• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

If i switch from EVO to Photon....

excav8ter

Android Enthusiast
Mar 14, 2010
What happens to my music that I have from music junk? I am also wondering about my pictures as well? I know my apps will follow through appbrain and my contacts can be pushed to the new phone.

Also does the photon come with an SD micro card or not? I opened one at Best Buy tonight, and did not see one in the box.

My EVO has been the BEST phone I have ever had... by far! I hope the Photon, if I decide to get it, will be as good.

Is the Photon going to be "better"?

Thanks

(deleted cause I have no idea what I'm talking about, lol)

Outside of that, there are some options to back up your phone (the more powerful ones require root, which I've never done), but I don't know if any of those will backup the files on your card. Even if it did, I'd copy them manually anyway just to be safe, but I am paranoid. :)

Upvote 0
As far as I know, nothing on your SD card will transfer to the new phone. You will need to save the contents onto your computer. But, I've never moved from one android phone to another before, so I might be wrong about what can or cannot be moved to the new phone.

Outside of that, there are some options to back up your phone (the more powerful ones require root, which I've never done), but I don't know if any of those will backup the files on your card. Even if it did, I'd copy them manually anyway just to be safe, but I am paranoid. :)

Music and pictures will transfer over so long as you have them on the SD card. However most apps will not.

Also to answer the OP the Photon did not come with a micro SD card since it has around 8 gigs of memory on the phone itself.

Reactions: excav8ter
Upvote 0
As far as I know, nothing on your SD card will transfer to the new phone. You will need to save the contents onto your computer. But, I've never moved from one android phone to another before, so I might be wrong about what can or cannot be moved to the new phone.

I've never switched brands and models of phone either but have had a replacement evo 4 times and each time it recognized my music and pictures.

Upvote 0
Music and pictures will transfer over so long as you have them on the SD card. However most apps will not.

Also to answer the OP the Photon did not come with a micro SD card since it has around 8 gigs of memory on the phone itself.

When I download music from music junk, does it go to the SD card? Will the SD card from my EVO work in the Photon? If so, all I should have to do is install the SD card. Appbrain should take care of my apps, right?

Upvote 0
What happens to my music that I have from music junk? I am also wondering about my pictures as well? I know my apps will follow through appbrain and my contacts can be pushed to the new phone.

Also does the photon come with an SD micro card or not? I opened one at Best Buy tonight, and did not see one in the box.

My EVO has been the BEST phone I have ever had... by far! I hope the Photon, if I decide to get it, will be as good.

Is the Photon going to be "better"?

Thanks

If it helps at all, I love my EVO and wasn't planning on upgrading (Even with the EVO 3D announcement) until the Photon was announced. Once it was announced and pricing was confirmed, there was no question for me that I was upgrading.

It really depends on what your needs are. If you still love the EVO, no reason for you to upgrade really. If you read some of the reviews, and look at some of the videos, you'll see that the Photon is pretty much the EVO 4G w/ some upgrades in certain departments that the EVO probably would've been good to have from the very beginning (e.g. more app storage space internally, international phone, easier to hold form factor, ability to go into landscape on homescreens, faster processor, etc, etc.).

Upvote 0
You mean the 16 gigs of internal memory on the phone.

No, I think he really did mean 8gb because of all the bloatware and everything else pre-loaded on the phone.

The total amount of internal storage that has been reported was 2.9GB for apps and 8.9gb of internal storage. The rest of the internal storage is being used up for system data and bloatware.

I've been thinking it's 11.2GB available total, but others have thought this to mean that the 2.9GB comes out of the 8.9GB. I don't know if anybody definitively confirmed yet.

Reactions: burgertime
Upvote 0
No, I think he really did mean 8gb because of all the bloatware and everything else pre-loaded on the phone.

The total amount of internal storage that has been reported was 2.9GB for apps and 8.9gb of internal storage. The rest of the internal storage is being used up for system data and bloatware.

I've been thinking it's 11.2GB available total, but others have thought this to mean that the 2.9GB comes out of the 8.9GB. I don't know if anybody definitively confirmed yet.

Good question, and someone else brought this up in another thread that possibly whats using up alot of the extra storage is the Linux system it boots into for web top mode. It makes sense to me at least

Upvote 0
Hey all, thanks for the replies. I have learned some good info. Only one question remains for me... is my music, from music junk, on my SD card? And can I just put my SD card into the photon?
Best Buy opens at 11 am, I need to decide soon if I am going to get it because they only have 4.
Thanks

Upvote 0
Hey all, thanks for the replies. I have learned some good info. Only one question remains for me... is my music, from music junk, on my SD card? And can I just put my SD card into the photon?
Best Buy opens at 11 am, I need to decide soon if I am going to get it because they only have 4.
Thanks

Any music you put on your SD card will work with the Photon 4G also the same SD card you used for your Evo will work with the Photon. I'm not sure if all your apps from the Evo will transfer to the Photon but some will, I guess if Ur missing any apps just download them again from the Photon...

Upvote 0
Thanks

My Best Buy also only had 4. I don't know what quantity they normally get for a first shipment of a phone but 4 seems awfully low to me. But as the manager pointed out, the Photon was not widely advertised.
I hope you're loving your Photon as much as I'm loving mine! One more thing I love about it...it's noon & I have over 3/4 of a battery. With my Evo I'd have to be putting it on the charger about now.

Upvote 0
My Best Buy also only had 4. I don't know what quantity they normally get for a first shipment of a phone but 4 seems awfully low to me. But as the manager pointed out, the Photon was not widely advertised.
I hope you're loving your Photon as much as I'm loving mine! One more thing I love about it...it's noon & I have over 3/4 of a battery. With my Evo I'd have to be putting it on the charger about now.

I am going to hold off for a few days, I want to see how the Photon is received now that it is available I store. I am considering the Samsung within also. But I have heard that Samsung phones seem to have more than their share of issues. I bought my self an Epic when that came out, and immediately found I did not care for that particular device and gave it to my wife, and I stayed with the EVO. My wife likes it, but its very laggy.

Upvote 0

What's funny is, as I was sitting there getting my Photon paid, a guy walks up with his girlfriend and asked if they had the photon and wanted 2 of them. He was trading in another phone, but wasn't sure which one.

Upvote 0
How is everyone liking their screen on the Photon? There has been some talk of poor picture and video quality. The Best Buy down the road from me has a few left yet and they are holding one for me till closing time tomorrow night. I don't want to go with the evo 3D, because the 3D bugs my eyes, and the Samsung within is still 2 months away from release. Should I wait for the Within (epic touch)? Or just go with the Photon? I know its a personal choice, but I like to hear what other people think. Their just hasn't been a lot of hype around the Photon. I doubt I would seriously consider the iPhone 5 if it really comes to sprint.

Upvote 0
How is everyone liking their screen on the Photon? There has been some talk of poor picture and video quality. The Best Buy down the road from me has a few left yet and they are holding one for me till closing time tomorrow night. I don't want to go with the evo 3D, because the 3D bugs my eyes, and the Samsung within is still 2 months away from release. Should I wait for the Within (epic touch)? Or just go with the Photon? I know its a personal choice, but I like to hear what other people think. Their just hasn't been a lot of hype around the Photon. I doubt I would seriously consider the iPhone 5 if it really comes to sprint.

Actually, someone posted in the Photon vs. SG2 thread that September is the estimated launch.

That said, that's really not a question that people can answer for you because it's up to you to judge with your own eyes if you'll like it. I'm sure Sprint will have working display models by now that you can take a look at. Realitstically, everyones eyes are different and will view the screen differently.

Me personally, I like the screen a lot. While I surprisingly noticed the "screen door" effect (using certain wallpapers and scrolling through brighter web pages) that people have mentioned, for me it's not enough of a deal breaker to go with Samsung (and no matter how good the specs are, I won't go with Samsung until their mobile device support improves its reputation in the US drastically from past years of historically not having great support).

As for the "hype" around the Photon...that's really irrelevant and the only way for it to continue to gain momentum and "hype" that you're referring to is for more people to buy the device, so that the development community will see good reason to support it.

Upvote 0

There was a leaked sprint road map and they have a Samsung phone coming out the 21st and then one 2 months later. I would guess the SGSII is the one on the 21st. There was no mention of the iPhone5 on it either.

Upvote 0

It really depends on you. If you like to mod and need a large developing community, then go 3d. If you want a phone that just simply works like it should and don't mind the screen then get the MoPho. It seems like the 'smarter' the phone gets, then the poorer it actually performs as a regular phone. That is not the case with the photon. It. Simply. Works.

For me here's what I love about this phone that the 3vo doesn't meet my standards on.
The beveled screen, (its gorilla glass)
Call quality
Radio signal
Form factor
Build quality

Those are the basics every phone should start with but it's not the case anymore.

Upvote 0
Actually, someone posted in the Photon vs. SG2 thread that September is the estimated launch.

That said, that's really not a question that people can answer for you because it's up to you to judge with your own eyes if you'll like it. I'm sure Sprint will have working display models by now that you can take a look at. Realitstically, everyones eyes are different and will view the screen differently.

Me personally, I like the screen a lot. While I surprisingly noticed the "screen door" effect (using certain wallpapers and scrolling through brighter web pages) that people have mentioned, for me it's not enough of a deal breaker to go with Samsung (and no matter how good the specs are, I won't go with Samsung until their mobile device support improves its reputation in the US drastically from past years of historically not having great support).

As for the "hype" around the Photon...that's really irrelevant and the only way for it to continue to gain momentum and "hype" that you're referring to is for more people to buy the device, so that the development community will see good reason to support it.

Thanks, I will hope that Best buy has a working model tomorrow and see what I think of it. I am leaning more towards the "moto photo " because of the info I am gathering here.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones