1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

If I tether to a Tablet...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by hkbladelawhk, Oct 2, 2014.

1. hkbladelawhk

hkbladelawhk Newbie

I'm looking into upgrading to the Note 4 when it releases, but one big thing for me is the ability to tether to my tablet unrestricted. Now I'm not sure if I'm not using tether data because the tablet is an android and the network can't tell or not, or because Hyperdrive has the provisioning removed. Probably the second.

Long story short, can the carrier tell if I'm using data from a tablet vs my phone? Presuming I'd be running a stock Note 4.

I've looked around a bit and haven't found an answer quite this specific.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. DonB

DonB ♡ Truth, Justice and the American Way !! ♡ ™

Since you are going to be upgrading to a N4 this should be asked here in the device forum, so others can help and guide you.

3. Teegunn

Teegunn Android Expert

You can tether all you want - they don't care, you are using the data you paid for. Unless you are on an unlimited plan, they may restrict that, I got rid of my unlimited a couple years back. So tether is built into the Note 3, you can use it with any device just like a wireless router. I've done it many times. Comes in handy when your home internet is crapped out for whatever reason (I live in the country and don't have DSL but a line of sight dish type internet that drops signal for hours sometimes). All I have to do is enable wireless tethering on my phone and any device can find it just like a wireless router. It's very fast on 4g too. Way faster than my normal internet honestly. If Verizon offered an unlimited internet hotspot I would use that, but they don't, it's all metered on a pay by GB plan. Kids use Netflix, etc, so they burn through hundreds of GB a month. No go on a limited plan.

4. hkbladelawhk

hkbladelawhk Newbie

It's a generic question, doesn't specifically apply to the Note 4. Can the Carrier tell if you're tethering to another android? Or Does tethering to another android use your tethering data?

This didn't remotely answer my question. Thanks for trying though :)

5. chong67

chong67 Android Expert

Yah you can tether because its part of Android functionality.

Now there is illegal tether which you do undetected and there is the one that comes with your plan but you have to pay for it.

6. Teegunn

Teegunn Android Expert

Either way you are using data, which they will notice. That was my point - tethering is part of android now because you are using data through your phone. Doesn't matter what device is tethered to your phone....

7. grmcrkrs

grmcrkrs Lurker

" Or Does tethering to another android use your tethering data?"

For Verizon LTE phones, data is data, there's no distinction between regular data and tethering data.

Which carrier are you going with?

8. Voxelflinger

Voxelflinger Lurker

At&T tethering goes by your plan. If you are unlimited you get throttled after 4 GB until the end of the month. If you attempt to tether your device will tell you to call AT&T for information.

If you have a regular data plan AT&T offers per use tethering per month/bucket. If you need to tether for a road trip or event you can buy 10 to 20 GB and use it until you reach the limit. You will not get the contact AT&T message if you attempt to tether.

New users now have tethering included in the data plan until your bucket is depleted.

Unlimited users will have to select a different data plan if they want to tether.

We have 2 Galaxy Note 1 phones we upgraded to the Galaxy Note 4s.
    Mine is unlimited and the wife's can tether so I tested my ability to tether. I can't, the phone will not let me.

My plan changes to 15 GB in a week so I can tether when I need it.

9. gadgetgalbb

gadgetgalbb Newbie

Data is data. It doesn't matter if you are using the browser on your phone or have a tablet tether to it. Just like others have said, the carrier doesn't care as long as you are paying for it. If unlimited, they may restricted or slow it down after a set GB or if on Verizon unlimited they have agreed to not slow it down. So to answer your question yes you can use it unrestricted depending on your plan on the phone. Doesn't matter that it's a tablet tethered to it.

10. Muneco

Muneco Newbie

If you have t mobile you have to pay 5 bucks extra for tethering. You can't tether without it unless you root the phone which voids the warranty

I have unlimited data

11. Voxelflinger

Voxelflinger Lurker

AT&T does treat data different on an unlimited plan. You are not allowed to tether on an unlimited plan period. You have to give up the unlimited plan if you want to tether.

If you are on a bucket plan AT&T then does not care if you tether or not. Data in a bucket plan is data and tethering does not matter only if you have a metered plan.

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date was October 2014. Features and Specs include a 5.7" inch screen, 16MP camera, 3GB RAM, Snapdragon 805 processor, and 3220mAh battery.

October 2014
Release Date
Reviews