• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help If I Were to Factory Reset...

What about contacts? If they r saved under my gmail then will they just come back up? And if so is there a way to change the contacts from phone to gmail? I always chose phone bc i didn't know why I should save to gmail. I just dont want to have to really input all my contacs.

yeah if you sync them, they are automatically backed up to gmail, and when you start over and add your account to your phone again you get em back

Upvote 0
Next question...and I'm sure it's been answered so my apologies in advance...

How exactly does one reset the phone? I've never done this before...

What Killadanny said. You can either just wipe the OS or wipe the OS and internal storage. I opted to do both to start completely clean. Don't know which is the better route.

What about contacts? If they r saved under my gmail then will they just come back up? And if so is there a way to change the contacts from phone to gmail? I always chose phone bc i didn't know why I should save to gmail. I just dont want to have to really input all my contacs.

When I booted up for the first time and logged into my Google account and Facebook account, most of my contacts were back. I noticed a few were missing and I don't know why.

I backed everything up using MyBackup, but tried to restore the Dictionary and it didn't work. Contacts it says will erase all contacts and restore my old ones, so I'm going to try and avoid it for now as I prefer the syncing with Google.

Upvote 0
Next question...and I'm sure it's been answered so my apologies in advance...

How exactly does one reset the phone? I've never done this before...

same here. Do I just go into Settings > Phone and SD Storage > then Factory Data Reset AND Phone Storage reset?

Hate to think too much, but I also need to admit I want to be sure what I'm doing. thanks

Upvote 0
so does things run better.... (to the peeps that reset because of problems)

Mine ran great after the update, but I did a factory reset soon thereafter just for the hell of it (I always like a clean OS when upgrading).

I had a hiccup today where it rebooted when I was trying to get audio to work on a Flash site (which worked yesterday and again after the reboot). Other than that, been flawless.

Upvote 0
Before doing a Factory Reset, follow this guide: Back-up (Almost) Everything Before RUU/Factory Reset

Hope this helps!
Spin

Oh, I did, brutha, and thanks again. I did the factory reset, and need to get my apps from AppBrain online back to my phone. I don't see a sync button, does it sync in that direction (online ---> phone) ?

I downloaded AppBrain onto my phone and logged in, but it won't sync and get my apps back... any suggestions?

Figured it out. Pretty dumb how they don't really differentiate between "Apps on your phone" and "Apps on the Droid Incredible". Makes it more confusing. Select all from 'Phone' and move over to 'INcredible'. Done. AND all data is retained!!

As far as i can tell, after my factory reset and getting my phone set up all nice and perty again, it does seem better. It remains to be seen whether its 3 to 7x faster, because for some reason my own home has lousy reception.

But the slowness and lag seems gone and several other very noticeable bugs also seem fixed. So I highly recommend the factory reset.

It's a pain in the a** getting everything back in place but worth it. It's still a great phone, but for all the frickin' delays in releasing Froyo, it's disappointing to see so many people having significant post-update issues. Too bad. We shouldn't have to be doing all this extra work because of an update for crying out loud!

Upvote 0
One last question (yeah right!) about factory reset...

I downloaded the latest version of Flash 10.1 (.92) yesterday from droid life. Will a factory reset send me back to .72 (version that came with froyo) or will I keep the new version? This version is not yet available in the market, so I'm assuming it's not on Appbrain yet...

Upvote 0
One last question (yeah right!) about factory reset...

I downloaded the latest version of Flash 10.1 (.92) yesterday from droid life. Will a factory reset send me back to .72 (version that came with froyo) or will I keep the new version? This version is not yet available in the market, so I'm assuming it's not on Appbrain yet...

It should take you back to 72. Easy enough to check though. After resetting Menu->settings->Applications->Manage Applications->All ( very important...it wont show up under downloaded ) and look for Adobe Flash Player 10.1 ( should be 1 of the first ones since it is listed under Adobe. ) and click it. You will see just under the main name "version 10.1.XX.X" , if it's 72 just re-do the update:)

Upvote 0
I have been following your post...just got Froyo 2.2 today and am planning to do factory reset to address some bugs and have done all backups. Question....when I reset the phone will it update with 2.2 automatically or reset to 2.1? If so how do I get 2.2 back on the phone> Thaanks

If you update to 2.2 and do a factory reset, 2.2 will stay there. 2.1 will be gone.

Upvote 0
i don't think the market remembers, but i can't say for sure since i went right to appbrain.

Here's what you do.

Install appbrain and create an account. Sync with appbrain. Factory reset.

After you reset, download appbrain and sync. Go to the website and sign in. Click "my apps."

you will see your apps lists on the left-top. It should say "apps on the htc droid incredible." it'll have 2 lists (one since the reset, one from before). Find the one that has all your apps pre-reset and "select all." add to list (and choose the other list).

Go back to appbrain on phone and sync.

Now you should see all your apps waiting to be installed. Click "perform installs" and you should know the drill from there.

hi seattle..

I did what u explain and i could do it but i have a problem with the pais apps that i have... I wont let me install them...is only giviing me the option of buying

Upvote 0
Quick AppBrain question: so after a factory reset when you sync your apps back to your phone, is it at the same place for games that you were at before the reset?

Sounds kind of trivial (I know) but I play the Alchemy game and have like only a few elements to go before I complete all of them. I highly doubt I'll remember everything if I had to start from scratch again, and really don't want to.

Upvote 0
I don't think the Market remembers, but I can't say for sure since I went right to AppBrain.

Here's what you do.

Install AppBrain and create an account. Sync with AppBrain. Factory Reset.

After you reset, download AppBrain and Sync. Go to the website and sign in. Click "My Apps."

You will see your Apps Lists on the left-top. It should say "Apps on the HTC Droid Incredible." It'll have 2 lists (one since the reset, one from before). Find the one that has all your apps pre-reset and "Select All." Add to list (and choose the other list).

Go back to AppBrain on phone and Sync.

Now you should see all your apps waiting to be installed. Click "Perform Installs" and you should know the drill from there.

I tried this. My apps are on Appbrain, but I can't figure out how to get them back on my phone...suggestions?

Just figured it out, thanks...

Upvote 0
Quick AppBrain question: so after a factory reset when you sync your apps back to your phone, is it at the same place for games that you were at before the reset?

Sounds kind of trivial (I know) but I play the Alchemy game and have like only a few elements to go before I complete all of them. I highly doubt I'll remember everything if I had to start from scratch again, and really don't want to.

For what it's worth, I just did a factory reset and moved all my AppBrain apps back over to my phone and after sign in or whatever for them, they all retained their data. Don't have any games, but I presume it would keep all data. I was pretty relieved.

Upvote 0
I tried this. My apps are on Appbrain, but I can't figure out how to get them back on my phone...suggestions?

Just figured it out, thanks...

I know, it was a PITA! It's not very clear online what the difference between "Apps on your phone" and "Apps on the Droid Incredible". WTF! So I had to waste time tooling around and figured it out. Why isn't there a simple button that says, "Sync apps back to phone". Not very intuitive.

Upvote 0
Last night my phone updated to Froyo. After the update, some issues came around (the stock HTC player no longer saves the position in the song after paused, general lagginess). After doing some searching, I want to try a factory reset to see what it will fix. But before that, I had a few questions about it. Obviously it will reset all data, but is there anything I need to back up other than the music and pictures I have on my phone? Also is there an app or something that will record what apps I had installed and either reinstall them for me, or show a list?

On another thread, I saw people were updating from factory defaults to 2.2 with a .zip obtained some where. Where can I get this .zip, and how do I install it?

Upvote 0
Last night my phone updated to Froyo. After the update, some issues came around (the stock HTC player no longer saves the position in the song after paused, general lagginess). After doing some searching, I want to try a factory reset to see what it will fix. But before that, I had a few questions about it. Obviously it will reset all data, but is there anything I need to back up other than the music and pictures I have on my phone? Also is there an app or something that will record what apps I had installed and either reinstall them for me, or show a list?

On another thread, I saw people were updating from factory defaults to 2.2 with a .zip obtained some where. Where can I get this .zip, and how do I install it?

As far as backup, you will also want contacts. If all of your contacts are under google contacts, you are fine. When you reset, it will have you sign in with your google account again and automatically redownload your google contacts. However, if you used phone contacts for any contacts, then you will need to back them up.

For apps, you can use Appbrain, though I recommend using it as a list like you mentioned, rather than to backup and restore due to some minor issues. ( Unless you have A LOT of apps...though even then, this would be a good excuse to clean house, hehe. )

For details on backing up:
http://androidforums.com/incredible...most-everything-before-ruu-factory-reset.html

For update.zip:
Manually Update Your Droid Incredible to Android 2.2 (Froyo) | Android Phone Fans

Reactions: SnagglezMaw
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones