• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Illusion powers on only to shut off

ott0

Lurker
Dec 27, 2013
Trying to help a friend and I only have limited info. Boo.

She has an i110 Illusion that will power on, but only to show that it has low power (she said 10% or lower) and then it just goes black. She has to pull the battery in order try to power it back on again.

She's tried a new battery and charger, hasn't done any root work and has tried taking it to a local support center where they did a factory reset with no change.

Thoughts or direction? Any other info that might help you, help me, help her? :p

Charge it with the power off for 24 hours straight. See what happens after that.

10% isn't enough to really power it on - it comes on long enough to show you that it has no power, then shuts off. (Discharge a Lithium Ion battery too far and charging it is dangerous, so internal circuitry in the battery will disconnect it from the contacts, and you can find a safe disposal place for it. Resetting it will cost more than a replacement battery.)

The charger isn't an external power supply - it's a charger. You can't supply enough current through a USB 2.0 connector to power the device, let alone power it and charge the battery at the same time. If she has to have it running 24/7, she needs a second battery and an "out of phone" charger. (There are some good ones sold on Amazon.)

Upvote 0
Sorry about that. Apparently I thought it instead of typing it...

She tried leaving it connected to the charger for a full day, both with the old battery and the new battery and with each of the different chargers with no change. It powers on, shows low battery and then just black. Again, has to pull the battery to get any further reaction from the phone.

Thanks for the fast reply though!

Upvote 0
I would say the USB controller is toast in the device and a new device is in her future.

As for not being able to run off a wall charger, some low power devices can, but then you may as well just use a corded phone. As for powering + charging, unless you're using a junky charger, this is false under normal use (I have outpaced a computer USB charge under normal use on other devices).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones