• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

If Sprint released the Evo3D and SGS2 and Photon on the same day which would you pick?

Which phone if all 3 on the same day ?

• Total voters
Don't torture yourself - that's what mods are for.

~~~~

Back to topic - for me, it comes down to the 3vo or the SGS2. But with my happy customer experiences with HTC, I'm going to stick with the 3vo. (The worldphone feature on the Photon is instantly making me nuts, tho.)

Analogy: fans want you to believe that choices in a superphone is as radical as a Corvette vs. a Pinto vs. a Corvair.

In reality, it's closer to Audi vs. Mercedes vs. BMW - that's what I think.

Again, 100% agree with EarlyMon on this last statement.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
One thing I just noticed about the Photon, is that the the usb port is on the side that would be on the table top when the kickstand is out. That seems like such a boneheaded thing to do.

Oh, crap. That's true. Thanks for pointing that out. It won't be a deal breaker for me because I'll likely be getting the laptop/cpu dock as well, so I'll probably be using the kickstand only when I'm out somewhere without needing to charge.

Upvote 0
I 100% agree with EarlyMon. There are some that really hate on other Android phones trying to one-up one another, but ultimately, it's Android that is a winning OS (regardless of the device) that really does make the phone experience what it is.

I was a diehard WindowsMobile person, just because it served more business purposes for me, but ever since I got the EVO and Android, I will never go back to a Microsoft mobile OS phone ever. The experience on Android, for me, has been a WORLD of difference and made my life much more convenient overall.

I also agree, this pissing contest between all these phones should stop. It really does show how spoiled we have become with how advanced these phones are getting. Just look back a few years ago and then look at now, we are getting by far more bang for the buck compared to anytime previously. Now we have all these dual core phones coming out and soon to be quad core phones and for what, bragging rights? Don't get me wrong I don't mind having the latest and greatest but the specs on some of these phones and what they can actually accomplish are past amazing.

@ArmageddonX

Bro, just go ahead and get that 3vo, you will be more than happy. Just like drexappeal I was a diehard winmo fan for many years and I laughed in the face of android when it came out and I promised myself I would stick with winmo till the end of time and honestly the one and only initial reason why I got an evo was for the screen size and dual cameras and not android and was also gonna use it until the next great winmo phone came out. I kid you not, the very first day of me using my evo with my touch pro 2 sitting next to me, all I could ask myself was what the hell have I been thinking? I couldn't believe what I had been passing up in android and from that moment I denounced anything winmo, and its android from here on out.

Just know that the evo family is a happy family, don't you want to be a part of that? While we are enjoying our 3vo's, I am sure you don't want to be on the outside looking in at the fun we are having while you wait it out for something else. You won't regret your choice and besides you always have 30 days so you really have nothing to lose.

Upvote 0
Just know that the evo family is a happy family, don't you want to be a part of that? While we are enjoying our 3vo's, I am sure you don't want to be on the outside looking in at the fun we are having while you wait it out for something else. You won't regret your choice and besides you always have 30 days so you really have nothing to lose.

And to add to that, even if I do end up getting the Photon 4G (which is the current front runner upgrade for me), I'll still likely be posting more on the EVO forums...hahaha.

There's just something about the EVO forums that made my Android experience that much better (and added another addiction in my life...hahahaha).

Reactions: Orion and EarlyMon
Upvote 0
One thing is for sure...... competition is great for us consumers.

I'm not a big Samsung smartphone fan (too many bad experiences).

I've never gone the Moto route.

HTC is my comfort zone. The Evo 3D looks like a great phone, but the 3D part of it is a gimmick in my mind and not enough to sway me. Everything else is gravy. Sense is just a great product as well! That could sway me alone.

The Photon also looks like a great phone, but I've never been a motoblur fan, and with a locked bootloader it doesn't seem like I can address that myself.

Sammy SGII Specs are impressive. It should squash all competitors in terms of raw computing power. But in the end it's my phone and I'm not sure that's a big enough draw for me....

I truly wish they would drop all three on the same day, at leas then I could do a side by side first hand comparison

Reactions: jroc and EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Same here. I wouldn't ever get a phone with Motorblur.

Just curious, have you ever used Motoblur? For the most part, I've disabled most of it. However, the FB widget is, by far, the best I've ever seen. Even better than the official FB one. It's simple, does the job, and only shows me new updates. The bottom toolbar in Gingerbread is nice, too. I like being able to put 4 short cuts in that stay common among all homescreens. Like market, dialer, etc. I just hate the white fade look.

Upvote 0
I find it horribly amusing that moto has disabled the usage of the name due to public reaction but somehow they don't seem to get the message... I'm not nearly as radical about the skins as a lot of folks; I think moto-blur is one of the few skins that actually devalued the device (resulted in lost sales). Talk about a ceo with business fore-sight.
-
Oh well they do build decent hardware. Pity about the boot loader.
-
Would be wonderful to have a thread about some of these ceo who earn millions and what they do for their companies.
-

Just curious, have you ever used Motoblur? For the most part, I've disabled most of it. However, the FB widget is, by far, the best I've ever seen. Even better than the official FB one. It's simple, does the job, and only shows me new updates. The bottom toolbar in Gingerbread is nice, too. I like being able to put 4 short cuts in that stay common among all homescreens. Like market, dialer, etc. I just hate the white fade look.

Upvote 0
Oh man, the Photon with it's world phone capabilities majorly threw a wrench in the spokes. I am out of the country pretty much every week. Having a phone that works wherever I go would be a HUGE plus!!! Dammit!!! I was all jacked up about the 3vo. And now I would be stupid not to get the Photon. I love HTC products. I personally think HTC is the best phone manufacturer out there. DAMMIT!!!! I wonder what kind of data roaming plan Sprint will have?? We can rag AT&T all we want but my iPhone buddies roam internationally quite cheaply. If Sprint came out with a cheap international data plan I am afraid that would seal the deal for me. Has anyone heard about their international data plan? I know when South America used to be CDMA it was not at all cheap to data roam. Anyway...I'm lost now....

Upvote 0
And to add to that, even if I do end up getting the Photon 4G (which is the current front runner upgrade for me), I'll still likely be posting more on the EVO forums...hahaha.

There's just something about the EVO forums that made my Android experience that much better (and added another addiction in my life...hahahaha).
Haha I feel the same way. The reason I came to the forums was because of the EVO. I'll never forget the excitement we all had anticipating its release lol. For now I'm sticking to the EVO family. I'll upgrade when EVO 2012 comes out......unless something amazing gets released later this year.

Upvote 0
Oh man, the Photon with it's world phone capabilities majorly threw a wrench in the spokes. I am out of the country pretty much every week. Having a phone that works wherever I go would be a HUGE plus!!! Dammit!!! I was all jacked up about the 3vo. And now I would be stupid not to get the Photon. I love HTC products. I personally think HTC is the best phone manufacturer out there. DAMMIT!!!! I wonder what kind of data roaming plan Sprint will have?? We can rag AT&T all we want but my iPhone buddies roam internationally quite cheaply. If Sprint came out with a cheap international data plan I am afraid that would seal the deal for me. Has anyone heard about their international data plan? I know when South America used to be CDMA it was not at all cheap to data roam. Anyway...I'm lost now....
I get what you're saying. I love HTC as well. To me they are the best. But I would get the phone that would suit me each in every way.

Reactions: flyjbaker
Upvote 0
Haha I feel the same way. The reason I came to the forums was because of the EVO. I'll never forget the excitement we all had anticipating its release lol. For now I'm sticking to the EVO family. I'll upgrade when EVO 2012 comes out......unless something amazing gets released later this year.

Big reason I'm considering the photon 4g is because it has the specs I was hoping for on the evo, that didn't end up happening.

Upvote 0
From what I have read about the Photon, it does have the tegra 2 chipset but the dual core processor is only 1 ghz which is falls slightly short of the 1.2 ghz dualcore hummingbird for the evo. As far as the galaxy s2 goes, I know a few people who got the galaxy s because they could not get the evo and hated their phone, not that may not be everyone's feelings, but word of mouth goes far in my world. I love the EVO and will be getting the 3VO without a doubt. I dont care about the 3d but it is a beast imho looking at the specs.

Upvote 0

If the Photon has AES signed bootloader, would it be unlockable in order to utilize local 2G (GSM) or 3G (UMTS 2100)? If not, I don't see the world part as practical use for me. International roaming rates are ridiculously expensive at all the carriers.

That said, I think all the offerings are great and one really can't go wrong w/ theses 3 great superphones.

My deduction of choice is as follows (all other variables being more or less equal):

SSG2 - Battery life. Idon't care about vibrancy of SAMOLED+ over S-LCD, just want the off pixel batt savings; more when combined w/ cyanogen mod color filters! More storage space than the rest (32GB vs), holy grail of dual core processors, and no tegra 2 (a plus for prospect of h.264 HP multimedia apps), thinness/weight.

TouchWhiz and Samsung in general are cons, but I'm really excited they've sort of embraced the mod side w/ sending a phone over to cyanogen team, so there's the presumption of full rootability and custom roms (which is great because we all know how Samsung's track record is w/ updates). HTC Sense is better for sure, but IMO, vanilla + launcher pro or ADW is better than both, at least for me. Just because the phone has the hw prowess doesn't mean I wanna run a bloated UI, and LP has grown on me. My 2nd pick would probably be the 3vo, but I really find the 3d thing just plain gimmicky so it doesn't appeal to me and would just prefer more solid 2D if given the choice. The photon well, if one can use local SIMs, that's certainly a plus, but the mixed messages from Moto on whether the photon will have AES signature leaves a lot of room for doubt.

Upvote 0
Didnt even have to read thru the thread for specific specs....I have been doing so much reading about these upcoming phones I might start making phones for a living...with the help of some folks in these forums....I would love to have the SGS2 screen tho. Samsung did make some changes from the GS1 line thats shows they might be hanging out in the forums listening to customers.

Since it would be 3 nice phones to choose from, I would make it real easy for me: whichever one gave me the best reception. If I test all 3 and one was better than the rest, then thats the one for me.

Either that or just upgrade my single line to a family plan and get all 3...so as you can tell I voted undecided if I was on Sprint. Last year I might have said the Epic 4G. This year? The manufactures are making it a lil harder...

Upvote 0
I think cracked screens due to drop damage depends more upon the angle that the phone is oriented and the material it lands on, more so than the chassis material.

If you drop your phone on a corner on concrete. Yeah, your screen has a really big chance of cracking. If you drop it face first, or back first, onto carpeting, it'll likely be fine. Surface area and pressure, people. That is what cracks things. I've dropped my DX (I was pushed) on tile with concrete foundation. It landed on it's back and slid 10 feet into a door. Completely fine, no scratches, no cracks. Likely the same would have been with a Sammy or HTC phone.

Now, what I consider a "cheap" feel may also be a "lightweight" construction to someone else. I think Sammy phones feel thin in the chassis materials. I'm sure it's plenty strong, but I just don't like the feel of it, personally. Just like I don't like Playstation controllers, for the same reason. They're sturdy, but they feel way too thin. They are just really light to try to help with player's fatigue. Just like how I imagine Sammy used light materials to make it lighter in weight. To each their own.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones