Not a peep.

GrandMasterB and Johnny Doomzday like this.
  3. WBMc36

WBMc36 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 1, 2010
    Full time student
    Pittsburgh/Erie
    chances are if you can get it back to s-on they would have no clue. Even if you left it s-off like the above poster, the chances that they actually go into the bootloader and look at that are slim. They would probably turn the device on and check to make sure what you said is happening actually happens then toss it off to be refurbished. Personally i haven't yet heard of anyone being charged for sending in a rooted phone, but i wouldn't risk it.

4. scotty85

scotty85 Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    Neat. What things did you guys try in order to get s-on back? What happened when you tried them?

Wonder if its possible to replicate your situation. I'd love for my phone to be s-off no matter what I did to it :D pretty spoiled by that feature on my incredible ;)

5. Romikemi

Romikemi Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 17, 2011
    OFL
    Scotty, the typical that you'd expect, unroot procedure, re-root to try unroot again, redownload everything, root again, unroot, reroot but stop at downgrade then unroot. Each time, the RUUs would process fine. Justin basically assumed the phone was shipped to me s-off, and I couldn't recall 100% whether it was s-on at first.

The market wanted nothing to do with it, so it might have been a mutant or previously touched. It was not a green sticker CLNR, it was a brown box unit, which I understood to be excess new inventory used for replacements until a pool of CLNRs is built up.

6. McLabia

McLabia Android Expert
    None

Mar 18, 2011
    Male
    Working...
    City of Sharks to the City of Live Music!
    Ive used this method twice now for sending my phone in for repairs.

xda-developers - View Single Post - [HOWTO] Restore to stock for root users and non-root users UPDATED 5/17/2011

Follow the directions and youll be all good. I was worried about the same thing when I got my phone.