1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Root I'm A Noob, It's been 8 Months I Need Expert Advice Please?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Nihil, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Nihil

Nihil Newbie

So, it's been about 8 months since I rooted my phone and I'm startin to want to learn more...

I rooted my phone and installed xtrSENSE4.0.6.1 ROM and I've spent the past 14 hours today, reading here and XDA seein what options I've got now. I'm debating upgrading to the newer xtrSENSE...but I'd like to learn to customize everything as much as possible, so I'm not sure if that's the right option for me?

I'm looking for some direction on things, what ROM would you guys recommend moving to, I LOVE my current ones performance.

My only internet access is through my phone, I'm using wireless teather to type this now, so errors are no option for me, saddly.

I only use the basics of my phone, calls, text/mms, camera, internet, youtube, music player so less is more for me...out of the 7 screens, I barely qualify for using 3, I play most of the Storm8 games, but other than that, don't use much of the stock apps and would like to rid of as many as possible...if possible

I see now, that we've got an option for an improved boot without trackball required, which sounds like something that I should install, just as a precautionary to be on the safe side of things...

I've been reading the "How to theme" threads but I get kinda lost, even in the super noob easy ones...I'm feeling lost as to what I should do, I need step by step with visual...I feel ******ed!

Advertisement

2. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary

Nihil,

No worries! Sounds like you are on the right track: i.e., reading and learning about what is possible and what you might be interested in doing.

I would suggest taking small bites and reading through the various thead of interest concerning a particular topic (i.e., a particular dev's ROM thread or my trackball-optional thread). You don't want to introduce too many changes at one time since that makes troubleshooting more difficult.

Anyway, xtrSense is up to version 4.6.5 ([ROM][GPL][11/5/2010] xtrSENSE4.6.5 [cache2cache,apps2sd,oc,jit]-HTC Sense - xda-developers) and is what I had flashed until just a few weeks ago. I never played with xtrSense until 4.6.5, but I have to imagine that its much better than your current 4.0.6.1 version.

zach.xtr has also released a very solid non-Sense xtrROM 5.0 ([ROM][GPL] xtrROM5.0 odex,cache2cache,apps2sd,jit,lwp,oc[1/23/2011] - xda-developers) that was what I was running until yesterday (when I flashed GSB 1.6 ([ROM] GSB v1.6 | GingerBread 2.3.2 [CM7.0.0 RC1 NIGHTLY][2-18-2011] - xda-developers) to play with Gingerbread).

Anyway, your Nandroid backups are your friend ;). Just take a Nandroid backup before doing any flashing activity and you'll be able to restore your setup back to a known, safe place.

As far as the trackball-optional recovery, you can install it at your convenience... If you haven't seen any wonky trackball behavior up to now, you are probably okay, but it doesn't hurt to have it pre-installed and the trackball functionality is still installed / supported.

Can't speak to your theme questions...never read-up much re. that :p.

Hope this helps a little.

Cheers!

3. Nihil

Nihil Newbie

Thanks for the response :) I'll have to read up more on ROMs since from the little bit that I have read, certain ROMs are harder to theme, which, I believe the xtrSENSE is one of those and the Cyanogen ROMs are easier (don't hold me to this info, I'm still reading on all of that)

Also, not sure of all the differences between a SENSE and non SENSE/Vanilla...some of the widgets and other features don't work or are less fancy? I know you've got 7 screens vs. 3 which is all I need, and maybe a bit faster performance from a non SENSE?

4. kobel1up

kobel1up Android Enthusiast

I would install launcher pro, you can set it for three screens, default 2 or middle scree. Adw launcher is really good also, that will make it easier for you before you install another rom.

Getting away from sense is the best thing, imo. i am running GSB1.6, it is a 2.2 rom and is very stable, everything works that I have seen. You can ask and someone will answer, we like to help.

5. thrawn86

thrawn86 Android Enthusiast

Customization? Cm roms are your best bet. Gingerbread is fun...

6. Bob Cat

Bob Cat Careful, They're sharp!!
    VIP Member

GSB is a 2.3 rom.:)

7. Nihil

Nihil Newbie

I've downloaded both tenzomonks Vanilla 2.0.4. and Worksheds GSBv1.6 I'll have to check each of'em out Was gonna DL Tazz Froyos GB too and compare the three.

As for icons and what not, I know there's packages and theme zips you can download and pull images/icons and things from those, but can you pull from ROM's themselves? Without installing to the phone?

8. kobel1up

kobel1up Android Enthusiast

I didn't think it was a 2.3, it seems just like the 2.2 that I was running. I never payed much attention.