• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I'll pay $50 to everyone if we don't have Froyo (Android 2.2) by the fourth quarter.

I can't believe people think this is going to happen.

Kudos to Johnny Cakes, first of all. Awesome post! I heartily LOL'd. But then it just got sad.

1. He did not state "for the Samsung Moment"
2. He did not state which year
3. He did not state US Currency
4. He did not state it would be working
5. He did not state it would be an official Sprint Release
6. He did not define "everyone"
7. He did not define "we"

That's enough for now. At least I know to whom I can sell this bridge I have now.

Upvote 0
It wouldn't surprise me one bit if we never get another update on the moment version 1. It's their way of making sure we update our phones every couple of years and sign another contract. Who wants to bet that the moment's hardware won't support it?
I'll have to agree with you on this one. I don't think we will see another official update from Sprint for this phone. They will simply start pushing some other phone, i.e. hTc EVO as their Android phone of choice. It's a good phone for me as I'm not trying to replace my laptop & every electronic device I currently own with this phone.

Upvote 0
I have faith that Samsung won't leave us alone in the dark. After all, this phone is only gonna be a year old this year right? I doubt they would cease updates on such a baby phone.

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Tapatalk

Have you ever had a samsung phone before?

I have and they have bailed on every one of them once the newer version comes out. Go look at what happened to the instinct.

Upvote 0
I got really sick of all those threads about when was 2.1 going to be released, this Sprint employee said this, that Sprint employee said that.

So I am going to preempt all that for the Froyo release (Android 2.2) and absolutely guarantee that it will be released before the end of the Fourth Quarter.

If I am wrong, I will pay each of you $50, guaranteed, take it to the bank. So this should preempt all the "when are we gonna get 2.2 threads."

There is no way I am wrong.

The guys at the Sprint store told me that you would pay $75, and include a free kitten. So are you sure its $50?

Upvote 0
Strra really gave the right answer.... wouldn't a lot of us rather have Froyo than $50? If a number of us contributed $20 or $50 dollars per person, it wouldn't take long to scrape together decent bounty together for the first person to release a working port of 2.2 for the moment... but alas we're not that organized. lol.

I'm going to wait a few months to see how far SDX gets with their work, then start negotiating with Sprint about the EVO I suppose...

I do wish someone they listened to would explain to the cell-phone makers of the world that one of the reasons it takes 30 android handsets to compete with 3 or 4 iphone handsets is that you can buy an iphone and plan on it being supported, updated and cool for a few years... yes they do release new versions but they update the old hardware as long as they can... and the updates seem to come out and work across the board...

I hope the new compartmentalization that google keeps talking about means that this will get better, but as long as google has to develop an update, then give it to a half-dozen manufacturers to modify, then pass it on to a half - dozen carriers to tweak(cripple and fill with bloatware) and distribute, they're going to be at a disadvantage. When Iphone users hear that a new OS release is coming out... most of them can celebrate. When android users hear that there's a new release coming out... we mostly start grumbling about how we're probably going to have to buy a new phone to get the features we want...

I know that the strength of android is that you can customize it and put it on lots of varied hardware platforms... and that means that it's designed for hardware manufacturers to modify... but I hope it eventually turns out to have a similar relationship that PCs do with their OS - Google will write the core OS ( like microsoft does with windows, for example) and hardware manufacturers will write drivers for whatever they want to put android on and they'll probably have to compile the binaries for the core OS (though google could probably just release compiled binaries for the most popular smartphone processors...Like Windows - sometimes you'll need to update your driver to work with a major OS upgrade... and like Windows, at some point your hardware will no longer meet the minimum requirements of the OS and you'll have to buy a new phone to upgrade... but this model has worked for PCs for a long time...

Anyway, I'm done wishing. I know the phone companies have a certain business model and we're not going to convince them to change it, but I do appreciate the way Apple has learned that if they support their device and keep adding software updates that they can keep selling basically the same device for years, instead of having to get an entirely new handset to market (actually several - one for each carrier you want to work with) every year or so to convince us to throw away our old one and buy a new one...

Art

Upvote 0
Strra really gave the right answer.... wouldn't a lot of us rather have Froyo than $50? If a number of us contributed $20 or $50 dollars per person, it wouldn't take long to scrape together decent bounty together for the first person to release a working port of 2.2 for the moment... but alas we're not that organized. lol.

I'm going to wait a few months to see how far SDX gets with their work, then start negotiating with Sprint about the EVO I suppose...

I do wish someone they listened to would explain to the cell-phone makers of the world that one of the reasons it takes 30 android handsets to compete with 3 or 4 iphone handsets is that you can buy an iphone and plan on it being supported, updated and cool for a few years... yes they do release new versions but they update the old hardware as long as they can... and the updates seem to come out and work across the board...

I hope the new compartmentalization that google keeps talking about means that this will get better, but as long as google has to develop an update, then give it to a half-dozen manufacturers to modify, then pass it on to a half - dozen carriers to tweak(cripple and fill with bloatware) and distribute, they're going to be at a disadvantage. When Iphone users hear that a new OS release is coming out... most of them can celebrate. When android users hear that there's a new release coming out... we mostly start grumbling about how we're probably going to have to buy a new phone to get the features we want...

I know that the strength of android is that you can customize it and put it on lots of varied hardware platforms... and that means that it's designed for hardware manufacturers to modify... but I hope it eventually turns out to have a similar relationship that PCs do with their OS - Google will write the core OS ( like microsoft does with windows, for example) and hardware manufacturers will write drivers for whatever they want to put android on and they'll probably have to compile the binaries for the core OS (though google could probably just release compiled binaries for the most popular smartphone processors...Like Windows - sometimes you'll need to update your driver to work with a major OS upgrade... and like Windows, at some point your hardware will no longer meet the minimum requirements of the OS and you'll have to buy a new phone to upgrade... but this model has worked for PCs for a long time...

Anyway, I'm done wishing. I know the phone companies have a certain business model and we're not going to convince them to change it, but I do appreciate the way Apple has learned that if they support their device and keep adding software updates that they can keep selling basically the same device for years, instead of having to get an entirely new handset to market (actually several - one for each carrier you want to work with) every year or so to convince us to throw away our old one and buy a new one...

Art

Well said, but I still want flash on my moment....:( screw 50 bucks

Upvote 0
*hand out waiting*
money.gif
money.gif
money.gif
money.gif
money.gif
money.gif
money.gif
money.gif
money.gif
money.gif
money.gif
money.gif
money.gif
money.gif

Upvote 0
Soooo....yeah, I think I'm going to be $50 richer soon. Sadly.

Amusingly enough, I'm giving the EVO a miss and snagging a Moment from Walmart for $44.88 on July 1st. I figure the hacking community will have 2.2 running on this beauty after a while, so I'm not all that worried.

But yeah. I'll be expecting my $50 from ya, Mr Cakes!

Upvote 0
Ahem: As I stated previously: 1. He did not state "for the Samsung Moment" ----So he is correct. It's going to be out by 4th quarter for EVO and up. Point for JohnnyCakes 2. He did not state which year ----It happened this year. Point for JohnnyCakes 3. He did not state US Currency ----Still dunno about this (Australia, Canada, others use $ as their symbol) 4. He did not state it would be working ----Although the EVO and up will be getting a working copy, there is a badly broken copy made for the Moment on SDX-Developers for you to install. Point for JohnnyCakes 5. He did not state it would be an official Sprint Release ----Answser in 4 above. Another group has a mostly working copy for Hero. Point for JohnnyCakes 6. He did not define "everyone" ----Still undefined 7. He did not define "we" ----Still undefined As I see it, he owes nobody any money. He was 100% correct. Kudos, JohnnyCakes!

Upvote 0
Ahem: As I stated previously: 1. He did not state "for the Samsung Moment" ----So he is correct. It's going to be out by 4th quarter for EVO and up. Point for JohnnyCakes 2. He did not state which year ----It happened this year. Point for JohnnyCakes 3. He did not state US Currency ----Still dunno about this (Australia, Canada, others use $ as their symbol) 4. He did not state it would be working ----Although the EVO and up will be getting a working copy, there is a badly broken copy made for the Moment on SDX-Developers for you to install. Point for JohnnyCakes 5. He did not state it would be an official Sprint Release ----Answser in 4 above. Another group has a mostly working copy for Hero. Point for JohnnyCakes 6. He did not define "everyone" ----Still undefined 7. He did not define "we" ----Still undefined As I see it, he owes nobody any money. He was 100% correct. Kudos, JohnnyCakes!

Uhm. This was posted in the Samsung Moment section of the Forums, so its implied that the Moment was the device referred to.

Sooo.....yeah. Johnny still loses. Good work at playing Clinton's lawyer and trying to redefine "is" though!

Upvote 0
1. But it's in the Samsung Moment section.
2. The Moment isn't getting it officially. There's more hope now that Froyo is open source.
3. No he didn't, but $50 is still $50...:D Even if it's monopoly money, it's still coming from his pocket.
4. Don't play that, we all know what he meant by Froyo on the Moment. The Froyo from SDX isn't even completely Froyo as well.
5. Seeing that he mentioned Sprint employees in the first part of his post, it kind of does link to official. And the Moment isn't the Hero, The Hero resembles more phones than what the Moment does.
6. Anyone reading the topic and posting, hence "you". :D
7. Well seeing that it's a topic in the Samsung Moment section, we is in Samsung Moment users.

Just don't be a smart ass.:D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones