1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

if verizon gets iphone, will you leave droid?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by blank, Dec 11, 2009.

1. nateo200

nateo200 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 27, 2009
    cashier
    My comments are in the bold.

Advertisement

2. Barbara

Barbara Android Expert
    None

Oct 31, 2009
    One of my very good iPhone buddies told me about an article he read that said that the same thing happened when Apple came out with their point-and-click operating system. It took someone about 6 years to figure out how to do it only better. The same thing happened with the phones. It took about 6 years for someone to bring something out that could do the same only better.

3. GDroid

GDroid Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 15, 2009
    When I say D, you say ROOOOOOOOOOOOID..D ..ok I'll behave.. :p

4. Graz

Graz Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 5, 2009
  5. Reniassance_Man

None

Nov 8, 2009
    I had total iphone envy before the Droid came out and now I can't see myself going back. Like others have mentioned, Droid has won my heart and is my top gadget of the decade. I recently looked at an iphone and was shocked at how unappealing it was.

The ONLY thing that I still crave from the iphone is the apps variety. Some of my favorite apps are still completely absent from Marketplace, especially the sweet NPR app. One day though, one day.

6. droidtx

droidtx Lurker
    None

Dec 13, 2009
    Nope, no way, no how. I bought the droid. I had a jailbroken iphone on ATT as well. I git tired of refixing the iphone everytime Apple released a new update. It always seemed to break the jailbreak. The droid monthly charges are cheaper. I belive this platform is going to take the smartphone industry over.

7. OneBronzeKing

OneBronzeKing Lurker
    None

Nov 19, 2009
    I would leave droid. I got a ipod touch and a droid at the moment. The droid is wonderful but I don't like carrying both. I need my itunes only podcasts and apps. Tried droid sync software they were all too half-assed.

8. kennyidaho

kennyidaho Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 16, 2009
    Computer Technician
    Take a guess
    Really? Thanks for the common sense update! I just assumed that all the phones vanished when the manufacture switched carriers. :rolleyes:

Creating a CDMA version of the iPhone is not really a big deal. HTC sells CDMA and GSM versions of the same phones.

9. DroidGurl

DroidGurl Newbie
    None

Nov 26, 2009
    I had specific reasons for getting the Droid. In my research I considered the iPhone but I did not want to leave the Verizon network. Ironically I manage the cell phones for the company I work for which includes a small fleet of iPhones.

I like how the Droid works and the physical keyboard. I just got the multimedia dock which is cool. I showed off my Droid to someone familiar with Apple and she was most impressed with the apps on our Android Market. While Apple has many more, she finds looking through them all to find the ones she wants really difficult and that there are a lot of really bad ones you have to wean through. She used the different keyboards and liked them. I like the GPS option - I got the car dock but haven't set it up yet.

If the iPhone came out with Verizon soon I guess I'd be in a 2-year contract with this one so it wouldn't be an option for a while, but I'm not really one to jump around unless I'm trying to work with something too problematic. I am encouraged by the first update addressing some of the issues I was having.

10. Arien157

Arien157 Newbie
    None

Nov 13, 2009
    I have wanted a Iphone from the beginning. But I'm on a family plan on Verizon, so I have been waiting for the Iphone to come to Verizon. That is until that beautiful, beautiful day I saw the Droid TV Ad. I have been waiting since that day to get a Droid and now I only have 10 more days until my phone upgrade. Everyday I go on the internet, read these forums, watch unboxings and reviews. I'm obsessed with it and I don't even own it yet. So if both phone were on Verizon. I would go with the Droid. The only thing in my opinion that is better on the Iphone, is the Ipod in the phone. And Itunes. But I can live without them, because I am getting a Droid!

11. darreno1

darreno1 Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 13, 2009
    This is a matter of opinion. I find the Droid to be well built, better than the iphone and I have no issues with the looks

True there are more mature apps for the iPhone (mostly games) although I still think Android has better business apps. One that comes to mind is Touchdown. For games, I agree, iPhone is king, for now.

However, I had a 3g for a year and there were tons of apps that crashed. Hell even the well known Shazam, among others crashed repeatedly on my 3g. So Apple's supposed quality control isn't all that it's made out to be IMO. And looking at the Apple forums, I'm not alone.

The fact that the iPhone HAS to be jailbroken to install 3rd party apps (something the Droid can do from the get go)is a big knock against it. Most don't do it because it voids the warranty. In fact Apple is so against it, the newer iPhone 3gSs that have the 3rd, 4th and 5th numbers of the serial# above 940 can't be rebooted (when jailbroken) without running blackra1n again. Apple is slowly but surely clamping down on jailbreaking, and at the hardware level. Watch for the next iPhone to be next to impossible to Jailbreak.

Also the Droid has already been rooted which makes it just as (or more) customizable than a jailbroken iPhone.

Multi touch is smoother on the iPhone but Dolphin Browser not only gives me pinch zoom but tab browsing, which alone blows away Safari IMO. Media player? I don't know, the Droid's plain jane music player works fine for me although it does lack an equalizer which would be the only knock against it but I'm sure that will be remedied. As for videos, there are very few formats that I've not been able to play. And the Video quality on the Droid looks noticeably better than the iPhone for obvious reasons. Even youtube on the iPhone is no match for the Droid.

One of the biggest advantages of Android is the ability to multitask easily. Yeah I know there are tons of gimmicks on the iPhone but:
    1. The iPhone has to be jailbroken.
    2. They are no where near as seamless as Android.

Other advantages include a removable battery and a bigger much sharper screen. Having a battery go bad on an iPhone means a trip to the Apple store and maybe a Steve Jobs special (bend-over- and take-up-the-b*tt) by one of the 'geniuses'. I know there are external battery solutions but they are clunky and no where near as convenient as being able to use a longer life battery. Or even to simply switch to another full charged one.
    Ever looked at the screens side by side? There is no comparison. I play with my friend's 3Gs every so often and cringe when I look at the screen. I guess I'm spoiled by the Droid's resolution.

So to answer the OP: There is no way in hell I'll get another iPhone.

12. AzJazz

AzJazz Member
    None

Nov 15, 2009
    Nope ... Not interested. Droid is doing just what I want, and maybe more.

13. aileendq

aileendq Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 6, 2009
    Female
    Boston, MA
    I'm REALLY insulted. :p THIS lady is an expert marksman with and M-16, a 9mm and a shotgun. Not to mention my unarmed combat skills.... maybe you should try hanging out with REAL "ladies." :)

14. clos1084

clos1084 Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 11, 2009
    Accountant and Best Buy Mobile
    Wilmington, DE
    if Apple changes, then is possible.

But Apple changing isnt gonna happen

15. Gunner

Gunner Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 9, 2009
    Please.......continue... :D

16. leftystrat

leftystrat Well-Known Member
    None

If Microsoft goes open source, will I leave linux? :)

17. Miga

Miga Newbie
    None

Dec 14, 2009
    Bank
    Springfield Mo
    Nope. I am pretty much anti Apple. I dont feel a company should blacklist apps and control the consumer so much. If i buy a phone, its mine. I am not borrowing it from you. I feel like thats what Apple is all about.

18. xentrik

xentrik Lurker
    None

Nov 23, 2009
    i dont think i will, i cant handle touch keyboards, makes me type slow and im use to typing very fast

maybe my fingers are too big?

i like the feel of pressing an actual button, if they release an iphone with a slide away keyboard, im there

19. oceanlight

oceanlight Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    USA
    i think i love you.

20. MicroNix

MicroNix Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 24, 2009
    I will give the media player to Apple. It is superb with lots of glitz and very intuitive. Sadly, I was very disappointed with the stock Droid player. I really thought Google could do better than that!! MixZing is a fairly functional substitution but I'm hoping to see it taken to the next level.

The browser however, I have to disagree with. Because of the Droid's screen and res, the browser is FAR more useful than the iPhone's. Fingering around the screen all over because it doesn't fit width-wise on an iPhone is rediculous. And pinch to zoom? I'm still trying to figure out why this the savior of the browsing world? I'll take a double tap any day which is faster and with the Droid, one double tap makes even the smallest print readable. I really don't see where pinch to zoom is better than a night in bed with (you pick your favorite model).

All one needs to see are the two screens side by side. That alone, in itself, one feature, is enough to make the iPhone look like a child's toy.

21. nateo200

nateo200 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 27, 2009
    cashier
    Ill be sure to watch myself around you haha.

22. fehhkk

fehhkk Newbie
    None

Nov 9, 2009
    Motorola, Inc.
    Chicago, IL
    I had an iPhone 3G since launch before the Droid. I don't think anyone can't deny that this both are good phones, and the Droid is still second to the iPhone in terms of user interface smoothness.

I love the Droid's flexibility of one day being a full touchscreen phone, and the other day, if I feel like it, I can use the keyboard. For this, I find the Droid less boring than the iPhone.

The Droid's strong point is mostly Verizon's cell network. If Sprint had the Droid for example, I would've never left the iPhone for it.

23. vjdupree

vjdupree Newbie
    None

Dec 3, 2009
    Sure, Ill give up my cutting edge, open source Droid for a 4 year old device.
    Make sense?

Open Source>Iphone

Besides I dont have a Toyota Prius, do they have a pretentious app for our Droids yet?

24. VeryApe

VeryApe Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 24, 2009
    Systems Administrator
    Lancaster, PA
    I'll switch if I can kick every Apple fanboi in the balls.

Does hell go with no?

25. AaronT

AaronT Newbie
    None

Nov 9, 2009
    IT Slave
    Cleveland, Ohio
    NO WAY, i had an iDont, hate apple, they call themselves genius, how arrogant. the droid is awesome i love it.