1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

If the Nexus S can run Gingerbread, does that mean the Epic 4G can too?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Eazail70x7, Nov 11, 2010.

1. antmon

antmon Member
    None

Sep 8, 2010
    2.2 should be here sooner rather than later, yah, old news i know...but still nice to see....

Samsung Epic 4G Froyo Update Leaked

i'm pretty sure 2.3 will be made availalbe by 'someone' if samsung/sprint doesn't release it!

:)

Advertisement

2. RickJ

RickJ Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 19, 2009
    Honeycomb is the impending release touted for tablets- and other devices, which is apparantly designed with dual core in mind. It seems 2.3 may be optimized (in line with the dual core samsung nexus rumour)

Not really too interested in a tablet, but can wait to get my hands on a tegra 2 phone!

3. RickJ

RickJ Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 19, 2009

4. Thai

None

Sep 24, 2010
    It seems like Nexus S will have same Hummingbird as us...no dual core yet.

5. Bomix

Bomix Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 19, 2009
    yeah I 2nd that.. I have faith that the devs will have a 2.3 for Epic.

6. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Android Expert
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    geek
    USA
    2.3 isn't even out yet... and the Epic has yet to get 2.2, and this speculation already has begun? LOL wish I had that much time to worry about stuff like this.

7. daddyd302

daddyd302 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 1, 2010
    Male
    West Allis, WI
    Seriously, we don't even have 2.2, and people are talking about 2.3? What makes them think with Samsung is gonna give us 2.3, when they're still dragging their feet with 2.2?

For all we know Samsung might decide if people want 2.3, they'll have to buy Samsung's new phone next year. I wouldn't be surprise at this point. It just seems to me, they are more interested in making more Galaxy S phones/tablets, then supporting their lineups.

8. Inferno4213

Inferno4213 Member
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    Student
    Metro Detroit
    My only counterpoint to that is they ought to know most of consumers update their phones every two years. If they completely abandon the large crowd with a Galaxy S phone they are likely to lose future customers.

9. ACEinthehole

ACEinthehole Member
    None

Sep 2, 2010
    Playa
    ATX
    I think Samsung will stop with Froyo, but that does not mean that a custom ROM with Gingerbread will be developed.

10. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    Was away (but I'm back!) - and am now lurking on this one... ;)

Expect a detailed report as I'm furiously ferreting out any new details I can find on these issues.

PS - From what I've seen, there's every reason to expect the Epic 4G to run Gingerbread - _IF_ somebuddy makes a rom - and as stated previously - only Samsung and Sprint know if they're planning to support it officially.

I'd be surprised if we don't see root mods for Gingerbread roms for every decent phone, especially the Epic - but never say never.

PPS - I wrote a structure plan for how to implement support for dual-core Android processors and posted it around here, somewhere, a few months back. Depending on the direction the devs want to take - it could be cool and complex and we'd have to wait a long time - or it could be cool and simple and it could happen quickly. (For those new to my rants - among other things, my career has included me writing quite of vectorized, parallel and multi-processor software - so I'm truthful when I suggest that good Linux devs (hello Android Team!) will have no problem knocking that sort of upgrade right out of the park.)

I think a big part of Honeycomb for tablets is mapping the apps to anticipated larger screens we should all be expecting.

And I think that our future isn't going to be about the SoC processor cores - it's going to be about the new displays. Pixel Qi, promised on upcoming Notion Ink tablet - switches from e-ink to LCD. This, as well as Mirasol display tech being refined by Qualcomm - is what I think the future holds for us. We all want longer use time - how about dropping the insane power requirement from the displays we now use (SAMOLED or LCD)? The surplus power could go into a lot of places in our yet-to-be-seen apps - just food for thought.

More when I know more. ;)

11. toomuchgame441

toomuchgame441 Android Expert
    None

Oct 24, 2009
    Yea Samsung isn't impressing a lot of us in terms of there lack of support. I can't judge them just yet but it is quite dissapointing that they haven't released Froyo yet. That's part of the reason I went on the Evo... better/quicker support

12. Xavion2004

Xavion2004 Member
    None

Dec 10, 2009
    Chicago / Carbondale
    I honestly think those of us who came from the HTC Hero forgot just how painful it was waiting and waiting to go from 1.5 - 2.1. We whined, complained, and everything else but eventually it came. Everyone saying how much support the Evo has and its true that a phone available by one carrier got an update within 2 months of release.

The Galaxy S line is spread pretty thin over national and regional carriers and they cant get a stable version of the software workin to push out. I survived the the 6 month wait for my Hero and I think we'll all survive the wait with the Epic.

That being said, hopefully they do just bump us all to 2.3 and call it a day.