• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

IK5 - latest official firmware is out on NPC for Italy!

Hi

I have the impression that GPS works much better now with IK5. Anyone noticed that as well?

Chris

Yeah - I found that when I moved to IK4 though. I've not tried IK5. When I'm outdoors it almost always works in under a second! On II5/galaxo, it used to have a bug where it'd say I was in Coventry for a few minutes at a time, even though I was in Oxford. That seems to have gone now, which is nice.

Upvote 0
Done it!
Confirmed: those CSC apps are GONE. YESSS! :)

Indeed, with this fw everything feels snapier and more important most of the bugs were fixed (most annoying one was not being able to user menu/dial/homescreen buttons from time to time - 50% of the time actually).

BUT: dialpad during calls still NOT working - very, very annoying!!!
try to switch languages if you found it doesn't works, it will works fine after switch languages, I am using HK firmware and found this bug as well...:mad:

Upvote 0
Just a little update on how good is IK5. I had a few spontaneous reboots when the phone was attempting to connect to my home wi-fi.

I've had them with stock ROM's (ii4 and ii5) and with GalaxHero.

Usually if I've got wifi already enabled and it's connected to an access point, if I then use wifi scanner app to scan for other networks it will reboot.

Upvote 0
try to switch languages if you found it doesn't works, it will works fine after switch languages, I am using HK firmware and found this bug as well...:mad:

Nope, still not working.

Indeed, with this fw everything feels snapier and more important most of the bugs were fixed (most annoying one was not being able to user menu/dial/homescreen buttons from time to time - 50% of the time actually).

UPDATE: homescreen/menu/dial stopped working again!!! :((
An reboot does not fix it and not even a factory reset. They will start working from time to time (at least this was the behavior with old II5 fw).

Is there anyone which had this problem and after flashing to galaxo got rid of it? I'm thinking to make the switch if this will be fixed!

Upvote 0
Just flashed from IK4 to IK5. I noticed actual improvements: the g-sensors respond better now.

:) Dyno reports about 60 ms data rate, IK4 had 120 ms
:p games like Labyrinth and Armadillo Roll are way more playable
:thinking: Mapdroyd still lags too much in compass mode, but at least it gets the orientation right

Definitely recommended if you care about the sensors.

Upvote 0
Just flashed from IK4 to IK5. I noticed actual improvements: the g-sensors respond better now.

:thinking: Mapdroyd still lags too much in compass mode, but at least it gets the orientation right

That is a great news. It seems we got Samsung to read this forum, because we did tests with IK4 and complained. Hi guys, how's Eclair going?

Upvote 0

Would this all be handled by the sensors.samsung.so file does anyone know? If so could someone provide a copy of the IK5 version of the file for me to try on my GalaxHero?

Upvote 0
Would this all be handled by the sensors.samsung.so file does anyone know? If so could someone provide a copy of the IK5 version of the file for me to try on my GalaxHero?

I just tried replacing the sensors.samsung.so from GalaxHero with the one from IK5 .. the latest aDyno reports ~200ms, no change between GalaxHero and IK5 (weird, the older version of aDyno was reporting ~120ms)

GPS refresh rate is still the sodding 1Hz (1 second) .. though this is somehow set by the API(?) .. logcat: "lib_locapi D loc_eng_set_fix_frequency, client = 1, interval = 1 s"

Upvote 0
Nope, still not working.

UPDATE: homescreen/menu/dial stopped working again!!! :((
An reboot does not fix it and not even a factory reset. They will start working from time to time (at least this was the behavior with old II5 fw).

Is there anyone which had this problem and after flashing to galaxo got rid of it? I'm thinking to make the switch if this will be fixed!
have you installed any 3rd party IME on your Galaxy? I found the problem Dialpad not work during call because of HTC Chinese IME, hope this will helps you resolve your problem ;)

Upvote 0
What "IME" means?

These are my apps:
- sticky notes
- beamreader
- google translate
- linda file manager
- exflashlight
- evernote
- adv. task killer
- battery widget (mippin.com)
- compass
- connectbot
- gpstracker
- the weather channel
- backgammon lite
- locale (not configured yet)
- andFTP
- weather widget (android apps)
- fring
- bubble
- depth of field calculator
- google sky map
- 2g-3g onoff (curvefish)
- bluetooth onoff (curvefish)
- gps onoff (curvefish)
- wifi onoff (curvefish)

Usually I kill all apps that don't need to be turned on 24/7 (all but those from "ignore list") to keep my phone fast (fast for a samsung phone that is). So if the problem is one of the 3rd party applications must be one of those "allways on" but my buttons works from time to time with those apps running.

P.S. Right now my buttons work again, but they did not work yesterday.

Upvote 0
I flashed IK5 to my phone, but I immediately regretted it. The lock/unlock button seemed to give me more trouble than with my previous firmware, I5. And my phone restarted itself a few times the two days I kept IK5, which had never happened to my phone before. Thankfully mustymod started updating his 2.0, so I switched to that. Haven't looked back

Upvote 0
Just switched from GalaxHero rom to IK5. I notice that I skipped a few firmwares cause this is absolutely a big step forward in terms of speed and battery usage. Especially battery usage I am impressed by, cause the phone lasts potential a full day longer then on Galaxhero. I am not encountering the problems as described in the post of briany, which I did with other previous firmwares (never really checked out stock I5 though since I just used it to flash Drakaz' rom). So far I will keep IK5 running until a workable 2.0 is released by whomever...

Upvote 0
hi everyone,
I tested K5 for a few days after I3 and I regretted it.

Here is the critical bug:
a) if you receive no calls/messages, you will probably not have this bug and you won't have any issues about battery performance.
b) after receiving a call/message (right now, I don't actually know which one is the cause), phone CAN'T SLEEP!

observing with Spare Parts, you will notice that phone will again work normally after you reboot.

and again, after you receive a call/message (it doesn't matter if it's a missed call) phone will again be unable to sleep.

K5 is defective.

I'm using K4 now and there is no bug. I3, I5, I8 didn't have this bug so I think that previous firmwares don't have this bug.

it's introduced in K5.

Upvote 0
I had a problem with the phone not sleeping during the test I did, but I had put it down to a game I had installed and had to reboot to fix aswell. Will try and reproduce your problem and see what happens, but I agree there might be a bug in IK5, allthough have been using it for a while now and have not noticed any other major problems

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones