• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

If Sprint released the Evo3D and SGS2 and Photon on the same day which would you pick?

Which phone if all 3 on the same day ?

• Total voters
I'm leaning towards the Evo3D tonight. I'll probably just keep changing my mind until one of the two releases and then I'll just buy "it".

The phones are pretty close in my mind:
Same screen size.
Same basic processor speed.
SD slots.
Same RAM.

The differences are where I start really getting confused as to which one I want:

The S2 has a Super AMOLED Plus but a lower resolution of 480 x 800 pixels compared to the Evo3D's 540 x 960 pixel qHD-3D Super-LED.

The S2 has a single 8mp camera while the Evo3D has dual-5mp camera's with 3D.

The S2 is 2oz lighter than the Evo3D, this is not personally a selling point for me either way.

The S2 has a larger internal memory which makes its maximum memory capacity higher than that of the Evo3D.

The S2 has a slightly lower capacity battery than the Evo3D.

The S2, as far as I know, has no separate graphics processing unit. While the Evo3D has the Adreno 220 GPU.

Overall I look at that list and ask myself: How do you pick between these two amazing phones? However when I read things on Cnet or articles that are doing preliminary head-to-heads between the two phones the professionals tend to like the S2 more. (Albeit by a very small margin)

EDIT: Here's one of the articles I read:
http://www.androidauthority.com/htc...ii-extreme-android-superphone-standoff-12568/

And

Here's a comparison between the two phones:
http://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Samsung-Galaxy-S-II,HTC-EVO-3D/phones/5106,5321

Upvote 0
Neither. Now I'm leaning toward the AT&T HTC Holiday. Same internals as 3D but with 4.5" qHD screen + LTE + Android 2.3.4. Probably launch around same time.

I just reread the blurb on the Holiday and it says it also has "dual" 8MP cameras, I didn't notice the dual part the first time around. If true, I'd like to see how they design the back of the phone compared to the Evo 3D.

Edit: Linked source mentions dual 8MP cameras, but other sources don't mention dual on back, but rather dual cameras (8MP on back, 1.3MP on front).

Upvote 0
$$$$$, and it shows on their customers bills. Not to mention 2GB data caps.

Well you can go over the $25 2GB cap by paying $10 for every extra 1GB.

If someone is looking at the 3D vs S2, they could get the UK version of the S2 get a dumbphone with unlimited data and switch out SIMS. Of course, no subsidy on phone and risk of getting caught and switched to smartphone plan.

Upvote 0
The S2, as far as I know, has no separate graphics processing unit. While the Evo3D has the Adreno 220 GPU.

Admittedly it's pretty hard to find information on the S2, but from what I can tell it's apparently the ARM Mali-400. The SGX-540 in the S1 Hummingbird was almost comparable to the Tegra 2 (citing Anandtech's recent benchmarks), and the one in the S2 is supposed to be about the same, maybe a little faster based on clockspeed. The EVO3D's Adreno220 might be a little faster, but it's unlikely to blow it away, and probably depends as much on actual device clockspeed and choice of benchmark.

Oh, duh -- I just found Anandtech's benchmarks of the SGS2:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4177/samsungs-galaxy-s-ii-preliminary-performance-mali400-benchmarked

So yeah, it's about comparable to the SGX-540, depending on specific benchmark.

Upvote 0
My personal opinion is that both phones are fast enough. The evo 3d needs a bit more processing power (higher resolution and 3d over head) but the supplied cpu/gpu can handle the job. My personal list of concerns (none of which have been answered by most threads) include:
a) antenna (reception and similar)
b) clarity (sound)
c) volume
d) screen usability outdoors
e) battery life
f) weight/volume (less volume for a given display size is better)
g) screen quality (tonal range; sharpness)
h) memory (too little limits the phone)
i) on board storage and memory slot (required)
j) hdmi (nice but not required)
k) functional gps
(not nec in that order)
I.e, I want a quality phone that doesn't have to be recharged every 10 minutes that is not too bulky but has a large clear display that can be used for email/web browsing/gps/games when traveling.
-
I'm amazed at the folks what would pick a pone that is 2% faster that has a dis functional antenna and drops calls every 5 seconds and you can't understand a word the person you are talking to because of the distortion in the speaker. But I suppose my priorities are different than the average person.

btw I would love to know how a-e compare between the two phones. Anyone know ?

Admittedly it's pretty hard to find information on the S2, but from what I can tell it's apparently the ARM Mali-400. The SGX-540 in the S1 Hummingbird was almost comparable to the Tegra 2 (citing Anandtech's recent benchmarks), and the one in the S2 is supposed to be about the same, maybe a little faster based on clockspeed. The EVO3D's Adreno220 might be a little faster, but it's unlikely to blow it away, and probably depends as much on actual device clockspeed and choice of benchmark.

Oh, duh -- I just found Anandtech's benchmarks of the SGS2:
AnandTech - Samsung's Galaxy S II Preliminary Performance: Mali-400MP Benchmarked

So yeah, it's about comparable to the SGX-540, depending on specific benchmark.

Upvote 0
I'm amazed at the folks what would pick a pone that is 2% faster that has a dis functional antenna and drops calls every 5 seconds and you can't understand a word the person you are talking to because of the distortion in the speaker. But I suppose my priorities are different than the average person.
Agreed -- both phones will be plenty fast, and definitely in the same ballpark for both CPU and GPU. Out of curiosity, are you worried the EVO3D in particular would have reception/speaker issues, and the SGS2 wouldn't, or am I misinterpreting your comment? (I agree the usability and quality are important factors, I just couldn't tell if there was a specific concern you were raising.)

Upvote 0
If that were on Sprint I would go for it, but I won't ever use AT&T

I wonder if it will. The HTC Holiday was showing as having the Qualcomm 8660 processor which has radios for both GSM and CDMA. I would think if it was for AT&T (GSM) only it would have the Qualcomm 8260 like the HTC Sensation. But who knows how reliable (or real) these early spec leaks are.

Upvote 0
As awesome as some of these samsung phones seem to be, I just can't do it.....I Just Cant. From the various versions of samsung phones to hit the market over the last several years the theme seems to be the same slow or no support at all once its released. Yes we all know rooting is an easily available option but thats not an option to 99% of the people that buy these phones.

Upvote 0
Well we already know about the S2 since it is generally available. For the evo3d I'm mostly worried about max volume for phone calls, battery life and antenna (though htc is generally ok here); and marginally concern if the screen will be visible outside in bright but not direct sunlight.

Agreed -- both phones will be plenty fast, and definitely in the same ballpark for both CPU and GPU. Out of curiosity, are you worried the EVO3D in particular would have reception/speaker issues, and the SGS2 wouldn't, or am I misinterpreting your comment? (I agree the usability and quality are important factors, I just couldn't tell if there was a specific concern you were raising.)

Upvote 0
while the samsung sounds good, how many of those phones are still on 2.1? They may of updated by now,idk, I do know product support is important for the consumer, samsung is a fail imo, i wouldnt buy anything from them again, i wouldnt care if it had a 5gig processor in it.

Galaxy S Phones: Android 2.2 update – why so long? : Online Social Media

Yeah, I'm aware of the issue that was happening and the lack of support. I also own an Epic, I just mainly wanted to point out the galaxy s2 is extra thin as far as form factor is concerned.

Upvote 0
I would never buy a next Samsung phone in my life, but I would gladly buy a next Samsung tv.

I would never buy a Samsung phone or TV. I will stick to the EVO and purchasing TVs from Sony. I have had to put in storage a Sony Trinitron and a Hitchai for a period of 6-7 months on two separate occasions. Both TVs still work and one TV is over 10 years old. Besides, I love running into people with an EVO. Everyone loves to talk about their phone. If I bumped into someone with a GS2 I would just roll my eyes and keep walking. Who cares about a Samsung phone. Either you down with HTC or nothing else is relevant.

Upvote 0
Tough question... simply because the SGS2 has been widely reviewed (so it's pretty well known how it will perform) while the Evo 3D has not.

But, if performance of the two phones comes out about the same (similar web browsing speed, battery life, reception/call quality and photo/video quality) then I would probably go for the Evo due to the higher res screen, the sense UI stuff and I also trust HTC to update their phone more-so then I do samsung.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones