1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

If I were to root my phone, would I be able to receive system updates from HTC?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Jerzy777, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Jerzy777

Jerzy777 Lurker

Im thinking not because I'm forced to use a non-stock rom, correct? Is there a way to root it without changing your rom?

Advertisement

2. Faydes

Faydes Well-Known Member

you can always go back to the stock roms and update those as it goes. They are openly available here =)

3. Leslie Ann

Leslie Ann Android Expert

You do NOT want to accept any updates once you are rooted.

However, give it a few days and the devs will pull apart the update and incorporate anything new. You won't miss out on anything, in fact, you are better off this way as you have devs running block in case of problems, and unlike stock users, you have a way to go back if it's a bad update.

Many Optimus V users regret updating to the latest software for their phones (Virgin pulled the update) and Sprint actually went so far as to redo the GB update for the Optimus S after they had so many complaints. Ask intercept users how well their update to Froyo went.

4. gary93

gary93 Well-Known Member

I've rooted mine a couple days ago. I'm planing on staying on stock Rom. I just needed root to use some rooted app. So if I want to update, do I need to unrooted it for the update?

5. Leslie Ann

No.

When an update comes out, again, give it a day or two for devs to dissect it, and one of us will come out with a patch that is safe and won't ruin your root. It's usually pretty simple to do once we have it.

ZAXIS likes this.
  6. Snake X

Snake X Android Expert

tho how would it ruin the phone? Couldnt we re-root it and restore it back to the way we liked it?

7. DAN040790

DAN040790 Member

Actually Leslie, there's an app called "Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper". This is specifically what it's for too. You run it when you have root, and when you update your phone, you run it again and it gives you root access back. I'm not quite sure how it works because I haven't looked at it, but it does work for sure. I've used it quite a bit.

8. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy

Taking an OTA wouldn't re-lock your bootloader. And, if it did, you could just re-unlock it using HTC dev and just repeat the rooting process. As for the OTA...from experience with the Evo 3D, the OTA message would pop up, and if you said ok, it'd download, extract, then fail to detect that you're a stock phone and fail. But if you just want to save yourself the trouble, you can disable the app called "updater" and it won't even detect an OTA. Or simply uncheck the option in HTC Software updates.

Worst case scenario is that you take the OTA, it flashes, and your phone acts goofy until you re-unlock (forcing you to wipe your settings) then reflash a custom recovery and a ROM. Maybe you would have to flash the RUU, too. But nothing un-recoverable. I would still recommend that you avoid OTAs, just so you don't go through the entire hassle of re-rooting again.

9. Leslie Ann

Exactly, odds are you will just have to re-root, but why mess with it?
    You risk not just the effort, but also problems with the update being a problem or causing a conflict.

Not that we as devs always get it right (trust me on that one!), but automatically accepting updates is ALWAYS a recipe for disaster. And not just on Android.

10. rubejb

rubejb Android Enthusiast

I realize this post is fairly old, but I was wondering where I'd get these "safe patches".

I recently got a replacement phone from VM, checked for updates before I rooted, figuring I'd take care of it ahead of time. There were none, which I thought was odd.

But of course now that I'm rooted I get an update notification.

11. xstefen

xstefen Android Expert

Like zip flashable OTAs, last one with the 2.95 upgrades, which was a partial upgrade. i cant think of a flashable full OTA to get rid of system notifications for update. RUU -> FULLY UPDATE -> Root :)

12. OverByter

OverByter Resident Slide Rule Guru

I used the flashable zips and never had the notification return, especially taking the last one leaving you on the 1.58 hboot with no RUU to fall back on if you're not s-offed.
    OB

13. rubejb

rubejb Android Enthusiast

Could you direct me to these flashable zips? I've got a system update to do but it fails because I'm rooted and have a custom recovery.

Thanks!