• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root If you get "Failed Flashing process. (0x7100)" in RSD Lite

is it possible that a program on my computer or app on my phone may be preventing the flashing process? or is it simply an issue with RSDLite? please helpp!!!!! :(

edit*

No matter what I do, I get this error in the log file in my RSDLite folder. I have moved the SPRecovery file almost everywhere on my hardrive, run RSDLite in every compatibility mode offered, and ran it as an administrator on all of them...

13:37:17, July 19, 2010
Line: 865
ERROR: \\?\c:\sprecovery_ese81.sbfug8

Upvote 0
Computer engineer here. Registered so I could post this and hopefully help a few of you guys out :cool:

I was running into the same problem, with Win7 x64, RSD Lite 4.6, latest drivers. Did some investigation into the error log and looks like I found a bug in their programming. Go into the directory you installed RSD Lite (for Win7 x64 the default is C:\Program Files (x86)\Motorola\RSD Lite\) and look for a file that starts with "FlashErrorLog". Open it, and if you see something like this:

Code:
ERROR: \\?\c:\SPRecovery_ESE81.sbfwtƒyo

Upvote 0
brand new to the forums and totally new to rooting. downloaded rsd lite, the .sbf. the drivers. flashed the sbf with rsd lite and it went through this long process of installing then failed at the end. freaked out and turned my phone on and 2.0.1 is installed.(had to sign into my google account) phone seems to run fine even though it said flashing failed. should i be worried and do it again?

Upvote 0
When I rename the file RSD Lite will no longer recognize it.

Don't change the file extension - only add characters before the ".sbf". Changing the file name to "r.sbf1234" will cause it to be not recognized by RSD Lite. You need to change it to something like "r1234.sbf". Let me know if it works out for you.

madmike20 said:
brand new to the forums and totally new to rooting. downloaded rsd lite, the .sbf. the drivers. flashed the sbf with rsd lite and it went through this long process of installing then failed at the end. freaked out and turned my phone on and 2.0.1 is installed.(had to sign into my google account) phone seems to run fine even though it said flashing failed. should i be worried and do it again?

If the part it failed at was "trying to communicate with phone", then you are fine and it probably installed correctly. The reason it says there is an error here is because after it flashes and reboots, your phone loads the normal image but RSD Lite is expecting it to go into the boot loader. So you most likely are fine and can continue with your rooting/ROM loading guide.

Upvote 0
Computer engineer here. Registered so I could post this and hopefully help a few of you guys out :cool:

I was running into the same problem, with Win7 x64, RSD Lite 4.6, latest drivers. Did some investigation into the error log and looks like I found a bug in their programming. Go into the directory you installed RSD Lite (for Win7 x64 the default is C:\Program Files (x86)\Motorola\RSD Lite\) and look for a file that starts with "FlashErrorLog". Open it, and if you see something like this:

Code:
ERROR: \\?\c:\SPRecovery_ESE81.sbfwt

Upvote 0
Just for the record, it is important to drag and drop the pst_flash.ini file that comes with the RSDLite download into the RSDLite folder in the program files. I had the same error y'all did until I did this. It makes sense that the file is related to flashing the rom right?

BTW I am running an unrooted Droid X

Upvote 0
Ugh...

I installed the right driver - 32-bit - and I've followed every instruction to the "t"... But this is what I get:

Line: 235
ERROR: Phone[0000]: Phone is not compatible with multi-interface super-file.
File: D:\test_dev_usb\flash\code\flashdll\MIFlash.cpp
Device ID: 0

21:49:28, August 09, 2010
Line: 1183
ERROR: Phone[0000]: Flash failed.
File: D:\test_dev_usb\flash\code\flashdll\PST_FP_FlashThread.cpp

21:49:28, August 09, 2010
Line: 587
ERROR: Flash failure: Phone[0000]: Phone is not compatible with multi-interface super-file. (Error Code: 3b),
Detailed Error Details: Direction of the Error=No Direction, Command Value=0, Code Group Number=No Codegroup
File: D:\test_dev_usb\flash\code\flashdll\FlashHdlr.cpp

What gives??

EDIT: Lawl...
I answered my own question, but in case anyone else runs into this problem, you'll probably feel as silly as I do...

The "pst_flash.ini" file that comes in the RSDLite-4.7 zip file is the patch. It needs to replace the pst_flash.ini that the installer loads in the program files.

I couldn't figure out why the instructions would say to put the file in there if it was already in there.... Yes, I am blonde. But at least I figured it out eventually...

DX just rebooted. It didn't touch my apps or my settings! Score!

Reactions: Zaxxon and BigJim94
Upvote 0
This was the post I was saying thank you

Computer engineer here. Registered so I could post this and hopefully help a few of you guys out

Code:
ERROR: \\?\c:\SPRecovery_ESE81.sbfwtƒyo

Reactions: Foxgguy2001
Upvote 0

Code:
ERROR: \\?\c:\SPRecovery_ESE81.sbfwt

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones