1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Ignoring the Software Update ... Mobile Hotspot?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by TheDogsCar, Jul 22, 2011.

1. TheDogsCar

TheDogsCar Newbie
    None

Mar 17, 2011
    NYC
    A little over a week ago, I started to get a notice that there was a 'Software Update' ...

Thank God ... my phone has had no problems :)

My experience with firmware and software, is not to update it unless you are experiencing the problems the update fixes (unless it is a security update), or you might be getting new problems you never had ... so I have been just hitting 'Home', and making it go away :rolleyes:

The last couple days, the notice to Update has been popping up every few hours ... so, I was wondering, has anyone had experience on what happens if you choose the option 'Defer' or 'Reject'? Will either stop the notices ... and for how long?

Also, I understand I will lose my Mobile Hotspot if I update. I am still getting the message there is "no additional charge" for the service, and I "will need to subscribe" once it is over. Does 'Defer' or "Reject' make an acceptance of the end of the 'promotional period', and shut off Hotspot, even without updating software?

Bottom line ... unless you are a Tech Wonk, there is no way of knowing the Hotspot promotional period has ended, and until they give me Gingerbread ... why pay for Hotspot, to get updates I do not want, or need?

P.S. to those who claim Verizon will bill me for Hotspot even if I do not hit 'Defer' or 'Reject' ... I have been a Customer of VZW for a couple decades. I highly doubt if I get a bill for my free Hotspot, that they will not credit me ... since no where on my Bill does it say it has ended ... nor have they emailed me of it's end. That is the beauty of them sneaking it into an Update ... their sneakiness, is my free Hotspot :D

Advertisement

2. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    They have made it very public the hotspot feature ended on the 7th. I wouldn't put it past Verizion to bill you if you keep using the wireless hotspot feature, you may get a credit for 1 month but then you would have to call in and ask for the credit, and I doubt on your bill do they say you have a "Free wireless hotspot promotion"

Likely the update only changes it to actually warn you that you will be billed for using the feature. The wireless hotspot just tell VZW you are using it and your data should be billed to the hotspot not against your mobile data plan. They have in your records that you received a notice for the update, wether you accept or reject it you have been notified, if you choose to reject it and get charged for the feature it is on you not them.

Of course I could be totally wrong but if I am and you ignore my advise you slip one past "the man" if I am not you get to bite the bullet and pay for that hotspot feature.

Will you pass on the GB update to keep the hotspot if you aren't charged for it? If you really want that much control over your phone why not root so you aren't pestered by your phone wanting to update?

jr313 likes this.
  3. pat3332

pat3332 Well-Known Member
    None

May 1, 2011
    Oklahoma City
    Have you logged in to myverizon.com to check your bill? On mine, in two different places, were these entries:

For the 3 days period from the end of the Hotspot to the end of my billing cycle
    4G SMARTPHONE Hotspot 07/07 - 07/09 $3.00
    30.00/mo / 3 days on new service

For the next billing period
    4G SMARTPHONE Hotspot 07/10 - 08/09 (month in advance) ​
    $30.00

I doubt very much that you're still getting the hotspot for free. Like Yeahha, I've also been wrong before, but if you did nothing, you were probably automatically rolled into the $30.00/month unlimited plan. You can always opt for the tiered plan, or just not pay for the hotspot and not be able to use it. You lost the free hotspot on 7/7 and updating has nothing to do with it.

trapperjohn and Yeahha like this.
  4. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    Great post pat. I've not used the hotspot feature(root only or official) so my bill did not change at all. But if you use it unlimited for $30 is a great price especially if you have 4g

5. jnicholson_23

jnicholson_23 Lurker
    None

Jul 23, 2011
    Talked to verizon and they say that the $30 a month only covers 2GB not unlimited for the hotspot, even if you had unlimited data plan before

6. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
  7. Dobieg

Dobieg Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 14, 2010

I think you were misinformed. Unlimited 4g hotspot is $30. 00.
    2GB is $20. 00.
    I was quoted wrong when i first called until the rep realized I had a 4g phone.

8. rvn15

rvn15 Lurker
    None

Feb 23, 2011
    I did use the hotspot for about a week after 7/7 and also last weekend for a day (needed to because my home service wasn't working).

My bill from two days ago show no hotspot charges as described by Pat. I am not sure when the popups for installing the firmware started, but I have always hit reject without any issues.

Therefore, I definitely received free hotspot after 7/7. I don't expect the the service to remain free but that was my experience. I don't know if I will use the hotspot again in the near future because the home internet is working now.

TheDogsCar likes this.
  9. TheDogsCar

TheDogsCar Newbie
    None

Mar 17, 2011
    NYC
    Thanks for the replies ... I added the PS, in the hope the thread would not be hijacked by the 'You will have to pay' crowd

I too received my Bill in the mail for Usage through July 10th,and Services through August 10th ... with no charges, or references, for Hotspot. I was charged for what I had originally 'subscribed' to ... and nothing more.

Anyone else try 'Defer' or 'Reject'???

10. CegAbq

CegAbq Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 15, 2009
    Albuquerque
    I have not received (nor sought) the update. I used the MHS on July 15; my billing cycle ends July 25. I'll come back & update as to whether I was charged or got it for free.

TheDogsCar likes this.
  11. snsjets

snsjets Member
    None

Sep 21, 2010
    Bonney Lake, WA
    Have not updated here. Have been using MHS daily. My cycle ends on the 12th and nothing changed in my billing between 7/7 and 7/12.
    3 days ago I was finally prompted to install the update but I rejected. We'll see we happens next time around. So far nothing shows that I have a hotspot on my account.

TheDogsCar likes this.
  12. TxGoat

TxGoat Guest
    None
    I rejected the update as much as I could, and then one day while I was doing something else on the phone, I got a quick flash and to my horror I accidentally accepted the dreaded "reboot upgrade". Sure enough the upgrade caused my phone to reboot a few times and my Tethering was disabled and my Wifi had that same "charge" message. After my 4th reboot I said screw it and just rooted the phone.

TheDogsCar likes this.
  13. TheDogsCar

TheDogsCar Newbie
    None

Mar 17, 2011
    NYC
    Thanks for the replies ...

I am getting the Software Update message almost every time I use the phone ... so I can see how I might activate it by mistake :eek:

14. jennay22

jennay22 Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 19, 2010
    VA
    Yup, this was happening to me to so I just accepted it and installed the software this morning. It's been an hour and a half and no issues (knock on wood).

ETA: My girls love playing games and watching Netflix on my phone and I'd rather just do the update now instead of it popping up when they have the phone where they can f**k something up w/o me knowing.

15. CegAbq

CegAbq Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 15, 2009
    Albuquerque
    Well - earlier this evening I had my first notice to grab the update; I managed to reject for now - but guess the writing is on the wall & soon I won't be able to decline. :rolleyes:

16. dcpmark

dcpmark Newbie
    None

Sep 22, 2010
    My bill cycle ends today. My Verizon shows no charge for this bill for MHS. I have not received any notice of an update, so there has been nothing to reject, but I plan to upgrade as soon as it's offered. In the meantime, I've saved $15, and I'll continue to enjoy my free hotspot until I get offered the update.

17. TheDogsCar

TheDogsCar Newbie
    None

Mar 17, 2011
    NYC
    This morning, my Software Update notice no longer offered 'Defer' ... so that simplifies my options. Now just 'OK' and 'Reject'

I am still hitting 'Home', and making it go away ... but would like any feedback on those who hit 'Reject' (i.e. did that stop the notices?)

18. pat3332

None

May 1, 2011
    Oklahoma City
    Another one of those interesting update situations. I'm reading some who say they're given no choice and the update is pushed to them regardless and some who are still able to decline it. For those who are grandfathered in to the unlimited hotspot, I'm guessing you'll get that option once you update regardless of how long you put it off, but I'm wondering if there is a time limit on how long you have to accept the $30.00 unlimited plan.

I had the same problem with the Verizon tech's when I was asking about the $30.00 unlimited plan and decided that either they don't have a clue because Verizon doesn't communicate with them any better than they do with us, or they had been told to try to get people onto the tiered plan. I finally ended up going to the Verizon store to get it taken care of. I decided I'd rather just turn on the $30.00 unlimited plan than take the chance of losing it since I don't plan on using a tethering app.

19. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    I think it would be great if VZW decided after say a month since the update was pushed they pulled the $30 unlimted hotspot plan so all of you guys who think you are getting one over on VZW will be forced to root or pay per GB for hotspot.

If you had not been offered the update then I would think otherwise but you have had it pushed to you and I am sure VZW can see that.

20. TheDogsCar

TheDogsCar Newbie
    None

Mar 17, 2011
    NYC
    I think it would be great if Verizon never charges us for it :D

21. cigar3tte

cigar3tte Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 4, 2009
    I think you guys will probably get away with it as long as the usage doesn't become abusive.

22. CegAbq

CegAbq Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 15, 2009
    Albuquerque
    Haven't updated (the update hasn't even been available to me until this past Saturday; I've been rejecting the update); finally got my bill today for the time between 6/26 & 7/25. I used the MHS one day during that time period & there is no extra billed amount for that use.

23. chavo60

chavo60 Newbie
    None

Apr 21, 2011
    Ive been using hot spot on occassion. I stopped by a verizon store Monday to get my wife's tbolt exchanged (her LED lights went out). While I was at it I asked the rep to see if I had been charged for any hot spot. He checked the latest billing cycle and said NO.

I havent updated yet and don't plan to.

24. trapperjohn

trapperjohn Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Male

Now just curious anyone surprised that a Verizon rep was clueless on this?
    I definitely agree that if you call and do not get the correct answer call back.
    Curious can a person call and get right to a loyalty rep?
    Thanks,
    Bryan

25. pat3332

None

May 1, 2011
    Oklahoma City
    Not surprised at all. Every rep I got on the phone told me there was no unlimited hotspot and tried to sell me the $29.95/2Gb plan. I finally went to my Verizon store and the reps there signed me up for the $30.00 unlimited hotspot and printed me off a hardcopy verification.

I know the different tiers of technical support, but what's the difference in a regular rep and a loyalty rep. That's new to me.