1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General If this is true, I'm ditching Motorola

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by HanSolo, Jul 26, 2011.

1. HanSolo

HanSolo Guest
    None
    Verizon could be first carrier to get Samsung Galaxy S II - Los Angeles Gadgets | Examiner.com

If the SGSII comes out on August 12, 8 days after the [very shaky] August 4 release of the Bionic, with a faster processor, same megapixel specs, and a Super AMOLED Plus display, that's it, I'm jumping ship.

0.2" of more screen space (most likely Pen Tile at that) won't be nearly enough to sway me to stay and take what Motorola finally decided to throw at me after ignoring our constant begging for even a simple time frame for the last half year.

:mad:

Advertisement

2. AntimonyER

AntimonyER AF Addict
    None

Jun 18, 2010
    Statesboro, GA
    I really doubt that article, nothing has gone through FCC yet, quickest Verizon ever gets out a phone after going through FCC is one month.

3. HanSolo

HanSolo Guest
    None
    I think it already did. . . it hit the FCC early this month.

Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9103 hits the FCC | Ubergizmo

Note that it includes the CDMA model, which would indicate Verizon.

4. krouget

krouget Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 13, 2010
    It has come down to these two devices, for me, and I'm assuming quite a few others.

At this time, I'm leaning towards the SGS2, after getting a taste of the Charge display and some of the touchwiz features. However, I'm hoping the two devices release within a week of each other, as now anticipated, so I can compare and finally upgrade from my original Droid.

If the Bionic doesn't see an August release date, then I can't say I'd have any motivation to continue waiting for it.

5. Preach2k

Preach2k Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 20, 2010
    Male
    North Carolina
    The only way I would consider the GS2 is if it is LTE...

tehsusenoh likes this.
  6. tehsusenoh

tehsusenoh Android Expert
    None

Jun 17, 2011
    Student
    Same here.

algs26 likes this.
  7. HanSolo

HanSolo Guest
    None
    Agreed. My gut feeling, though, is that if it's going to release this late in the year and be touted as a competitor against the Bionic and iphone 5, it will definitely be 4G.

Also, don't forget that the SGSII is supposedly going to ship with an unlocked bootloader. (Not definite, of course, but that's what the general feeling is over on the SGSII threads.)

If this is the case, you'll be able to root a lot faster than the Bionic, which MIGHT be unlocked in November. And this November time frame, remember, comes from Motorola. So it's either November 2011 or June 2012.

8. jroc

jroc Android Expert
    None

Apr 10, 2010
    I would be amazed if Verizon got the GS2 before any other carrier. Didnt they get their GS1 phone last in 2010?

And you would think Apple would try to pull some strings seeing as how they have their panties in a bunch with Samsung.

If Apple had their way the GS2 would go to Sprint or T Mobile first/2nd, then have it go to AT&T and Verizon just in time for the iPhone 5 launch...

9. AntimonyER

AntimonyER AF Addict
    None

Jun 18, 2010
    Statesboro, GA
    WCDMA is different from CDMA. That was AT&T frequencies. There has not been anything from samsung that went through FCC with LTE except the charge and the Tab 10.1 since the beginning of the year. And also nothing that would represent a Galaxy S II model without LTE either.

10. HanSolo

HanSolo Guest
    None
    Ah, okay. Well, I just can't believe that Samsung has said that it's coming to the States in August and nothing's been done about it. And the industry insider in the original post, I have to believe, isn't just blowing smoke or lying about what he's heard.

If the SGSII is released in August or even September, I think it would be enough to sway me towards Samsung. Motorola has just pissed me off with it's lack of communication over the past year. Leave that kind of behavior for Apple, they're great at it.

I'm just really frustrated that we've had delay after delay, and in the end, it seems like the Bionic won't be any better than any other phone out there. Maybe even slightly worse, if the rumored specs for the U.S. version of the SGSII turn out to be true. I mean, if all we're getting is the Verizon version of the Atrix or the Photon, what the heck took so long???

11. jroc

jroc Android Expert
    None

Apr 10, 2010
    Alleged AT&T Samsung Galaxy S II pictures leak, complete with a physical keyboard - Phone Arena

I dont think its coming to Verizon first. I could be wrong tho..

I mean there have been leaks of the Bionic and no definite time frame yet. If we start seeing more of this GS2 phone it could be coming before the Bionic. The question is which carrier...

I'm guessing LTE and different chipset. Moto went with the OMAP 4 for the Droid 3 and Bionic for some reason. Dont know the reason, but they went away from Tegra 2. I think LTE might have been the biggest delay. There was an article about how Motorola chose to make their own LTE radio.

12. AntimonyER

AntimonyER AF Addict
    None

Jun 18, 2010
    Statesboro, GA
    I actually wonder if AT&T is launching both versions, keyboard and touchscreen. Would be a major coup for them.

13. drdoom

drdoom Android Expert
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    College Student
    North Carolina
    At this point, I'd probably take a SGSII 3G version over the Bionic.

14. John_Roger

John_Roger Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 27, 2010
    Automotive shop manager
    Detroit
    Like most others I've been waiting 7-8 months for this phone (bionic) if this is true Motorola has given up the ghost for me also. I've been happy with moto's UI, and while I don't as of now enjoy samsungs I wont buy the moto if the specs are true. Even if it does look like a iphone rip off (samsung). I won't wait any longer than August. I'm tired of my DX. Just my two cents.

15. HanSolo

HanSolo Guest
    None
  16. drdoom

drdoom Android Expert
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    College Student
    North Carolina
    If they anymore evidence leads to a SGSII variant landing on Verizon within the next 2 months, I'll avoid the Bionic and get it. I'll take a Super AMOLED+ proven device over qHD Pentile and useless (to me) LTE any day.

17. opuntia2

opuntia2 Newbie
    None

Apr 29, 2010
    I know this sounds picky, but the lack of a LED notification light on the SGSII is kind of a deal breaker for me....I don't know, maybe I'll change my mind later, but for now it's a necessity for me.

18. HanSolo

HanSolo Guest
    None
    We still have no idea what it's even going to look like (the Verizon version, anyway).

I'm a little disappointed that all rumors point to it not having a 4.5'' screen. But it seems to be 4G with a faster processor and better quality screen.

I honestly don't think Motorola is going to offer anything spectacular. They may even release it without much fanfare because they won't be able to justify a huge publicity push.

19. redraider1

None

Mar 15, 2011
    you might as well just wait anyway for the new nexus that is supposedly coming to verizon. Then you wont have to worry about it being locked down and will always get updates first.

20. mobimop

mobimop Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 14, 2010
    I agree not picky at all especially when you have been using this feature since the microTAC days!

21. BlueBiker

BlueBiker Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2010
    Male
    New England
    Valid concern. I've been on Droid Charge for a week now, and the missing LED is as irritating as I thought it'd be. Audio alerts aren't enough if you work in noisy environments.

22. AntimonyER

AntimonyER AF Addict
    None

Jun 18, 2010
    Statesboro, GA
    Well sprint version of SGS2 just went through FCC. No sign of verizon version yet.

23. tuggy24g

tuggy24g Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 23, 2010
    Mechanic
    Newtown PA
  24. BlueBiker

BlueBiker Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2010
    Male
    New England
  25. addictedtocars

addictedtocars Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 14, 2011
    Ditto and Moto tends to have better battery life.