1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Im a Noob How to Install 2.3??

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by TableTop97, May 31, 2011.

1. TableTop97

TableTop97 Newbie
    None

May 31, 2011
    By the way this is my first topic and well i literally signed up about 5 mins ago so, here goes....

Ok hi guys. now basically ive got a GT540 which when i purchased it, it had android 1.6.... I then officially upgraded to 2.1. I now want to upgrade to 2.3 but i have no clue how, and yes i no theres tons of topics on how to do it, but... i just dont understand any of it, i mean i dont even know what the hell a ROM is or what clockworking is....
    Id really appreciate it (and i mean really!) if someone could tell me exactley what to do in a easy to read way with no big boy words, i need words for a complete and utter noob like myself [​IMG]
    Also i no i need to make a back up of 2.1 is that right??? Could someone be so kind to tell me how to do that aswell lol [​IMG]

Thanks you so much in advance even though this topic will probably be full with just people flaming me and such [​IMG]

Advertisement

2. Nirob

Nirob Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 13, 2010
    Planet Earth
    Hi!!! Welcome to Android Forums!! :D

This thread is about CyanogenMod 7(Android 2.3)...

Follow the instructions in "Instructions to install ROM with Fastboot:" & then "Instructions to install CyanogenMod:".. I prefer the manual way... Just post here, what you don't understand & we'll try to explain... It's quite hard to write everything down in detail...

ROM, literally it stands for Read Only Memory, normally means phone's internal memory where your firmware/apps are stored. But, in this case, It means firmware... Clockwork is a ROM Manager, normally written as "Recovery" - is a custom recovery for Android that allows you to perform several advanced recovery, restoration, installation and maintenance operations on your Android device... Some devices have stock recovery out-of-the-box & some don't(like ours)... So, we have to use custom recovery...

If these things are quite hard for you to understand, I recommend you spend more time with your Device & browser the forum before you attempt to flash...

Enjoy Android! :D

TableTop97 likes this.
  3. TableTop97

TableTop97 Newbie
    None

May 31, 2011
    Thanks alot... AGAIN!! I'm gonna try upgrading to 2.3 later... Few questions though , if it's not bother...

1. If I upgrade to 2.3 will some bits of the text like on the UI and some apps be Russian? I seen some pictures of 2.3 on gt540 and some of it was Russian...

2. Does the market work pretty much perfectly on 2.3 for gt540??? - and if it does can I get different apps that are not available on, 2.1 for example the updated youtube...

4. Nirob

Nirob Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 13, 2010
    Planet Earth
    Just after update it'll be Russian... You'll have to change the default language to English (Settings>5th option from the bottom, the icon is an A in a square>First Option>English) & reboot the phone... Everything will be English, even the apps... The profile names (Settings>Profile) may remain Russian..

Market works quite perfectly, sometimes bugs may show up... Clearing the Data & Cache fixes it... You'll get the latest version of Google Apps, if any apps doesn't show up in your region, you can use "Market Enabler"(Available in Market)...

Hope I helped! :D Don't hesitate to ask! :)

5. TableTop97

TableTop97 Newbie
    None

May 31, 2011
    Thank you so much! Just like to say that I've rooted my phone with the instructions in your other thread, I think it's called z4root? (I can't look cuz I'm writing this on my phone:)) and I've now got the superuser icon. I read through the thread and i learned that to remove unwanted apps that came on the phone like sims 3 I would have to install titanium backup. I've now installed that and im about to uninstall some unwanted apps.
    Can I just ask how to install the latest version of youtube (and any other apps)
    Thanks in advance Nirob!! :)

6. Nirob

Nirob Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 13, 2010
    Planet Earth
    Use Market Enabler & Update via Market...

TableTop97 likes this.
  7. TableTop97

TableTop97 Newbie
    None

May 31, 2011
    Cool thanks :D

8. TableTop97

TableTop97 Newbie
    None

May 31, 2011
    Sorry to keep bugging you but... I'm stuck again:( I downloaded market enabler and i dont have a clue how to use it. I thought it would be straight forward, just download or update apps but no. I no i've asked for your help alot but I really do appreciate it.
    If you could write step by step what I need to do to update youtube, (and other apps) that would be so helpful.
    Thanks in advance.
    P.S can I get paid apps for free using this?

9. Nirob

Nirob Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 13, 2010
    Planet Earth
    Open Market Enabler, On the "Actual" tab, press "Save current settings"... Now, go to "Settings list" tab>long press on one of them & select "fake this provider now"... Now, just simply open the Market app, search for YouTube, go to app page & update :D

You won't get paid apps free using this... If you need any either you can Google for apk, or I can help :D

10. TableTop97

TableTop97 Newbie
    None

May 31, 2011
    OK I done exactly as you said, but when I search for youtube doesn't come up.. There's just a random bunch of apps and the closest one to youtube was youtube remote...
    I no that i have done something because the market now shows dollar signs for paid apps (I'm from the UK)
    Any ideas what I'm doing wrong??

11. Nirob

Nirob Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 13, 2010
    Planet Earth