• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

If you have rooted phone, looking for install apk file

jimdays

Nov 20, 2015
I heard that you need a rooted phone to access the actual install file (apk file) when you download from Google Play.
Here is the free software from Google Play:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.audials&hl=en
The software name is Audials. I installed the software and it works no problem (allows you to play/record many internet radio stations). However, I am old school and would like to have the corresponding apk file as a backup to be stored. If you know how to do that (get the apk file), please reply and attach the apk file so I can get it.
Also, if you could briefly show me (with screenshots) how you got the apk file, that would be useful.

Do any of the apk backup apps in the Play Store work? Or you could use the Helium backup app, which can back the app up without requiring root. That should do what you ask.

Even for a free app the developer has copyright, which means that we should not redistribute it unless they give permission (some do, some don't, and I don't know with this app). Hence I figure it's better if you can make your own backup.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I use Helium (which Hadron suggested above). Just to confirm your questions:
1) Helium doesn't require root.
2) Helium puts a copy of the (normal installable) APK in a folder called "Carbon" located at the top level of your phone's internal storage. From there you can drag it to your PC for safekeeping, if you like. Helium can also backup your data and phone settings.

In order to use Helium, you have to:
1) Install the app on your phone.
2) Install a small Helium program on your PC, Mac, or Linux-PC.
3) Connect the phone & PC by USB and launch both the phone-app & PC program.

Reactions: electricpete
Upvote 0
"I use Helium (which Hadron suggested above). Just to confirm your questions:
1) Helium doesn't require root.
2) Helium puts a copy of the (normal installable) APK in a folder called "Carbon" located at the top level of your phone's internal storage. From there you can drag it to your PC for safekeeping, if you like. Helium can also backup your data and phone settings.
In order to use Helium, you have to:
1) Install the app on your phone.
2) Install a small Helium program on your PC, Mac, or Linux-PC.
3) Connect the phone & PC by USB and launch both the phone-app & PC program."

Thank you for the clear and useful reply.

Upvote 0
Thanks Eletricpete. I thought that root (or Helium's trick) was needed to backup APKs.

Did that change sometime after Android 2.3 as part of newer Android OSes? On my old Android 2.3 device I thought I had to root it in order to backup the apps (with Titanium Backup).

I guess at this point (for unrooted users) the advantage of Helium (over App_Backup_Restore) is that Helium can also save app data & system settings.

Upvote 0
I don't know about how it used to be. I think I've used the app since 4.3

I agree, helium does more than the app I mentioned, which only backs up apk's.

One limitation of the app I mentioned is that it won't back up paid apps (unless the license key is separate install from playstore). That sort of makes sense. IF you had that capability, you could transfer the apk to other users to bypass their payment. Don't know how helium approaches that issue.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Do any of the apk backup apps in the Play Store work? Or you could use the Helium backup app, which can back the app up without requiring root. That should do what you ask.

Even for a free app the developer has copyright, which means that we should not redistribute it unless they give permission (some do, some don't, and I don't know with this app). Hence I figure it's better if you can make your own backup.
Yes, even for a free app, we should not redistribute it unless they give permission. :cool:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones