• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

If The US Needed a Better Excuse To Abolish The Electoral College...

That's the thing with the electoral college argument... If you believe that the founding fathers set up the electoral college as a safety mechanism to prevent candidates who didn't have the best interests of the United States at heart, then you have to be committed to letting them do their job. This raises the possibility of them not voting the way the voters voted. BECAUSE THAT IS THEIR JOB. You also couldn't be surprised that it was anti-democratic.. For the reasons that Jeff and yoda posted above.

Will they? I have no idea...

Personally I think it would be a bad thing if they did... But that's because I still can't see the value of the electoral college in the 21st century... When it's possible to tally national votes quickly, in a way that was impossible at the founding of your nation.

But if I've missed something in my reasoning here, please let me know.

Reactions: notacoach
Upvote 0
[quote uid=1939049 name="Yoda_One" post=7437253]James Madison argued against "an interested and overbearing majority" and the "mischiefs of faction" in an electoral system. He defined a faction as "a number of citizens whether amounting to a majority or minority of the whole, who are united and actuated by some common impulse of passion, or of interest, adverse to the rights of other citizens, or to the permanent and aggregate interests of the community." [/QUOTE]
[quote name="jeffboyardee"] ...what he said [/quote]

Ironically, I'd say that's exactly what's happening with DT. His exclusionary policies and actions are clearly going to be "adverse to the rights of other citizens" if he is allowed to follow through with many of his proposals.

Reactions: psionandy
Upvote 0
Yeah because a system ruled by the majority would be dandy.
So now big states like Texas and California will always win because of their urban growth but the little states votes will not be heard.

Got it....
A dictatorship by the majority.

Each states votes counts and it's sad that like spoiled little kids who win prizes for trying..you whine.

Reactions: Yoda_One
Upvote 0
1. If you can't see it, and my previous comments elsewhere haven't been clear enough to make the point to you, it's a waste of my time to write it out yet again.

2. That was in direct response to Yoda's James Madison quote, with which you agreed. If you're going to use it as a reason to uphold the EC, you have to accept it as relevant to the discussion...!

Upvote 0
ok..

so the majority counts? then Hilary got the most votes in usa.

but you say drumpf is the president elect.. via the Electoral vote system.. by getting more than 270 electoral votes.

and the electoral voters don't have to vote as directed. They can vote any way they want.. with some limits and a small fine.
So of they vote for Hillary... she is the president elect.
what do you say then?

Not worth it.

so.. I am guessing .. you meant EC is "not worth it"
So.. then we go back to the popular vote.. and again.. Hilary won!

You cant have it both ways whenever it fits your needs.. it is one or the other!

Popular vote.. 1 voter = 1 voice… across the nation.
So what if 1 state has more than another.. it don’t matter where they are!
what is wrong with .. everyone everywhere has the same weight in their vote.
it is 1 nation .. voting for 1 leader

If one state has 10 million people.. and another only has 10 people.. should they be equal?
I think it should show 10,000,010 voters in that country!

Upvote 0
Ignorance is Bliss. I am glade the forefathers had a lot more insight and intelligence that this biased group. God Bless the U.S.A.

Will you still proclaim the insight and intelligence of the forefathers, if the electoral college exercised , the power given to them by the founding fathers, and elected Mrs Clinton instead of Mr Trump?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...us-election-win-hillary-clinton-a7433271.html

If not, could you explain why you'd be unhappy with that decision?

Upvote 0
No I didn't... I made my case and used a news source that i'd read this morning to provide supporting information... It doesn't negate the question at all... and there is zero Irony there.

If you (or anyone else who feels the need to have an electoral college system ) would be so kind as to answer the question, that would be appreciated.

same question
Will you still proclaim the insight and intelligence of the forefathers, if the electoral college exercised , the power given to them by the founding fathers, and elected Mrs Clinton instead of Mr Trump?
http://nation.foxnews.com/2016/11/1...g-take-victory-trump-desperate-hail-mary-move

If not, could you explain why you'd be unhappy with that decision?

Reactions: Deleted User
Upvote 0
Ignorance is Bliss. I am glad the forefathers had a lot more insight and intelligence than this biased group. G_d Bless the U.S.A.
Proud to way the Flag. Proud to have Served.

hahaha you got nothin.. don't know how to argue your point.. so you go with crap slogans

LOL
it reminds me of arguing with a bible thumper that don't believe in dinosaurs ever existed...
they get cornered and don't know what to say..
so they quote bible scriptures... and warn of the devil.
so sad.. closed minded...

at this point..
all you can do is..
smile .. back up slowly
no sudden movements...
less they get violent.
and just let them be..

Reactions: notacoach
Upvote 0
ok..

so the majority counts? then Hilary got the most votes in usa.

but you say drumpf is the president elect.. via the Electoral vote system.. by getting more than 270 electoral votes.

and the electoral voters don't have to vote as directed. They can vote any way they want.. with some limits and a small fine.
So of they vote for Hillary... she is the president elect.
what do you say then?
3 electors have already said they will not vote for Trump. We only need 18 more who have a conscience.

As far as the founding fathers.. The EC was created so that slaves could count as 3/5 of a human giving Southern states more electors (due to population) while of course not actually allowing slaves to vote. Do we really want to retain an institution designed to reward slave states with extra electors? It's arcane. Once enough states sign on to ordering all their electors to vote for actual nationwide plurality winner the EC becomes meaningless and we all get an equal voice.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones