• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I'm a little irate with Sprint right now (Dust under Screen)

Oh, btw: I don't think a sleeve, screen protector, holster, or any other protection device will do jack to keep the dust out unless it covers every opening on the phone (otterbox?). Why?

Screen protectors do not protect the area the dust gets in from. Take the phone apart and you'll see what I mean. The touchscreen is GLUED to the top half of the outer case.

I've seen pictures and reports of dust at the bottom by the keys, the top left and the top right (mine always started on the top right). The dust is coming in somewhere besides the front panel. It's gotta be the speaker grill, or the headphone jack, or somewhere along the bottom of the keys, but with that touchpad glued to the top case, I can't believe dust would get in there.

For the record, my last two wore an Innocase rubberized shell and screen protector--still got the dust.

Upvote 0
LOL! serves you right for being an anal nitpicker!

it is just a phone. that is all. this is not a child, or an ancient treasure.

phones get scratched, dented, dinged, chipped paint, and dust in crevases. yes even dust under the phone. JUST LIKE ANY OTHER OBJECT IN THE UNIVERSE.

this is not a mystical talisman that never gets hurt, harmed, or dirty.

this serves you right. your uppance has come. stop being a dildo about your phone and treat it as such. a phone. stop obsessing about it. its really REALLY annoying.

Where's the "no thanks" button? If you just want to be an ass and anonymously rip on people over the internet to help your self esteem find another forum. It's nice to be important but important to be nice, that goes for all hostile posts in this thread. Yes it is just forum on the internet but that doesn't mean we all can't be civil with each other.

Upvote 0
sprint pulled the same crap on me with my pre. i wasn't able to hear people on phone calls, and they weren't able to hear me. took it into a sprint store, and they had no idea what was wrong with it. i had had the phone for 35 days (barely over the 30 day period they allow for exchanges for new phones), so their solution, instead of looking into fixing it or what could be causing that problem, was to give me a refurb phone. the first one they give me had a cracked screen. second, the slider was way too loose. and the 3rd, i can't even begin to name all of the problems.

i tried to tell them that this was their fault b/c their store was not educated on the issue with my phone (all that was wrong was it was stuck in headset mode). instead, they take the lazy route and give the refurb. i don't care if people say the refurbs are good phones - they are not. i had nothing but problems with them. i'd keep bitching to sprint, but i honestly doubt it gets you anywhere. all they did for me was reset my eligibility, and i had to buy another phone - the hero (which i love).

good luck with whatever route you take.

Upvote 0
Well I took the refurb back to Sprint yesterday and told them my list of complaints with it. He said he wanted to test it. He took it to the back and about 20 minutes late the guy said my phone was "FUBAR" (F'd up beyond all repair).

They gave me a brand new one. Box, chargers etc but conveniently took the new SD card out and gave me my old one. I was hoping I'd have an extra card but I guess not. Not a big deal though. The new phone is way better than the refurb and runs like my original one did. I'm much happier now.

Upvote 0

phones get scratched, dented, dinged, chipped paint, and dust in crevases. yes even dust under the phone. JUST LIKE ANY OTHER OBJECT IN THE UNIVERSE.

this serves you right. your uppance has come. stop being a dildo about your phone and treat it as such. a phone. stop obsessing about it. its really REALLY annoying.

Dust under the screen is not a problem I have, but I agree it is a manufacturers defect and as such eligible for warranty repair. To insinuate that it is the op's problem for taking it in to be serviced is childish and inflammatory. To go so far as insults only makes you look small.

Upvote 0
Congrats on getting it replaced. I've had my hero for 3 months now and the only place i have a dust problem is around the camera lense.

The few times I've taken the back cover off I have noticed dust gathering around the bottom and near the speaker grill. Goto Radioshack and buy these microfiber clothes made by some company called carson...they cost 99 cents. I used that to clean out the dust and tried to remove as much of it thats around the outer camera lense (lense on the back cover). My friend also told me to use a Qtip in that area and it works pretty well.

JMXP is right tho...you have to be really careful if you decide to do it yourself. Its like painting a car.

Upvote 0
Got my phone back from HTC yesterday and I'm so far I am extremely impressed and satisfied with the results. First of all it was only a one week turnaround time from the time UPS picked up my phone till I was unpacking my phone at home yesterday. HTC told me to expect 3-7 business days from the date they received the phone for it to make ti back to me. So +1 to HTC for that. As far as the phone goes not a speck of dust or smudge under the screen. I do notice that the front cover and/or key pad (menu, search etc.) has been replaced and there is a much tighter seal between the screen and the phone itself. Hopefully the dust will stay out and this was truly a permanent fix by HTC. I will be sure to post and update if my phone ends up with dust again, but I got my fingers crossed that HTC got it right this time and I can finally enjoy my phone again!!

Upvote 0
Dust under the screen is not a problem I have, but I agree it is a manufacturers defect and as such eligible for warranty repair. To insinuate that it is the op's problem for taking it in to be serviced is childish and inflammatory. To go so far as insults only makes you look small.

The constant whining "Dust" threads are quit annoying. How many more do we need? These type of conversations ruin this forum for people who want to have legit discussions about the Hero.

IMO, if you start another WORTHLESS "Dust" thread you deserve getting slammed. Ban me if you like for speaking my opinion as I visit less often because of threads like these.

Upvote 0
The constant whining "Dust" threads are quit annoying. How many more do we need? These type of conversations ruin this forum for people who want to have legit discussions about the Hero.

IMO, if you start another WORTHLESS "Dust" thread you deserve getting slammed. Ban me if you like for speaking my opinion as I visit less often because of threads like these.

Then why not just stay out of them instead of trying to stir the pot?? Funny how you are whining about people whining about dust......

Upvote 0
Then why not just stay out of them instead of trying to stir the pot?? Funny how you are whining about people whining about dust......

Stir the pot, whining? On the contrary, just pointing out that this forum already has dozens of similiar threads.

So now your going to come in here and tell me what to post? Why are you whining about me whining about people whining on this forum?

Upvote 0
This may be have already been mentioned, but I was looking into the HTC hero dust issues with HTC and I got this email reply....

Dear Russell,

We understand the importance of having all the information on our phones. We have resolved the dust under the screen issue on the Sprint Hero. However, if you purchase a Sprint Hero and there becomes dust under the screen, then this phone did not receive the fix and you will have to contact the Sprint Repair department (or visit a Sprint Service & Repair Center) so the fix can be applied to the phone.

Thank you for contacting HTC. In order to help improve our service, we would like to invite you to take our Customer Satisfaction Survey located at HTC Online Survey.

Jonathan
HTC Technical Support

Hopefully this is true, although from reading other's experiences it sounds like they are slowly getting it right.

Upvote 0
now all you all b!#ching is going to make the cry baby moderator mad and you all are going to get dinged and a PM about your so called abuse. ( I have ) I own and run 3 message boards and have many moderators and never once have I seen one of mine act like a Nazi Regime and threaten to ban everyone for opinions and fun hearted trash talking like on here.

Upvote 0
Sometimes referbs are better than new. I replaced my Instinct once due to water damage. The refurb looked like new and actually worked better and faster. Maybe there's a little hands on fine tuning on them. I have no problem with refurbs. TC
Except the refurb given to me was worse. Lagged something terrible with almost everything I did. Mine was great other than the dust.

Sprint tested it and sure enough it failed their tests and I was given a brand new one.

Upvote 0
so today I took my screen protector off, and I see dust on the top right corner! I've had the phone for a month and a half.... I had my htc touch since they came out and no dust issues to date! ! I hope they are in fact replacing the defective phones
According to my Sprint store Sprint is no longer supposed to "fix" them. Only replace them if you have TEP. Otherwise you're SOL.

Upvote 0
Sprint's taking a lot of heat, heh. I work in a Service and Repair Center for Sprint.

1. I haven't seen a single person come in with Dust under the screen problem. and I live in the desert.
2. We haven't received any word from HTC or our Sprint SAR about a permanent fix to this problem, most likely because we don't have any complaints?
3. Alot of rumblings about Service and Repair Reps taking the lazy route and just replacing Palm Pres.. Fact of the matter is, if their is ANY suspected hardware malfunction where a Hard/Factory Reset will not fix the problem, we have to Swap it out. Not even allowed to open those devices. I was in trouble once because I took a power button off and replaced the little sticker under it instead of ordering the customer a refurbed device.... That's how anal Palm is about their new devices being opened up.

Upvote 0

What an ridiculous comment. For some who didn't have an upgrade, they paid almost 600 dollars for this phone. Now, my FIRST hero had a huge amount of dust under the screen on day 2. I have owned probably about 20 phones in my life, and NOT ONE (besides the curve after about a year and a half) had dust under the screen. I'm sorry but if I'm paying 600 dollars for a piece of equipment it should be sealed properly for christ sake. We arn't talking about "oh I've had the phone a year and its starting to wear down" no, we are saying 2 days after brand new. Your analogies my friend are whats annoying

Upvote 0

And if I could comment on this as well. Some advice for you as well as many others who have visited this thread. The way forums work is this. You log in. There are recent topics. If you would like to read them then take these steps.. 1) Click on the topic and read. If you would not like to read the topic then take these steps.. 1) Don't click the topic, maybe keep scrolling down the list. I mean cmon. You came to this thread for the sole purpose of griping about it. If they are that annoying, and awful then skip it dude, because in all honesty your reply was just as worthless if not more than the thread itself. It just baffles me that people feel its necessary to tell people what to and what not to post on a public forum.

Upvote 0
Frankly the only reason I come to this forum is for the entertainment value. It's virtually impossible to get any useful information from here because of all the fodder.

FWIW, the OP deserves to get slammed. Not only does dust under the screen have no effect on the usability of the phone but the OP lied to us. In the beginning, he states he wasn't trying to get something for nothing and then later complains about not getting a free sd card when he swapped his phone.

Upvote 0
Frankly the only reason I come to this forum is for the entertainment value. It's virtually impossible to get any useful information from here because of all the fodder.

FWIW, the OP deserves to get slammed. Not only does dust under the screen have no effect on the usability of the phone but the OP lied to us. In the beginning, he states he wasn't trying to get something for nothing and then later complains about not getting a free sd card when he swapped his phone.

How can dust NOT affect useability? It's a screen used to view things. If something is obstructing that view I'd say there is a problem. My Hero has dust under the screen and in daylight it is hard to read or see what's behind it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones