1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

If the new smart phones are designed to take a beating... why use a case? See the video I found.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by EvoForever, Feb 16, 2011.

1. EvoForever

EvoForever Lurker
    None

Feb 16, 2011
    My Evo is nearly indesructable. It's solid, won't get scratched easily, and has been dropped several times in the parking lot I work in. I don't even see any damage on my phone, other than my camera lens which is getting all scratched up.

I searched for a way to stop worrying about my camera lens for my evo. Anyways, I found this cool video confirming what many of us seem to already know. Which is the new smart phones don't really need cases teh way they once did. Sure, I can get a case and be a little more protected, but I've dropped my phone so many times, and it still works great so what's the point. And I don't have to struggle with a crappy case or press really hard just to turn it on.

Long story short, I bought the product, got it a few days later, and I'm happy.

Cool product and the video is really entertaining for us techies that love that type of stuff.

ENJOY !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duP--YhHHz0

Advertisement

2. Vihzel

Vihzel Destroying Balls Everyday
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    NYU Student & Real Estate Agent
    Manhattan, NY
    It really depends on the smartphone and peace of mind. For example, I have a LOT of peace of mind with my Droid X, but not so much with my iPhone 4. One drop and I expect the glass on the back or front to shatter since it'll most likely directly impact the glass. The glass on the X though is a lot more encased by metal and more protected. I think a case on an X is not needed but it is, in my opinion, for a phone like the iPhone 4.

It's a good idea to get a case regardless just for added protection. You never know when you'll drop it and it lands right on an edge.

3. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    <shudder>

4. Hrethgir

Hrethgir Android Expert
    None

Feb 16, 2010
    Male
    Intel fab tech
    Salem, OR
    I'll keep the case on my Droid X, thanks. I don't see how you can even say that you have dropped your phone in a parkinglot several times and have no visible damage. My buddy has a Droid Incredible, and he got a nice ding in its plastic surround without even knowing how it happened. He certainly didn't drop it on pavement.

5. pool_shark

pool_shark Android Expert

Aug 21, 2010
    Male
    Infrastructure Engineer
    Ohio
    I use a case because I have no desire to keep my phone in my pocket.
    I keep in on my hip where I have easy access to it, the cases I use have belt clips.

6. bigbadwulff

bigbadwulff Android Expert
    None

Jun 15, 2010
    SCRATCHES! When you go to sell it and it looks pristine, you will get more for it.

7. Stuntman

Stuntman Android Expert
    None

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver, Canada
    My HTC Desire Z fell about 40" last week and it still works, thank God. My old Nokia N97 took a beating as well with the back cover and battery flying out. Still worked.

8. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    Last week just had a new phone take a 2-foot drop - the kind you'd describe as soft - and it immediately lost wifi.

There's a statistical distribution to any and all failure modes and effects - shock and vibration are one of them.

We've all seen that one device drop in slow motion, knowing while it was falling that it was about to die - admit it.

The more I think of this, the more I have to logically classify this as anecdotal information that is NOT sustainable from any practical engineering viewpoint.

In other words - this is the stuff that harmful internet misinformation is made of - and it's time to do what I ought to have done in the first place.

Objections? Questions? PM me.

/thread

Snow_Fox and Hrethgir like this.