1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General I'll never knowingly purchase another ASUS product.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ultraspontane, Dec 21, 2013.

1. mmoy

mmoy Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 16, 2012
    Male
    Software Engineer
    NH
    My son got the Nexus 4 this past summer and then read about the glass problems that they had with earlier models. We did a lot of research and found that it may have been a problem with some models. He's had no problems with his phone and uses it all the time - though I think that he'd like the Nexus 5 out now. I ought a refurb Dell computer in 2008 really cheap. Last March it started BSOD a lot. Spent four hours working on it two days ago and found driver, OS update and hardware problems. I fixed the driver and OS update problems and worked around the hardware problems (two DIMM slots went bad and at least 1 DIMM module was flaky) and it's a great system now. So there are a few lemons out there - this stuff is made by people and people make mistakes from time to time.

Advertisement

2. relic1138

relic1138 Member
    None

Mar 23, 2014
    They did a pretty good job with the Nexus 10 but I think LG would do a better job when it comes to the 7"or supposed 8".

3. RonSH

RonSH Member
    None

Sep 30, 2013
    Male
    Retired
    Norway
    I originally purchased a Samsung Tab 3. It was so slow, blocky, often froze, so I replaced it with the N7 2nd gen. Glad I did.

4. relic1138

relic1138 Member
    None

Mar 23, 2014
    Thank you, I thought I was going crazy, I too bought a Tab 3 tablet, the 10.1 version and it was hands down the worst piece of junk I have ever used. The thing was so laggy I thought mine was broken but after talking with a few people who had and returned one it turned out that all of them are plagued with the same slower than molasses being poured on a cold winters day absence of speed affliction mine was. Then I decided to try a Tab 3 8 do to the glowing reviews it received by the people over in Tab 3 forums. They were using statements like, “it’s the best tablet ever and extremely quick”. This time though I wasn't just going to blindly purchase the Tab 3 8 like I did with the Tab 3 10.1. So I went to my favorite local computer store and bought four 8” tablets that I thought were the best to take home and test, I bought the Tab 3 8, LG G Pad 8.3, KIndle 8.9 HDX and the new HP Pro 8. I chose a store to whom I know the customer service manager very well and since my company buys a lot of stock from them he allowed me to try these tablets with the full notion that I would be returning three of them after I found the one I liked.

I went into this with a very opened mind but the Tab 3 8 turned out to be a very mediocre tablet, it wasn't that it was a bad tablet it just had a complete lack of anything that stood out spec wise, it was so just so, well, below average. That and they paired it with a three year old Exynos processor from 2011. The modern Qualcomm SnapDragon's and Nvidia Tegra 4 Chips found in the other three tablets I got were not only faster but completely wiped the floor with the Tab 3. I know benchmark scores only give us a broad view of the actual speed for a tablet but just to give you an idea of how much faster the others were, The Kindle with it’s much newer SnapDragon 800 CPU turned out a score of more than 20,000, the Tab 3 under 4,400, just wow. I bought all four tablets for around the same money, so it wasn't like I chose a premium tablet just to blow the doors off of the Tab 3. All four were in the 300 to 350 CHF (I live in Switzerland but the exchange rate is pretty comparable) price range, with LG G Pad 8.3 at the bottom and the Kindle 8.9 HDX at the top, yep, the Tab 3 8 wasn't even the least epensive one. It wasn't just the speed either that was better on the other three but the high resolution screens ranging from a really cool 4:3 aspect ratio of 1600 x 1200 to the insanely bitchin looking 2560 x 1600, the Tab 3 still being stuck in 2011 with it's 1280 x 800 resolution, what year is this again. All of them had 2GB of memory, better build quality and this one really got me Gorilla Glass, the Tab 3 doesn't have Gorilla Glass, now Samsung claims that they have their own special coating but I can tell you with the utmost certainty, it doesn't do jack shitt to assist against the prevention of scratches. I know this because I managed to scratch the Tab 3 8 after only 2 hours of use, I was even extra extremely careful with these devices as they weren't meant to be kept. I had stacked the HP Pro 8 on top of the Tab 3 8, nothing bad. Now some of the people over in the forums claim that they've had their Tab 3 for more than 8 months without so much as a scratch on it, typical my device is the best and invincible BS and in no way the truth unless they kept it in a drawer for the last 8 months. Well the Samsung support forums paint a gloomier picture and since the store where I bought these tablets from only keep their tablet demos on the shelf for no more than a month to minimize the damage being done to them so they can be resold. My friend the customer service manager told me, after I apologized for scratching the unit upon happily returning it, he told me not to worry about it that it’s a common problem with the tablet, he continued by also adding that they have to severely mark the price down of the demo Tab 8’s do to the abnormally scratched condition they're in when they get repackaged. Sometimes it’s so bad that the repair center has to install a new screen into it. Thank goodness the screen only costs them 25 CHF to replace, geesh, how cheap are these things to make. The Crazy thing about it is these tablets are secured to one location in the store and sit on top of a carpet like material, so it’s not like their being taken around Europe on some horny teens back-backing excursion.

I finally settled on the insanely fantastic Kindle 8.9 HDX, it’s so good that I also returned my Nexus 10 and used the extra money to purchase the LTE 4G, 64G model. I am extremely happy with my purchase. I don’t understand people who buy the Samsung Tab 3 7”, not when you can get a Dell Venue 7 with a new Intel Atom Z2560 (same processor as the Tab 3 10.1), 2GB of RAM, 16GB of storage, 1280 x 800 resolution and better build quality for the exact same price. For just 30 dollars more you can get the Dell Venue 8 with the Intel Atom Z2580 (which now makes it faster than the Tab 3 10.1), 2GB of RAM, 32GB of storage, 1280 x 800 and Miracast) For just 50 dollars more you can get either a HP Extreme 7 or the EVGA Note 7 that has a super fast Nvidia Tegra 4 chip, 1GB of RAM, 16GB of storage, 1280 x 800 resolution, built in micro HDMI out port (perfect for connecting the tablet to a TV, then pairing a bluetooth Gamepad controlled for one bitching gaming console), active digitizer pen (included), with exceptional build quality or my favorite choice out of the bunch, a Kindle 7 HDX with the even faster Qualcomm SnapDragon 800 CPU, 2GB of RAM, 16GB of storage, 1920 x 1200 resolution, Miracast, with the best build quality I have ever seen on any other tablet except for it’s big brother the Kindle 8.9 HDX. Then finally your Nexus 7v2, also priced at a poultry 200.00, Snapdragon S4 Pro, 2GB RAM, 16GB (32GB option is so inexpensive though that I recommend just getting that one), 1080P resolution, and the best part it's a Nexus device os updates will not only come in fashionable manner but unlike Samsung, Google doesn't abandon their products after just a year, so you can be assured that you will get updates till at least 2016.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, I think I just like to hear myself think, huh.

5. warrenhottie

warrenhottie Lurker
    None

Mar 26, 2014
    Guess because the poster Ultraspontapne gave it a General tag that it was just a thread to bash Asus Nexus 7 both generations??? Or what is it? It clearly wasn't for support because he was far from being specific on what the thing is to make the touchscreen horrible to be unusable?!

Also the rest of the posters most of them did not even talk about the Nexus 7 touchscreen at all being horrible or did I miss the point by reading the directions before starting unlike otherably d
    I'd but do not remember the thread topic.

Granted, I made the mistake of buying a refurbished gen 2012 Asus 7 from the biggest brick retailer online and had some of the problems posted by others plus a bunch more including a non responsive touchscreen. So since being in the 15 day window of return, I was lucky to get the new generation brand new in the box. But I started off and my touchscreen seemed very slow and unresponsive.Still don't know if this was the posters problem.Anyhow, I turned not to Asus but TO GOOGLE since it is a Google tablet and they back and have support that is so helpful and undescribable I cried and thanked the lady where she had me go into settings and turn off the Talk Back setting in Accessibility that is turned on by said manufacturer by default and expected to by Google specs.Well ,I tell you that made a world of difference in the responsiveness in the speed and response of both the touch screen with the integrated keyboard.
    So, I suggest instead of looking to bash the company, look for solutions under Support here or through Google first and you just might find the nicest support anywhere in tabletville.Also, do you have KitKat installed.Just wondering as that makes a super amount of difference too but sadly the post threader was not at all specific nor did he ask or help. And that is what is wrong with the USA together is just bash everything else instead of working together and seek help and conciliatory gestures.;)

6. relic1138

relic1138 Member
    None

Mar 23, 2014
    It was just someone bitching about his experience with his lemony tablet. Sometimes we need to blow some steam off and these forums provide a nice place to do so. Let him go. I always recommend people buying from a local dealer anyway, so if you have any problems you can just bring it back to them. I also always buy any extra protection these stores provide. Most of the time, I just get a new device instead of them trying to fuss around with repairing it. Also a reason why I would never buy a crappy, cheap tablet directly from the manufacture, no support. You think Samsung is rushing to help someone with a Tab 3 7" when they have problems, no way, your going back to the end of the line.

7. Rafael

Rafael Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 13, 2009
    Self employed
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I was dumb enough that I did not check to see who made the Nexus 7 2013 when I purchased it to replace the worst tablet ever made......an Asus Transformer Prime (TF201). That was the worst POS ever made!....and then some.

Had I known I would have skipped the Nexus 7.

My N7 runs pretty good...but has poor GPS reception and the touch screen gets a little weak at times. The TF201 was known for non-functional GPS receiver....looks like they went from 0% to 50% GPS function....so I guess one could say they are progressing. :)

What a joke Asus is in the tablet market! They should not be making anything with GPS, or a touchscreen.

8. doniago

doniago Android Enthusiast

Sep 17, 2010
    Male
    Finance
    Burlington, VT
    I've got no complaints about my N7 and still use my Transformer TF101 on occasion. (shrug)

9. relic1138

relic1138 Member
    None

Mar 23, 2014
    That's a real shame about your Nexus 7 v2 and TF201. I still have my Eee Pad SL101, and it is still one of the best tablets I have ever owned. I don't use it as much anymore since I got my Nokia 2520 with matching keyboard case but for a long while because of it's slide out keyboard I used it everyday. I write a lot of technical and how to manuals and The Eee Pad with it's slide out keyboard is a fantastic little word processor. I think I have typed over 6,000 pages of text with that thing. I never use the GPS function on my tablets, I also have a Nokia 1520 (I like using the same company when it comes to phones and tablets so I know for sure they will be able to communicate properly with each other), which is probably the best phablet on the market right now, Nokia Maps is a fantastic turn by turn GPS mapping app, easily beating Google's and Apples latest attempts.

I don't understand why people compromise so much with their gadgets. I know for a lot money is an issue but I would rather wait, save up some more and buy something that I know I will enjoy a lot more and utilize to the max.

In the case of the Nexus 7 v2 though people should know that their are better options out there for the same money. Like the EVGA Note 7 with it's digitized pen and HDMI out port, HP Extreme 7 (same exact specs as the EVGA) or my personal favorite the Kindle 7 HDX with it's amazing hardware. The Kindle is literally twice as fast as the Nexus 7 v2 do to it's mind boggling fast Qualcomm Snapdagon 800 (same CPU found in my Nokia 2520 and it's able to push Windows 8.1 with a 1080P incredible smoothly), 2GB RAM, Miracast which I just love, especially when paired with the Netgear Push2TV and the best part, the build quality is superb (I'm running out of adjectives for this thing). FireOS, Amazons attempt at Android is actually very cool especially when rooted and stripped of all of the ads. Something that's as easy as installing a APK or just replace the entire system with a AOSP ROM like CM 10.1 also very easy to install.

Sorry I didn't mean to make this into a commercial for Kindle, my point is stop compromising and buy something better. There is nothing wrong with buying something previously owned from eBay. You can find some really amazing deals.

10. Madbat

Madbat Android Expert
    None

Feb 9, 2012
    Male
    a/c and heating
    New Orleans
    I love my nexus 7 v2. I tried the extreme 7 and evga note 7, 1gb of ram and 1280

11. relic1138

relic1138 Member
    None

Mar 23, 2014
    I think your wife's Kindle might have a runaway process, I have never seen any lag, quite the contrary, it's the first tablet I have ever had that didn't have any and that even was before I rooted it and installed a vanilla AOSP ROM. If there was any lag than every single site that has reviewed the Kindle 7 or 8.9 HDX wouldn't have given it 4.5 - 5 stars or even called them one of the best tablets on the market today. THe Qualcomm 800 CPU is twice as fast as the S4 Pro found in the Nexus so their is defiantly something going on in the background, you really need to check out the Task Manager to see what's going on their or simply revert to an all Android experience by installing, "HDX Utility" from XDA. YOu will still be able to use the Amazon services if you so desire. It's as simple as side loading an app then clicking update, northing like what you have to do with other tablets if you want to Root or modify the system.

Where did you try the EVGA Note 7 as no on has them on display, you have to buy them direct from Newegg or TabletMAxx for the new LTE model (which for $300 with phone capabilities makes for one heck of a tablet). I would really like to know so I could tell people where they too can go and check them out. For an all rounder tablet I always suggest the Nexus but if you are a gamer you cannot do any better than go for the EVGA or HP. The Tegra 4 and built in HDMI/Miracast make for one hell of a fantastic gaming machine in which the Nexus 7 v2 doesn't even come close too. I can turn on 4X MSAA with a game like Dead Trigger at 1080P via my TV with over 30FPS, the Nexus 7 barley got 5FPS with the same setup. Now that the LTE version has been released and you can also use it as a phone it becomes even more attractive even with the 1280 x 800 resolution, which by the way still looks pretty great, the screen is only 7" not 10".

12. Madbat

Madbat Android Expert
    None

Feb 9, 2012
    Male
    a/c and heating
    New Orleans
    My boss's son has the evga note 7. I wasn't impressed. And he hates it. Wasn't tryin to hurt your feelings there bro, but sounds like you should be marketing those devices, lol I'm not one of the die hard nexus fans, just sharing my experience with one. It has miracast as well.
    Her kindle struggles with some big games, and my n7 burns right through the same ones. I know the n7 has an old processor, (same one as nexus 4) it just works. The kindle is great and I mean great as a media machine, but it just doesn't do it for me. No rogue processes ,(not a noob) its just not as quick. I get it, you love your kindle, that's cool. We all have different taste. The good reviews are why I got for her, its a nice machine. She won't let me root it, she only let me root her phone so she could WiFi tether her kindle. "Hands off my kindle" is what I get when I even mention root. Lol.

13. relic1138

relic1138 Member
    None

Mar 23, 2014
    It's not about loving a device, I can care less but I happened to used too own the Nexus v2 and then returned to it because it wasn't fast enough so I bought a Kindle 8.9 HDX. The Kindle is much faster in every single way and it's pushing a higher resolution, not the only one saying it either, check out any Nexus vs. Kindle HDX videos or mainstream gadget site review.. I am running Android CM 10.1, which is vanilla Android. Anyway there has to be something wrong with your Kindle, games are slow, on a Qualcomm 800? Something is completely wrong, there shouldn't be a single task that the Kindle 7 or 8.9 doesn't wipe the floor with the Nexus 7 v2. You should also defiantly install an AOSP Rom on it. it's the same Nexus like Android build.

14. Madbat

Madbat Android Expert
    None

Feb 9, 2012
    Male
    a/c and heating
    New Orleans
    We can split hairs all day, but in the end the n7 and hdx 7 have very similar performance. So I got both.

15. relic1138

relic1138 Member
    None

Mar 23, 2014
    I'm saying they're really not, a simple Quadrant score shows the S4 Pro is at least 4 times slower, 19,924 (Kindle) vs. 4,949 (Nexus). You really should try an AOSP rom, or just strip away the Amazon UI and use the hidden vanilla Android build underneath. Go to XDA and try the HDX Utility -> [TOOL] THE HDX UTILITY v0.7b - xda-developers Don't just except that the Kindle is laggy or even similar performance as the Nexus because it's not, the two should be night and day.

16. Madbat

Madbat Android Expert
    None

Feb 9, 2012
    Male
    a/c and heating
    New Orleans
    Well I can take my Nexus and flash in a new kernel in all kinds of other stuff too. You can tweak one and make it better than the other all day. Out of the box they're pretty close. I know you don't think that it's just that you love your Kindle but its okay we all do that, myself included. We get a new device and we start to like it, and when someone says something negative about it we get a little bit offended, honestly I think it was your comment about not having to settle for the Nexus that made me want to comment. Like someone just said something about our kids. Lol. I've had my nexus a little longer than the kindle, so I'm a little partial to it. If you flash cm 11 on it and one of the faster overclock kernels it becomes a real beast. My wife won't let me mess with her Kindle so I feel a little disconnected from it. But both are running factory stock right now, and I'm telling you they perform almost identical. You can't base everything on quadrants and benchmarks.

17. relic1138

relic1138 Member
    None

Mar 23, 2014
    Your right you can't base everything on a Quadrant score but as their scores are so far apart it should at least tell you that there is indeed still a difference. It's not just Quadrant either, it's every benchmark in the book, the Qualcomm 800 even outperforms the Tegra 4. Installing a similar ROM as the Nexus on the Kindle would give you a better impression of what I'm talking about, in fact the Kindle is so obviously faster that I have no doubt that even you would be in impressed. Although the Amazon Kindle's heavily modified Android version is very resource heavy I still experienced faster multitasking and gameplay none the less.

Look your right we can go back and fourth all day. I like the Nexus 7 but for the same price a person can have a much faster tablet, better build quality, SD Card Reader, 11 - 12 hour of battery vs. 8 - 9, better looking screen (the Kindle is amazing here), faster recharge times, Miracast vs. buying a dongle and a HDMI cable, better design, Gorilla Glass 3 vs. 1(I scratched my Nexus 7 the very first day by just laying my Samsung 8.9 on top of it.) and most importantly reliability. The Nexus 7 v2 forums (especially Asus's) are packed with complaints on hardware failures and many trips in for repair, heck were in a thread about problems, I personally know of 3 people who have had nothing but bad luck with theirs (problems ranging from screen flickering, touch screen not working, random reboots, etc.) and I have talked with a local repair shop who said that the Nexus 7 v2 like it's predecessor is one of the highest in terms of times a tablet is sent in for repair, beating out the Motorola Xoom 2. I'm sure your tablet is fine and you will state as much but spend some time in the Asus forums and you will know what I am talking about.

18. doniago

Sep 17, 2010
    Male
    Finance
    Burlington, VT
    The ASUS forms may or may not be "packed with complaints", but realistically the people with complaints are far more likely to say anything than the people who don't have any.

For instance, my N7 has been problem-free, so I'm not likely to go looking on forums for help.

Rxpert83 likes this.
  19. relic1138

relic1138 Member
    None

Mar 23, 2014
    That's a pretty obvious statement, of course people with complaints are more verbal. You cannot simply ignore these peoples legitimate problems though or even the amount of complaints there are. Especially when there hardware related; touch screen problems, battery, random reboots, etc. The reason why I'm even discussing the problems of the Nexus 7 v2 is just to inform those who are looking for a new tablet.

20. brosko

brosko Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 25, 2012
    It's all about the ratio of complaints to general comments or comments of praise!
    Of course people go to the internet to voice complaints on a certain device. They do that with all devices, not only the n7.
    The Key is to look at the percentage of posts that are a hardware/software related complaint when compared to the overall activity and amount of posts in the forum.

It seems that the n7 has a disproportionately higher number of complaint related posts when compared to the total number of posts.

21. doniago

Sep 17, 2010
    Male
    Finance
    Burlington, VT
    Given that the tablet I already purchased is working just fine? I kind of can simply ignore the complaints. :p

22. doughamilton

doughamilton Newbie
    None

Apr 11, 2014
    Male
    Newfoundland
    I also have a perfectly functioning nexus 7 so I guess I'm lucky too.

23. brosko

brosko Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 25, 2012
    You can ignore them all you want. It's google that shouldn't be ignoring this.

24. ultraspontane

ultraspontane Newbie
    None

Sep 17, 2012
    This thread is still going?

Anyway, here is an update. Both N7's ended up dead. My replacement 1st gen is deader than a doornail, after a failed OTA update. I suspect faulty memory. Out of warranty. Aside from the touchscreen problems, the USB port on the 2nd gen stopped functioning, so I can't charge the 2nd gen without a wireless charger. Not worth it, IMO. So now I've got two shiny rectangular paperweights made by ASUS. Three, if you count the original 1st gen that was exchanged. They've been sitting for a few months now. Not sure what to do with them. Thinking of smearing them with fecal matter and shipping them to ASUS or Google. Have also considered: Running them over with my car, seeing which one flies farther when thrown like a discus, and putting them back in their original packaging and giving them to someone as a gag gift.

I've had the old Samsung N10 for a good bit now, and despite being a bit long in the tooth spec wise, has been reliable and functional. More than I can say about the N7.

My LG N4 that has been carried in my pants pocket every day for over a year, dropped from waist height at least a dozen times, exposed to all kinds of weather, sweat, dirt, grit, grime, still performs flawlessly. Not a single problem besides a few scratches.

N8 is a dumb idea, too. The one thing they got right with the N7 was the form factor. Fits PERFECTLY into your hands. Hopefully it flops and they stop dicking around with fads and throw-away devices. The Nexus brand deserves better.

25. Madbat

Madbat Android Expert
    None

Feb 9, 2012
    Male
    a/c and heating
    New Orleans
    N7 is hit and miss. I have 2, dropped them both and broke the screens. Replaced both myself (pretty easy) and they're fine. But some others have problems. Baught them both used too. Good product good parts, assembled by mediocre company. But mine are both great. So I would still recommend it.