• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

If you have no reason to ditch iTunes, that might convince you

What a pity that they skimped with the phono cartridge!

I've spent more hours listening to Quad amps and loudspeakers (and of course the LP12) than any other high-end playback system. Ken Christianson of Victor's Stereo, and later (and still) Pro Musica in Chicago was also a serious hobbyist at making recordings of acoustic music performances.

Sure, there were plenty of records that sounded great with nothing else to compare them to. But when Ken plugged in his modded Revox open-reel deck and played some of his recordings, the difference was readily apparent.

I consider myself exceedingly fortunate to have had people like Ken and Victor mentoring me back then. And thanks to people like Sam Tellig when he was the "Audio Cheapskate" at Stereophile magazine, I was able to own some pretty decent gear at prices that I could afford.

Upvote 0
Actual CDs for preference, Amazon, Google , EMusic, 7digital for DRM-free downloads.
Sadly no decent HiFi anymore, but a decent0ish Altec Lansing 2.1 set on my PC. It can shake the house with Organ music - Stainer's Crucifixion (And there was Darkness over the face of the earth) when the 32' pipes kick in.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones