1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root i'm actually liking the new blur

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by GorillaTheHutt, Mar 31, 2011.

1. GorillaTheHutt

GorillaTheHutt Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 17, 2009
    SF, CA
    i didn't believe i would ever think this, but i'm actually liking blur in GB. i'm sure some of these are general GB benefits, but i think some are thanks to blur, too. the things i really like:

- the speed! everything is faster and smoother, even pinch zooming in the browser. this is probably thanks to GB.

- the skin. the colors, the way everything (such as the dialer) has highlights and reflections, the icons, the transition animations. this is really a very nice looking skin/theme.

- the dialer. i love that you can open the dialer and start typing your contact's name using the numbers and it will find them. this is the way dumbphones used to work, and i have really missed it. not sure if this is blur or GB.

- i like that you get a huge list of recent apps when you hold the home button with the blur launcher. i like a lot of things about the new blur launcher. unfortunately, i can't live without my extra dock icons so i'm back to ADW at least for now.

- sleep mode. that is an excellent idea for when you have to turn off your phone (eg airplanes) but want it to come back on instantly. again not sure if that's blur or GB.

- CRT off animation. OK, i added that :p but it's still awesome.

seems like there are other things, but i have to hand it to moto on this one. i still think i would rather have vanilla android and much quicker updates, but i'm not going to be actively looking to remove blur for the first time since getting the X at launch.

any other favorite things?

Advertisement

2. Outlaw71

Outlaw71 Android Expert
    None

One of the things that tickles me is when I turn the phone from portrait to landscape the screen twists, then changes orientation. I dig that A LOT more than how it used to just go straight from portrait to landscape. Feels so much more fluid the way it transitions now.

I know, I know... it's the little things in life that keep me entertained.

3. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH

Feb 19, 2010
    Male
    No one mentioned the blur status and news widgets? They're top of the line!

4. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 14, 2009
    all this love for blur...so you mean to tell me all the freezes and hangups I used to get with blur have now been fixed?

5. Outlaw71

Outlaw71 Android Expert
    None

I dunno. I have one of those relationships with blur where, she did me sooo wrong when we first met, that I have no use for her at all. No matter how much she says she's 'changed'.

So straight away after flashing GB I replaced the home launcher with 'GoLauncher', and froze all the blur apps I could with TiBU. I guess you could say I really could have just stuck with Liberty since it's not much different than when I was on Liberty (nice, smooth, fast)... except that I don't have the UD theme I love so much.

But there are some subtle differences like the orientation transitions I mentioned that make it pretty sweet. Although they'd better hurry up and find out why Wireless Tether isn't working now, because that's a pretty serious loss if you ask me.

6. GorillaTheHutt

None

Nov 17, 2009
    SF, CA
    Also the calendar widget is nice, since it shows many upcoming items.

Outlaw, I'd say give it another shot. It's easy enough to freeze everything again if you don't like it.

7. Thats

Thats That guy is This
    None

Feb 19, 2010
    Male
    Air Force
    Fargo, ND
    I will never be a Blur fan. Or a Sense fan. Or anything other than Vanilla. I want my Vanilla GB soon. And I'm sure I will get it.

8. binary visions

binary visions Android Expert
    None

May 14, 2010
    As soon as I loaded GummyJAR, I knew I didn't need any of the Blur framework. All of the little tweaks and stuff that Blur added, was all fluff. It wasn't necessary for the way I operated my phone and most of it was useless for me.

The fact that it gummed up the phone so badly really made me frustrated. The dialer was a prime example of that - sure, the "search" built into the dialer might be useful, but if there's a pause every time I press a key while it searches my contacts, that's way more aggravating than it is helpful. The social networking integration was horrible, too. Why would I want all of my Facebook contacts lumped into my contacts? Filtering them in some places didn't filter them in others...

Someone at Moto was listening, though. The Blur in Gingerbread has all of the features that were added to be useful, but with intelligent configuration options and none of the lag. The individual notification removal? Fantastic. New dialer? Useful AND slick. Contacts section? Filtering for accounts, options to display by first or last name, AND sort by first or last name... the way it's supposed to be. App drawer is smart, popups are useful.

Overlays are supposed to add in features that Google didn't include without degrading the OS. That's what this does. I'd probably still be happy with vanilla Android, but at least this gives value without subtracting performance or usability.

9. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 14, 2009
    Well I'll be damned...I've seen the hardest Blur detractors convinced..I guess I'll be onboard. If Verizon doesn't hurry up I'll install the leak.

10. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH

Feb 19, 2010
    Male
    Gingerblur is very smooth.. very smoooth. The new social widgets give the iPhone and Sense a run for their money. I gotta say it. I like it and the new theming. I also like the new vertical/horizontal transition. :D

11. Metfanant

Metfanant Android Expert
    None

Sep 23, 2010
    GingerBlur is MONEY...i love nearly everything about it...

the ONLY two reasons im currently running LPP is first, because screen transitions are just not as smooth with the Blur Launcher...but i use all the Blur Icons on my dock, and as soon as i have a little bit of time im going to make a Dock Background that matches what Moto put in GingerBlur...and second, i like the transition animations, as it sets things apart from other phones that just slide the screens side to side...

12. RWil85

RWil85 Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 17, 2011
    I haven't flashed anything GB yet..

You guys would def recommend flashing the dxgbrooted.zip over rooted apex 1.4.1?

I feel like my phone is set up and running pretty well, but so many people are loving GB- yet, so many people are posting major issues in other threads (no calls/texts, dropping 3G, etc) that I dont know what to do..

Help!?

13. GorillaTheHutt

None

Nov 17, 2009
    SF, CA
    i went from apex 1.4.1 to moto gingerbread and i am not going back (no offense, fab, i love your work!!!)

14. Metfanant

Metfanant Android Expert
    None

Sep 23, 2010
    i went from ApeX to GB and couldn't be happier...i just LOVE the way Blur looks and runs...

as far as custom ROMS are concerned my preference would be for a ROM that is streamlined, bloat removed...add as many performance tweaks as you can and ship it out with a "stock" theme...i'm sure eventually i will switch back to the HoneyBread theme i was running on ApeX...but for now?...Blur is GREAT...

i agree...however, when Fab releases his ApeX based on Ginger...my tune might change...

15. woodstorm

woodstorm Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 6, 2010
    I do "stuff" for "acquaintances"...
    NOLA
    I don't think my phone needs themes now. A couple tweaks and stock will be perfect for me. I still can't believe how nice blur is now. Weird...