• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

If you were going to switch from OV...

If I was going to switch from the V (again) and had to remain on VM's craptastic network I'd go with the Evo.

If I had to stay on a grandfathered plan I'd stay with the Optimus V. I only switched to the Optimus Elite because I managed to get it in on the grandfathered plan. Otherwise I'd still be using my Optimus V.

Come to the dark side. We have cookies. ;)

Upvote 0
Bought an HTC One V on a new number so as not to risk my$25. Was willing to bite the $35 bullet but alas the connectivity was still the same. If I'm going to spend another $180 on a phone then it will be a real one with real service. (Great little phone though.) After much gnashing of teeth I finally rooted the V. Dah! Had this thing for a year and a half and ended up with a really cool phone for free after a couple of hours messing around. Link2sd and and an additional FAT 32 partition on the uSD card expanded the phones mini memory by a GB. Suddenly tons of space, no uninstalling maps updates and trying to decide which apps were really important. Being able to use the real Facebook app instead of finding something I can move to the SD card. Now works like it should have in the first place. Still using the stock ROM. Even Netflix works with no space issues.

Upvote 0
Thanks for catching that mistake. Edited my post.
Brains fried! Been working too hard on getting a wireless connection on my new Ubuntu 12.04 distro, without a wired connection and an ancient wireless card (decided I'd give Ubuntu a try and dual booted). Finally figured it out. I went down my usual hard road first, but it turned out to be quite simple.

Yes: The HTC Evo V 3G/4G is the way to go without a doubt, if Virgin Mobile gets 4G in my area.

Upvote 0
I am saving my pennies for an EVO. When I was with Sprint, I couldn't justify the monthly price for a smartphone. VM got me an android phone and unlimited data for 45% of what I would have spent at Sprint. But I so wanted an EVO, and still do. I think by the time time I have saved up enough, there might be a better phone to be had.

Upvote 0
If I were to switch phones, it would be to the EVO, as it's the only phone VM has that supports anything remotely similar to 4G LTE (WiMAX). Although, considering that most of us love our little OV's and will probably run with them till they drop dead, mobile WiMAX from Sprint has a stated end-of-life sometime in 2015. Does it make sense for us to consider a phone that at best has limited support from the carrier? Probably not. So faster speeds means switching carriers and dealing with technology almost 2 generations behind (if you stay no-contract).

Contract carriers (aka finance companies) make their bank by financing phones for two years. Trying to keep Apples to Apples (pun intended) for the sake of this example: both VM and Sprint have the iPhone 4s. The listed unactivated price for both is $650 and that is where the similarity ends.

Sprint is currently offering the 4s for $100 with the least expensive unlimited text and data plan with 450 minutes at $70. VM has their unlimited text and data plan at $35 with 300 minutes. (Close enough for this comparison)

VM - total cost of ownership for two years: $650 + (24 x $35) = $1490
Sprint total cost of ownership for two years: $100 + (24 x $70) = $1780

Almost $300 dollars more over the two year contract. It's worse when you consider unlimited everything, that results in a $530 difference.

Paying that much more just to get a cheaper entry point? Not for me. I'll stick with my OV running ICS and over 100 apps till the thing drops dead or I decide to switch to something like a T-Mobile no-contract plan at $45 a month unlimited everything with a phone similar to their $350 Sammy GS2. At least with something like this T-Mobile plan, you get a reasonably decent phone with 4G (HSPA+) coverage. Not to mention far better building penetration than Sprint.

Upvote 0
can't give up my $25mo plan, plus I can't give up the easy tethering and other things the OV can do with out needing to root.

though have been waiting to get the GF a new phone and the elite at $99 often would be the one id get her.

I was just on VM's website, the elite is on sale for $79.00 !

Other phones on sale too!

Upvote 0
Thanks for catching that mistake. Edited my post.
Brains fried! Been working too hard on getting a wireless connection on my new Ubuntu 12.04 distro, without a wired connection and an ancient wireless card (decided I'd give Ubuntu a try and dual booted). Finally figured it out. I went down my usual hard road first, but it turned out to be quite simple.

Yes: The HTC Evo V 3G/4G is the way to go without a doubt, if Virgin Mobile gets 4G in my area.

My issue with the VM phones is that they are all (so far) WiMax- is Sprint really going to spend money on adding to its WiMax network when they are trying to focus on expanding their LTE coverage?

Just a thought...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones