1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

If you are having trouble rooting

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by nickzaw, Jun 24, 2010.

1. jrbaker8

jrbaker8 Newbie

it should be an option under the htc folder on your start menu, or go through the program files.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. ShiftLft

ShiftLft Member

Yeah, so is there still the issue of card brands? I have a 4GB Sandisk from a couple years ago that I've been trying this with, and no luck after a couple hours. I've tried every method in this thread plus others, no luck. Could it be the card? Anything else to try?

3. DRW315

DRW315 Newbie

Bought a 2GB Lexar class 2 card and booted into recovery on the first try using the sd card insert/remove method. And then I accidentally hit reboot instead of Apply: update.zip, and now I can't get back into recovery!!! What a fool am I.

But I at least know it is possible for me, which gives me hope. Now I'll never get any sleep tonight... :D

4. crimton

crimton Android Expert

[​IMG]

DRW315 likes this.
  5. mindleak

mindleak Newbie

I. LOVE. YOU.

After hours of trying last night... the OP's method worked the FIRST TIME I tried it!

I peed a little.

6. DRW315

DRW315 Newbie

Well played sir, well played.

7. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

Omg DR that's a rooter's nightmare. You're bound to get it again though having had luck that quickly.

8. KTaNnEr2553

KTaNnEr2553 Lurker

Applogize for the question here, but what is the point of root? Like what can I do that I cant with stock incredible? It worth it?

9. hobie5

hobie5 Newbie

Ok, I've read through all of the different instructions, watched the videos and tried it a bunch of times. I've never rooted a phone before however I don't think i'm missing anything so here is my question...

When the phone is booted up normally and connected to the pc, if I have USB debugging enabled I get this...

[​IMG]

If I boot into recovery, I lose the Android ADB Interface and all I have are the two references in the Disk Drive section. If I try to access the ADB while booted up normally I can access it however I don't have root permission so wouldn't it make sense to have the ADB interface showing up while booted into recovery? I could be way off on this but, It just seems like the device drivers should be getting more attention.

[​IMG]

Does anybody know how to get the ADB device showing up while the phone is booted into recovery and is USB debugging supposed to be turned on or off in the different methods, I don't see anything about it.

I'm not giving up just yet however I'm hoping for a better way. Beating my head against the wall is getting a bit old. Thanks for any help out there. Who needs an EVO anyway, front facing shmront smaching...:D:thinking:

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit
    Two SD cards:
    16GB Sandisk SDHC
    2GB Sandisk (formatted fat32)
    Using PDANet driver currently
    USB Debugging = On...

10. kibble

kibble Well-Known Member

I believe that the problem some of us are having is that when we plug the phone back in when we're trying to go into recovery is that it only gets recognized as a storage device and nothing having to do with adb, at least nothing populates as an android device in my case. I sat there and watched the device manager to see what came up when I went into recovery. I wonder if anybody that was able to root can verify that it comes up with an android device when they go into recovery mode?

11. DRW315

DRW315 Newbie

I am currently in recovery. The device manager shows:

[​IMG]

Looks like you are right (in my case at least) about the phone showing up as Android Phone -> Android ADB Interface.

kibble likes this.
  12. iowabowtech

That's exactly how mine showed up.

13. Rrrracer

Rrrracer Android Enthusiast

Finally... my root virginity has been taken...

DINC ROOTED FTW!!!

Using the method posted here with the stock 2GB Sandisk card. For me, it was making sure my PC was recognizing the Android device, and timing of the card insertion.

Sorry, I know it's no big deal, but after not being able to root my Eris (leaked 2.1) I had to post something :)

Keep trying guys! Now to play... :-D

14. hobie5

hobie5 Newbie

but, which driver did you use? HTC Sync driver, PDANet driver or something else? What OS as well... Did you do something specific to load the drivers or were they auto discovered? Thanks!

15. hobie5

hobie5 Newbie

Also, do you have USB Debugging On or Off? Thanks again!

16. iowabowtech

Not meaning to speak for others but the driver that came with unrevoked2 is what gave me the adb interface recognition you see above. The html link in the download bundle provides the driver download and pictorial instructions on loading it. Yes on usb debugging.

hobie5 likes this.
  17. DRW315

DRW315 Newbie

I used the modified ADB usb driver with usb debugging enabled and set to disk drive as default.

I installed HTC Sync, then uninstalled, then installed PDAnet (which is still installed). I made sure the phone showed up in device manager every step of the way; I think I had to manually install the driver in hboot. I finally achieved root using XP SP3 but I had been trying with Linux as well. For me it was definitely the sd card that did the trick.

hobie5 likes this.
  18. hobie5

hobie5 Newbie

:D I FINALLY stumbled onto something that worked for me!

I have to say that the trick for me seems to have been just getting the driver installed correctly while in Recovery. This was performed on XP Pro SP3. I had been trying mostly on Win7 however I had tried on both with no success until tonight.

- USB Debugging MUST be enabled

Ahhhhh, I can't remeber exactly how it all went down right now but, I know that all I did was remove/ reinstall the phone in device manager while booted up normally. It asked for a reboot of the pc which i did. Then with USB debug still on I rebooted the phone into recovery, I uninstalled whatever was showing up and reinstalled the device with the usb-drivers.zip that I've found in some of these instructions. After I did that the device showed up as HTC Boot or something like that at the very top of device manager. Once I did that I fired up loop.bat and got that correct message. After that I actually used the aweseome tool called Incredible rooter. One thing that took me a few seconds was that I didn't realize that I had to kill loop.bat before I could continue.

Holy crap, I can't believe that for something so simple it is such a pisser. Once you find that magic combination it really is a piece of cake. I did perform the whole SD Card click during recovery deal but, I really think it was all related to the driver. Happy hunting and thanks for those who helped me.

I tested wifi tether and it worked great! I'm just wondering now how many systems can connect at one time. I did two at once here and it worked just fine.

Keep on keeping on and chalk another root up on the board!

19. iowabowtech

Good job man. Way to stick with it.

20. silverxbv2

silverxbv2 Well-Known Member

That is funny as hell!!!

21. cortland1998

cortland1998 Well-Known Member

Try my new post :) Yes... another way of rooting. lol

http://androidforums.com/all-things...d-my-5th-incredible-tonight-using-method.html

22. nyngbld

nyngbld Well-Known Member

ROFLMAO, i know i am going to be in the same boat. i dont get a lot of time to mess with this, but i am so anxious to get it working....

23. iowabowtech

24. letters

letters Newbie

Holy crap. After four weeks of trying I finally got root. Perfect timing. I am leaving town tomorrow and now gave wireless tether for my iPad. Thanks for the tips!

25. kibble

kibble Well-Known Member

Thanks for the confirmation! That's exactly what I thought wasn't happening! So now I gotta get it to show up in recovery and should be good to go!

HTC Droid Incredible Forum

The HTC Droid Incredible release date was April 2010. Features and Specs include a 3.7" inch screen, 8MP camera, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1300mAh battery.

April 2010
Release Date
Reviews