• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

If Sprint released the Evo3D and SGS2 and Photon on the same day which would you pick?

Which phone if all 3 on the same day ?

• Total voters
I bought the Epic Touch in anticipation of it wowing me enough to sell my 3D, or at least giving me incentive to keep both. I paid retail ($499).

The phone is excellent, battery life is pretty great, however it does keep the phone a lot dimmer than the EVO on automatic brightness, I put them both on minimum brightness for a day and the battery usage was about the same. I also played with them both non stop for a couple of hours doing the same things and they discharged at an identical rate.

In the end, the EPIC touch is going back. Touchwiz is super boring, no widgets. However the video maker and picture editor are fun and the camera is astounding. Ultimately the dagger was the resolution. EVERYTHING is grainy (wallpapers, icons, streaming video everything!!) you can even see the pixels on the pull down bar. The vibrant colors and huge screen make it that much easier to see. It annoyed the heck out of me. Especially keeping it side by side with the EVO. There is a HUGE discrepancy in resolution. As big of a discrepancy as there is in viewing angle advantage for the EPIC. But even at the different viewing angles you can still see the bad resolution on the EPIC. Ultimately I look at my phone straight on, so the viewing angle deal isn't really a big one, but that resolution killed it for me.

Other things:

- Evo has better WIFI range and signal
- Sense is still miles ahead of touchwiz in user friendliness and usefulness
- EPIC lock screen royally sucks
- Speakers volume about the same, but the EPIC sounds more muffled
- EPIC plays through headphones far better quality though
- EPIC is a tad bit faster/smoother scrolling web pages and just overall
- 3G/4G signal on average has been faster on the EVO for me
- Talk quality is better on the EPIC
- I like the weight and build of the EPIC better as my 3D has too much light leakage and will be replaced.
- Camera and Camcorder are a good bit better on the EPIC

End verdict, first day I got my EVO or 3D I spent days playing with them. I got bored with the EPIC after a day. It's sitting in my kitchen waiting to go back for the last two days, haven't missed it one bit. I have to hold the phone at arms length to keep from seeing individual pixels. Drives me nuts. The fake'ish colors don't help either, especially on videos.

In the end, it's a great phone, just not for me. I will keep the Epic closer to my 14 day window before I take it back so if anyone has any questions feel free to ask. However I will say that a high resolution Amoled screen and a better touchwiz and there will be little reason for me to keep buying HTC.

Upvote 0
I bought the Epic Touch in anticipation of it wowing me enough to sell my 3D, or at least giving me incentive to keep both. I paid retail ($499).

The phone is excellent, battery life is pretty great, however it does keep the phone a lot dimmer than the EVO on automatic brightness, I put them both on minimum brightness for a day and the battery usage was about the same. I also played with them both non stop for a couple of hours doing the same things and they discharged at an identical rate.

In the end, the EPIC touch is going back. Touchwiz is super boring, no widgets. However the video maker and picture editor are fun and the camera is astounding. Ultimately the dagger was the resolution. EVERYTHING is grainy (wallpapers, icons, streaming video everything!!) you can even see the pixels on the pull down bar. The vibrant colors and huge screen make it that much easier to see. It annoyed the heck out of me. Especially keeping it side by side with the EVO. There is a HUGE discrepancy in resolution. As big of a discrepancy as there is in viewing angle advantage for the EPIC. But even at the different viewing angles you can still see the bad resolution on the EPIC. Ultimately I look at my phone straight on, so the viewing angle deal isn't really a big one, but that resolution killed it for me.

Other things:

- I like the weight and build of the EPIC better as my 3D has too much light leakage and will be replaced.

End verdict, first day I got my EVO or 3D I spent days playing with them. I got bored with the EPIC after a day. It's sitting in my kitchen waiting to go back for the last two days, haven't missed it one bit. I have to hold the phone at arms length to keep from seeing individual pixels. Drives me nuts. The fake'ish colors don't help either, especially on videos.

In the end, it's a great phone, just not for me. I will keep the Epic closer to my 14 day window before I take it back so if anyone has any questions feel free to ask. However I will say that a high resolution Amoled screen and a better touchwiz and there will be little reason for me to keep buying HTC.

You must've had a faulty E4GT if your EVO had better data speeds than the Epic and if your speaker volume was anywhere near the Epic's.

My E4GT's data speeds destroy the 2 3VOs I put it up against and barely tops the Photon. The speaker volume of 3VOs don't even come close to the E4GT, I could clearly hear over those puny sounding speakers. They do get a little distorted at max volume, but if you turn it down one notch it's still louder and sounds better.

Saying Sense is better is personal preference. I prefer TouchWiz because there's a lot more functionality with it. Sense is more eye candy than functionality, TouchWiz is way more user-friendly and more innovative imo. Only thing that I think sucks on TouchWiz is the lockscreen, which I replaced with WidgetLocker.

Imo the screen is amazing, the best I've ever seen. When I look at the screen next to the 3VO it does look more pixelated but it also is brighter, more colorful, has way better viewing angles, and can actually be seen in direct sunlight and I prefer all of those more. When I'm not looking at a qHD display I don't even notice it.

All in all, the E4GT has better important features compared to the 3VO. There's really nothing better.

Upvote 0
My EVO 3D has excellent reception, call quality, web browsing, and is very responsive. I had the opportunity to mess around a bit with a friend's Epic Touch and while it is a nice phone, I saw nor experienced anything that would make me believe it is any better than my EVO 3D. It felt more fragile than my EVO 3D and while it is a personal preference, Sense is a better UI and just feels smoother to me. For those who made the change and are satisfied, I am glad for you. To insinuate that those of us who aren't impressed just don't know what a good device is very condescending. If there weren't an EVO 3D I would probably have held out for it but I would not trade my EVO 3D for one.

Reactions: Complex757
Upvote 0
You must've had a faulty E4GT if your EVO had better data speeds than the Epic and if your speaker volume was anywhere near the Epic's.

My E4GT's data speeds destroy the 2 3VOs I put it up against and barely tops the Photon. The speaker volume of 3VOs don't even come close to the E4GT, I could clearly hear over those puny sounding speakers. They do get a little distorted at max volume, but if you turn it down one notch it's still louder and sounds better.

Saying Sense is better is personal preference. I prefer TouchWiz because there's a lot more functionality with it. Sense is more eye candy than functionality, TouchWiz is way more user-friendly and more innovative imo. Only thing that I think sucks on TouchWiz is the lockscreen, which I replaced with WidgetLocker.

Imo the screen is amazing, the best I've ever seen. When I look at the screen next to the 3VO it does look more pixelated but it also is brighter, more colorful, has way better viewing angles, and can actually be seen in direct sunlight and I prefer all of those more. When I'm not looking at a qHD display I don't even notice it.

All in all, the E4GT has better important features compared to the 3VO. There's really nothing better.

I have 30+ speedtest results that says you are wrong, and there is nothing wrong with my EPIC, maybe there was something wrong the EVO's you tested against as that has been a problem with some EVO's.

I was expecting the ET to sound a lot better to but the FACT is that it doesn't. The 3D is just as loud, it's just more defined sound (meaning more treble, higher quality sound).

Sense is better than Touchwiz and always has been. You get like 10 widgets, ,most of them useless with touchwiz and the lockscreen is pure garbage (and you have to see it every time you unlock the phone).

If you can't notice all those pixels jumping out at you on the ET, you need your vision checked.

Upvote 0
i guess i better not look too much at a qHD screen haha! just comparing the two in video reviews and that Super (uber dooper) AMOLED is like a night and ay difference by comparison: super WTW and BTB; almost makes any other tech look dated to me. Also the sunlight viewing is pretty neat for me, as is some of the potentially battery saving CyanogenMod color filters that are only applicable on such a display.

as far as TouchWiz or Sense UIs 'age old' argument, that never resonates with me. As I see both garbage in, garbage out, I used to think Sense was integral until I stopped using it. Now I prefer neither so that's a non-issue. WiFi range is also a non issue, and everything else seems stacked in Epic corner.

Upvote 0
heavy,

it's interesting to see you come to the conclusions you did about the E4GT, especially when you had a pretty glowing description of it before you got it. Glad to see you were objective with your findings.

Every device has its strong points and shortcomings, and our personal preferences and requirements dictate whether it's a keeper or not. I happen to be sensitive to pixel density. After using my Evo 4G, I couldn't stand the pixel density of my wife's iPhone. Now on the Evo 3D, my old Evo's screen looks pretty bad, probably the same perception you had of the E4GT.

Others clearly value the saturation of the samoled screen and will downplay the pixel density issue. That's why choice is good.

Reactions: CarrieK
Upvote 0
heavy,

it's interesting to see you come to the conclusions you did about the E4GT, especially when you had a pretty glowing description of it before you got it. Glad to see you were objective with your findings.

Every device has its strong points and shortcomings, and our personal preferences and requirements dictate whether it's a keeper or not. I happen to be sensitive to pixel density. After using my Evo 4G, I couldn't stand the pixel density of my wife's iPhone. Now on the Evo 3D, my old Evo's screen looks pretty bad, probably the same perception you had of the E4GT.

Others clearly value the saturation of the samoled screen and will downplay the pixel density issue. That's why choice is good.

Agreed! I don't understand why people feel the need to undermine another person's choice. If one switches and is satisfied, great! I didn't switch and I'm happy with my EVO 3D. The world of Android is indeed a wonderful place :D

Upvote 0

Other things:

I switched from EVO3D to the Epic Touch. I think you got a jacked phone. I have not experienced any of the pixels issues you stated with display. I'll agree with you on the Sense over Touchwize but I would rather see my display outside which was always an issue with my EVO3D. It bugged the hell out of me.

The Epic 4G is faster, cleaner looking, bigger display, and vibrant colors.

I did notice that the EVO3D battery was better but not by a whole lot.

End of the day if I were stuck with the EVO3D or Samsung I'd be happy with either but I'm glad that I made the switch to the Samsung.

Another bonus is that it's lighter, thinner, and the it doesn't have a camera button to snag. Just my thoughts on this.

Upvote 0
I switched from EVO3D to the Epic Touch. I think you got a jacked phone. I have not experienced any of the pixels issues you stated with display. I'll agree with you on the Sense over Touchwize but I would rather see my display outside which was always an issue with my EVO3D. It bugged the hell out of me.

The Epic 4G is faster, cleaner looking, bigger display, and vibrant colors.

I did notice that the EVO3D battery was better but not by a whole lot.

End of the day if I were stuck with the EVO3D or Samsung I'd be happy with either but I'm glad that I made the switch to the Samsung.

Another bonus is that it's lighter, thinner, and the it doesn't have a camera button to snag. Just my thoughts on this.

:rolleyes: well what about the 3 other phones I saw at stores I went in to play with the phone that had the same issue. Some people just don't look at the screen close enough to see it, and it's not like I'm looking for them, they are blatantly right there for you to see. And it's WORSE when you leave it on auto brightness, the colors are uneven and the pixelation is far worse because the brightness is so dull. The whites are green (really green) and the color reproduction is unrealistic (by a good margin).

That being said, I have found that turning up the brightness (way up) has reduced the problem, but now the battery drops like a rock (6 hrs with 4 hrs play time). This is why the default setting for auto brightness is almost to the bottom level. So add battery life and screen brightness to the advantages of the 3D. If you crank that 4.5" Amoled screen up you can almost watch the battery drain away.

But even with these issues, I still think it's a great phone, trust me I have my grips with the EVO too (light leaks, headphone jack quality, camera light adjustment, etc.).

My wife has the original EPIC and played with the ET today and loved it (especially the camera) so I may end up with both after all. In the end, I think it's a great time to be into tech and smart phones without people constantly trying to prove which is better (So-low La Don).

Upvote 0
:rolleyes: well what about the 3 other phones I saw at stores I went in to play with the phone that had the same issue. Some people just don't look at the screen close enough to see it, and it's not like I'm looking for them, they are blatantly right there for you to see. And it's WORSE when you leave it on auto brightness, the colors are uneven and the pixelation is far worse because the brightness is so dull. The whites are green (really green) and the color reproduction is unrealistic (by a good margin).

That being said, I have found that turning up the brightness (way up) has reduced the problem, but now the battery drops like a rock (6 hrs with 4 hrs play time). This is why the default setting for auto brightness is almost to the bottom level. So add battery life and screen brightness to the advantages of the 3D. If you crank that 4.5" Amoled screen up you can almost watch the battery drain away.

But even with these issues, I still think it's a great phone, trust me I have my grips with the EVO too (light leaks, headphone jack quality, camera light adjustment, etc.).

My wife has the original EPIC and played with the ET today and loved it (especially the camera) so I may end up with both after all. In the end, I think it's a great time to be into tech and smart phones without people constantly trying to prove which is better (So-low La Don).

I wasn't trying to convince you the E4GT was better, I was telling you from my experiences with both phones, our results turned out way different (data speeds and speaker volume). I also said "IMO" the Super Amoled Plus display might be more pixilated but TO ME the other payoffs make up for it (viewing angles, outside viewing. Oversaturated or not, it still looks good to most, including me)

Upvote 0
BTW here's another guy who OWNS both phones and had similar data results as me.

Review of my Epic Touch 4G vs. my EVO 3D - xda-developers

Sprints data is already slow enough, and there is a chance Sprint could issue the REV B data service that the ET is not compatible with. We will find that out in a few days. Could be very damaging to the value of the ET.

And if you like look at the wirefly review that mimick my gripe with the resolution. It's hard to look at with such vibrant colors popping out at you making it easy to see. And the resolution is painfully obvious so there are definitely times where the qHD is preferable to the SAMOLED.

Upvote 0
heavy,

I for one wish the color space and pixel density issues were not an either/or choice. which technology do you see progressing more in this regard?

EDIT:

HD Super AMOLED is a new Super AMOLED type display from Samsung featuring HD (1280 x 800) resolution. The first device to use an HD Super AMOLED is the Samsung Galaxy Note: an Android 2.3.5 phone with a 5.3" display. The phone (and the display) was announced in September 2011.[4] The higher resolution and dpi were made possible due to a move from the Fine-Metal-Mask (FMM) to laser-induced thermal imaging (LITI) printing process

Nevermind. :)

Upvote 0
LED doesn't have many bullets left in the gun IMO the way it sits. Adding more resolution is not going to make it relevant within the next couple of years. HD AMOLED or Retina type displays are going to make the LED very hard to look at next year. I for one, will not be buying another LED phone unless they come up with some new technology or the phone behind it is just that beast.

I have a hard time imagining HTC coming up with something that will keep it in the top tier of phones next year. Getting the phones out first combined with Samsungs poor history and lack of support will only keep people who want the best around for so long. Especially if they keep releasing phones with light leaks and bad paint jobs, cracking screens etc.

The EVO vs Epic battle last year went to the EVO without a doubt even though the EPIC had better specs. It lost on poor support, glitches (GPS etc.), failures and a few missing pieces. I will say that there have been almost no problems with the Epic Touch, from watching the forum or in my experience. So in that regard HTC has been passed up.

In other words HTC needs to step their game up in a big way to stay relevant because I know many of the EVO faithful like me really want to try the EPIC TOUCH.

Upvote 0
LED doesn't have many bullets left in the gun IMO the way it sits. Adding more resolution is not going to make it relevant within the next couple of years. HD AMOLED or Retina type displays are going to make the LED very hard to look at next year. I for one, will not be buying another LED phone unless they come up with some new technology or the phone behind it is just that beast.

I have a hard time imagining HTC coming up with something that will keep it in the top tier of phones next year. Getting the phones out first combined with Samsungs poor history and lack of support will only keep people who want the best around for so long. Especially if they keep releasing phones with light leaks and bad paint jobs, cracking screens etc.

The EVO vs Epic battle last year went to the EVO without a doubt even though the EPIC had better specs. It lost on poor support, glitches (GPS etc.), failures and a few missing pieces. I will say that there have been almost no problems with the Epic Touch, from watching the forum or in my experience. So in that regard HTC has been passed up.

In other words HTC needs to step their game up in a big way to stay relevant because I know many of the EVO faithful like me really want to try the EPIC TOUCH.
See, here is where this is a personal preference debate. With updates and customer support, i have no reason to even think trying a samsung device. until they prove updates and support as in HTC it is a non issue for me and that is that. Also i like the feel of the 3d as it has some weight and dont want a "plastic" feeling phone. As for tech, almost identical processors, ram diff internal storage but i run ext4 for my data and apps, so non issue. Touchwiz last i played with it was annoying and I love me some sense. So again this is personal preference and no one person is right or wrong.

Reactions: CarrieK
Upvote 0
I tried to like the thing (GS2) But I just can't stand the cheap feel of the light weight plastic feel that samsung is addicted to. Touch Jizz is a joke. Colors are over saturated, resolution makes a big difference to me especially reading text. The processor is beast, it runs a tad faster then my 3VO but not enough to make me jump ship. I can see my 3VO just fine outside, it may not look as bright but it is still viewable. Now once the super amoled plus 720p displays come out I might consider a sammy phone if it ain't made out of cheap plastic. I'm sure HTC will have better displays out by next year so it maybe a non issue. I'm content with my 3VO. GS2 just went back this morning. I won't miss it.

Upvote 0
See, here is where this is a personal preference debate. With updates and customer support, i have no reason to even think trying a samsung device. until they prove updates and support as in HTC it is a non issue for me and that is that. Also i like the feel of the 3d as it has some weight and dont want a "plastic" feeling phone. As for tech, almost identical processors, ram diff internal storage but i run ext4 for my data and apps, so non issue. Touchwiz last i played with it was annoying and I love me some sense. So again this is personal preference and no one person is right or wrong.

I see your point, and agree for the most part, though I like the light weight of the EPIC and though it might feel cheap, I'm sure there have been lots more problems with build quality (and broken screens) on the recent HTC phones (EVO/3D) than the Samsung ones (EPIC/EPIC TOUCH).

I think the market is going to Samsung and HTC is they don't make huge strides will be second tier by 2013 if not 2012. Right now HTC is still in the game, but not for long at this rate. And if Google get Motorola, then HTC might be the odd man out among the current major players.

Upvote 0
Can I get a link on this [perhaps substantiated] notion that Samsung won't be updating their now U.S. flagship phone w/ Ice Cream?

That's absolutely asinine if true! I wonder how this news affects the cook community (Cyanogen, etc.). I mean... do they have to work off another phone to come up w/ updates or... will it affect their rapid update cycle at all.

I say this looking at my HTC Hero running GB 2.3.5 and never running better, with NO thanks to HTC or Sprint.;)

And if Google get Motorola, then HTC might be the odd man out among the current major players.

Google acquired Moto Mobility already didn't they? That seems primarily for the patents though, not to use necessarily, but to flaunt in this new Tech Company game of 'I see your patents and raise you 1000 patents, leave me alone'.

Upvote 0
heavychevy said: "Wanna guess who will get ice cream sandwich first while the other may not get it at all."

this would be a potentially huge concern for me depending on how it affected devs; may just wait until dec to upgrade and see how it plays out; might get this phone next to nothing on contract by that time too; i've already signed off on the 3vo, cons seem pretty consistent from all.

Upvote 0
Sprints data is already slow enough, and there is a chance Sprint could issue the REV B data service that the ET is not compatible with. We will find that out in a few days. Could be very damaging to the value of the ET.

Official Sprint Answer:
Sprint is committed to delivering the highest quality network experience. Our Network Vision plan will improve your network experience, but it does not include any EVDO Rev B launch. Sprint has evaluated EVDO Rev B and chosen to go directly to 4G connections. Since we are not launching EVDO Rev B, none of our handsets supports EVDO Rev B.

Thank you for your interest in our Network and Chipset Technologies!

At the Sprint Forum:

Sprint Community: EVDO Rev B[/QUOTE]

Upvote 0
Is that person all that in the know since they say that NONE of the handsets supports EDVO RevB when clearly some of them do in fact support it (notably the EVO 3D). Getting off on the wrong foot with that one.

Yes, I've got to question the validity of that one myself. Interestingly enough, Sprint employees are criticized for not knowing about their own products/services and give confilicting information (as many have posted here), yet they are quoted quite often when it proves someone's point. Merely an observation.

I did watch the videos concerning the Vision rollout posted in the Sprint section, and the segment that explains the technology behind it does indicate that EVDO RevB is a part of that technology. You may not need to have EVDO RevB in order to benefit from Vision, but it is a component and could add additional functionality if your device is equipped for it.

EDIT: Link to the Sprint section and the discussion mentioned above if anyone is interested.

http://androidforums.com/sprint/410067-network-vision-rollout.html

Upvote 0
Took the Epic Touch back on day 13. The Data and Wifi were too poor to keep it as I browse a lot. It's got worse data than EVO, EVO 3D, and even the original EPIC. This could probably be fixed in an update but they'd have to turn up the radios, which would ruin the already decreasing battery life. Plus I don't trust Samsung's support of their devices to even wait for that. Movies are also hard to watch with the super blacks on the screen, if there are dark scenes, you can barely make out much of whats going on.

I will say that touchwiz grew on me, once I bought a ton of widgets to fill the screen up with. Still no comparison to Sense though. The Epic touch is also extremely sexy and the weight and feel is great. I'll wait and hope for the Nexus Prime to come to sprint though with the Amoled HD and hopefully better reception.

Funny story though, the guy at the Sprint store told me that the Epic Touch would have better resolution because it has a better processor. He also told me that the signal would also be better because a better processor determines the phones signal strength. I didn't both arguing with him, just chuckled a little bit and left.

Reactions: wake69
Upvote 0
Saturday (the 1st) I was in the Sprint store at opening for my upgrade. After reading so many different reviews/threads I was ready to do some hands on decision making. Things I was looking at to make the decision were the Display, Interface, Performance.

E4GT
My wife's Nexus S 4g had shown me the color depth of the AMOLED screens. Looking at the Epic, I noted how close it was to the Nexus in color richness (much more vibrant than the 3VO). Resolution of the screen though quickly got to me. After playing around for about 10 minutes (there was a really long wait before it I could see a rep), it was down right annoying. It was like when you were little, and would really close to the TV and could see "what" made up the picture on the screen.

Touchwiz was ok, not my cup of tea though. If you're going to have a UI, it should enhance the experience for the user. To be honest, I would have been fine with vanilla Gingerbread (like the Nexus S). It didn't bring anything to the table that I hadn't already done for the wife on her NS4G.

Using the demo phones, the processors felt just about the same to me (both were beasts). Couldn't make any hard call based off how they operated in store, they both ran smoothly and quickly. Call quality was a wash, as my wife said I "sounded fine" when I called her phone.

3VO
Resolution was way better, hands down over the E4GT. Colors weren't nearly as bright, but I was ready to sacrifice some color vibrancy for better resolution (I'll be watching Netflix/movies on the phone when I have to take the wife shopping).

Sense was just plain fantastic. I loved the lockscreen functions, overall flow of Sense over Touchwiz. Was easy for me to use (and more importantly my wife), and very intuitive in use. Now I know some will say "just root it and run something else". You're right, but I want something to run out of the box with little mess and fuss. My wife is no tech wiz in any sense, so the UI needs to be easy for her to understand and operate.

I will say 3VO's 4G was faster in the hook up to the network than the E4GT or my wife's NS4G to 4G.

I can honestly say I fell in love with the vibrant color aspect of the E4GT. It was hands down beautiful to behold. E4GT was blazing fast in running apps, and the screen was HUGE.

But I couldn't get over the lower resolution. My phone is relatively "close" to my face when I'm playing with it, so the pixelation would get to me. That coupled with the poor UI, I ended up happily picking the 3VO.

Screen isn't nearly as vibrant, but the resolution and ease of use helped throw me firmly into the HTC camp.

I did want to thank everyone in their thoughtful reviews and impressions of both phones. I can deffinently say it helped me look at things I never would have thought of before... :)

PS: My first Android, coming from a BB. Android is soooo much better!

Reactions: CarrieK and novox77
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones