• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

If not the Evo, what are my choices for a 3G phone for a Sprint user?

spabman

May 24, 2010
Chicago
I live in Chicago and we have 4G, but I'm not interested in the $10 extra/month charge for running 4G right now. What options do I have? I want an Android phone and I want Android 2.2 when it comes out. Are the HTC Hero and Samsung Moment my only choices for 2010? I really want that larger screen on the Evo and the 1GHZ Snapdragon proc, but the Incredible isn't an option since it's on Verizon. Any suggestions?

It is true, $10 jump is still a better deal than 3G anywhere else. I'm just surprised that HTC and Sprint didn't go ahead and release a 3G phone for those people living in areas where 4G is a ways off. I've yet to see test speeds here in Chicago, but then again I'm using a Samsung Instinct and anything is better than this piece of crap.

Upvote 0
Wow am I sick of the EVO. Seriously, the thing is like a laptop. For Sprint customers who actually want to carry their phone in their pocket, the EVO is a deal-breaker.

The size of the Hero is perfect, but the hardware is dated. I'm just venting, but I really want a Hero 2, and all everyone talks about and all I see on Sprint.com is the EVO. It gets annoying after a while.

Upvote 0
Wow am I sick of the EVO. Seriously, the thing is like a laptop. For Sprint customers who actually want to carry their phone in their pocket, the EVO is a deal-breaker.

The size of the Hero is perfect, but the hardware is dated. I'm just venting, but I really want a Hero 2, and all everyone talks about and all I see on Sprint.com is the EVO. It gets annoying after a while.

Gotta LOOOVE the HATERS. Not really....

The EVO is in fact, very pocket-able, unless you wear EMO pants.

Upvote 0

yeah dude your over reacting. the evo is far from a laptop. its actually just barely bigger than the incredible or an iphone. its basically the same size as an iphone with a case on it.

sure its on the bigger side of a phone but to completely dismiss it as being too larger for a marginal size increase is just stupid. and of coarse your going to hear or see the evo left and right...its one of the most anticipated phones, a lot of people are talking about it..

Upvote 0
Yes, maybe I am over-reacting and I'm certainly opiniated. I'm new to the smartphone market and these are my first impressions. I haven't obviously held the EVO, but as I mentioned in an earlier post, the Sprint rep had his hands on one earlier this month and was being pretty humorous about how big it was. This is a sales guy and he was saying "Dude, the thing is massive. I mean way bigger than this phone [pointing to a big Blackberry]" He said it's not very "pocket friendly."

Anyway, I'll have to wait and actually see one physically. Specs are one thing, but until I can actually hold it... that's what really matters.

And just to keep things fair, even if it is on the big side of smartphones, hardware-wise it's amazing. That I won't dispute. And you gotta love the under-dog (Sprint) pulling it off!

-V

Upvote 0
While slightly larger than the iPhone, and looks-wise the same as T-Mobile's HTC HD2, it is wafer thin. Reminds me of Motorola Blade years ago which offered a thinner phone, but larger. Since HTC has so much real estate on this phone, it's made up with depth. I have a pair of Levi jeans on and was able to slide the thing in my pocket easily. Wouldn't want to bend down with it though! :)

Upvote 0
While slightly larger than the iPhone, and looks-wise the same as T-Mobile's HTC HD2, it is wafer thin. Reminds me of Motorola Blade years ago which offered a thinner phone, but larger. Since HTC has so much real estate on this phone, it's made up with depth. I have a pair of Levi jeans on and was able to slide the thing in my pocket easily. Wouldn't want to bend down with it though! :)

true haha, or i hate when you carry something heavy and you wrest it on your upper thighs while your carrying it. i cracked a screen on one of my older phones doing that. always take your phone out of your pocket when doing something like that.

Upvote 0
$10 is nothing. Sprint doesn't charge for their 3G network like ATT (correct me if I'm wrong). You live in a 4G area, so why wouldn't $10 be worth it? Sprint isn't going to just roll 4G out without us paying for it, how much does it really cost to have the WiMax towers? They are trying to get some of the money to continue the WiMax network. $10 is nothing, especially since you are still paying less than ATT and Verizon.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones