• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root If your X is stuck in a bootloop you want to look here!!!

BringTheRain403

Android Enthusiast
May 7, 2010
Hello everyone! I may have some good news for some of you who are stuck in a boot loop on your X. I was stuck in one as well and I was able to fix it. I'll outline the steps I took. I can't guarantee anything except for that it worked for me.

Download this file and rename it "Update.zip" and place it on your SD card.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LWZE5M71

Here's my time line of events...

1. Rooted my X

2. Removed Bloatware

3. Got scared that it would screw things up when it looked for a future update so I tried to put everything back. During this step BEFORE I got the opportunity to set permissions I got stuck in the dreaded boot loop.

4. Did a factory reset in recovery

5. Wiped the cache recovery

6. Put the update.zip file on my SD card

7. applied Update.zip file in recovery

8. no more brick!!!

For those of you stuck in the boot loop it's worth a try. I lost root but that's a small price to pay to get everything working again!

Hope this helps at least a few of you and if it works please remember to thank me!

Rich

Reactions: eulerphi8 and 91STT
The update is digitally signed, however the problem is when the bloatware is not replaced before applying the update.zip, therefore it will not work, it gets to the 1st bloatware missing and fails!!! So, this will not work, unless bloatware is replaced prior to going into the bootloop. :(

In my case I had put all the bloatware back abd during the process of setting the permissions it froze up and started boot looping...

Upvote 0
Hello everyone! I may have some good news for some of you who are stuck in a boot loop on your X. I was stuck in one as well and I was able to fix it. I'll outline the steps I took. I can't guarantee anything except for that it worked for me.

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

1. Rooted my X

2. Removed Bloatware

3. Got scared that it would screw things up when it looked for a future update so I tried to put everything back. During this step BEFORE I got the opportunity to set permissions I got stuck in the dreaded boot loop.

8. no more brick!!!

For those of you stuck in the boot loop it's worth a try. I lost root but that's a small price to pay to get everything working again!

Hope this helps at least a few of you and if it works please remember to thank me!

Rich

I have a big question for you. I'm a new DX owner and thought I would tamper with rooting. Well, root and unroot isn't my problem. Uninstalling CityID with Titanium Backup and not backing it up is my problem. I did a full system restore thinking that would work and it didn't. Please help. Sounds like your very knowledgeable in this area. They say I will need this for the 2.2 update. So I'm kinda stressing. Sorry for the book:)

Upvote 0

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file
delivery service

1. Rooted my X

2. Removed Bloatware

8. no more brick!!!

Rich
How do you get the zip file to stay in that format so I can move it over to SD. I'm so lost, please help.
I deleted CityID with Titanium Backup with out actually backing it up. I did a system recovery to out of box state but still missing that bloatware.

Upvote 0

1. Rooted my X

2. Removed Bloatware

8. no more brick!!!

Rich
Yes I have root explorer. And I think so drewlaqua. But I can't seem to save the update.zip file anywhere unless I unzip it. But then it isn't a single file.:eek:

Upvote 0

1. Rooted my X

2. Removed Bloatware

8. no more brick!!!

Rich

first off i would like to say thanks for all the great help but im still having one problem im in the recovery boot and i try to load from sd and i get the error "failed to read footer from /sdcard/update.zip" any pointers i would love any help and is there any way to charge a phone during boot loops...

Upvote 0
you cannot charge phone during bootloops, have it turned off then charge to help your battery out, and an easier way to get out of boot loop is to home your home button and power, once you see the device power on let go of power but continue to hold home

once you see the droid exclamation point hit your search key

from there wipe data/factory reset

then reboot, it may take a bit but it will come back up, usually takes a long bootload. but dont sweat, it can take up to 5 minutes, some devices pending lol. if you have any other problems dont hesitate to ask. that and this topic is a year old :p

Reactions: tr33s
Upvote 0
do you know what SBFing is??

its a quick and simple process that takes 10 minutes.

quick overview google search RSD Lite 4.9

download the current Motorola Drivers.

get the full sbf file of 2.3.340

here is the link that has the sbf file
U D G
your going to need to browse it, im at work and cannot view the page

after rsd lite and moto drivers are installed
reboot pc, (you should always reboot after you install programs)

MAKE SURE YOUR PHONE HAS AT LEAST 60% BATTERY LEFT!
-then open rsd lite in administrator mode(win 7, vista) if your on xp just open it
-then locate the sbf file you downloaded, i suggest once you download it, you move it to your desktop in a folder, named Droid X Stock or move it somewhere you can always find it
-then cut your phone off
-while holding vol down, camera, push the power button til the screen flashes
-your now in the bootloader screen, connect your cable to your pc from your phone
-hit show device if you want, but make sure there is a device there, hit start, it takes about 5 mins or so
-then your phone will begin to reboot
-once you see the Moto M, remove the battery, and then put it back in
-then hold down the Home button and Power button
-once its turning on, let go of power, but continue to hold the Home button, until you see a droid with the exclamation point.
-hit search button
-scroll down using volume rockers to wipe data/factory reset, and hit yes
and then do the same with wiping cache
-then reboot your phone
and your done

if you need more help please let me know, this process takes roughly 10 minutes or less. and your phone will be completely stock

Reactions: tr33s
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones