• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root *IF* One wanted to brick their phone...

What if someone has an Eris and wanted to intentionally brick it until they send me an Incredible?? (after 5 refurbs, you can opt for a newed model, currently Incredible or Droid 2 they're offering.) I admit I was quick to jump on the Droid bandwagon and when the Eris was released in my store (Yes, I worked for Verizon) I fell in love with it. But now, no matter how you root it, how much bloatware you remove, how many tweeks you apply, or how many apps you store on the SD, it STILL runs like crap. The hardware is just not there. I've called Asurion and tried to barter, offered to pay the $80 for a newer model, but alas, I'm stuck with an Eris that'll never receive Gingerbread/Flash/Etc without rooting, and even still will barely operate Angry Birds. lol Is it still fraud if you're been abandoned by your carrier? I surely don't have $610 to shell out for a Fascinate or X. :-/

Upvote 0
What if someone has an Eris and wanted to intentionally brick it until they send me an Incredible?? (after 5 refurbs, you can opt for a newed model, currently Incredible or Droid 2 they're offering.) I admit I was quick to jump on the Droid bandwagon and when the Eris was released in my store (Yes, I worked for Verizon) I fell in love with it. But now, no matter how you root it, how much bloatware you remove, how many tweeks you apply, or how many apps you store on the SD, it STILL runs like crap. The hardware is just not there. I've called Asurion and tried to barter, offered to pay the $80 for a newer model, but alas, I'm stuck with an Eris that'll never receive Gingerbread/Flash/Etc without rooting, and even still will barely operate Angry Birds. lol Is it still fraud if you're been abandoned by your carrier? I surely don't have $610 to shell out for a Fascinate or X. :-/

You are asking for advice on how to defraud your carrier.

Really?

Upvote 0
i personally wouldnt get anything new until 4g phones come out

Unless you live in a major metro area, I'm thinking that 4G won't be that important for a phone until about a year from now - maybe longer. I'm willing to bet that, first, the network rollout will take a while to get outside of urban areas (and maybe highway corridors), and, second, the LTE radio will suck battery like nobody's business until they figure out how to make them more power-efficient.

Upvote 0
Unless you live in a major metro area, I'm thinking that 4G won't be that important for a phone until about a year from now - maybe longer. I'm willing to bet that, first, the network rollout will take a while to get outside of urban areas (and maybe highway corridors), and, second, the LTE radio will suck battery like nobody's business until they figure out how to make them more power-efficient.

actually,my comment was directed more at the phones coming out than the network. we will be entering a whole new era of multi-cored,front camera'ed phone technology :D

Upvote 0
craiglist. :D

cheapest ive seen an X was $150. see them frequently 250-300,as well as droid 2s and incredibles. i gave $80 for my droid 1,and $50 for my lil eris.

i personally wouldnt get anything new until 4g phones come out

That's amazing! I hadn't realized Droid Xs had gotten so cheap on craigslist now. Last time I checked people were wanting $400+ for them. I just went and looked and I saw one for $100. Actually, I am about a month away from an early upgrade for one of my phones, and I was considering getting a new phone (Droid X maybe, or something similar... I want a bigger screen). This is making me reconsider... I might be able to snag an X on craigslist for cheaper than the early upgrade would have cost, and on top of that have an upgrade if a new killer phone comes out in the next 6 months. Have any of you guys experienced many scams on craigslist and what should I look out for? Obviously before I pay for a phone I'm going to check that it turns on and everything, but what else should I check for before handing over the cash?

Upvote 0
Obviously before I pay for a phone I'm going to check that it turns on and everything, but what else should I check for before handing over the cash?

ive gotten alot of used phones,and ive been lucky. if the person seems honest,claims the esn to be clear,and has a reasonable reason for not wanting it ive taken them at their word.

however,it is alot safer to activate the phone or call verizon before handing over any non refundable cash. unless the phone is close,id have them send a pic of the esn so you can call verizon and ask them prior to going to look at it.

the other option would be to activate it right then and there when you pick it up. either by calling verizon from a different phone,or dialing *228 from the new one.

as long as the current phone has a data plan compatible with the new one,you should be able to activate it via *228 without speaking to humans :)

$100 or $150 is really cheap. id honestly expect to pay at least the new contract price on something like an X thats still fairly new. unless youre patient enuff to wait for a good deal... and youll have to see the add the second it comes out,and jump on it right away. droid 2s and Xs usually are gone in the first couple days if theyre less than $250. around here at least... but i personally would be willing to spend alittle over the new contract price in order to have a new phone without locking myself into further contract. ive actually been out since july :eek:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones