• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

IM app that doesn't charge as text messages

Sweed

Sep 27, 2009
When I originally bought my Android, I cheeped out and didn't get the unlimited messaging plan.
I didn't think I'd need it.
I don't text.
lately however I've started getting more into sending IM's from my phone.
but I didn't know that they were charging me as text messages (it was always free when done on the computer xD).
well, I can go to the mobile.yahoo.com website and IM for free from there, but that's kinda a hassle.

are there any android apps that that allow me to IM but don't register it as a text message? That'd be a great help.

I could be wrong but isn't this a function decided by the carrier and not the IM app itself? I anticipated using IM instead of texting, so when I signed up with Verizon I had them block all my text messaging. IM has been working fine for me. If we are paying $30+ bucks for Internet I would hope they would drop the text overcharging, cash cow. I'm not sure which carriers charge IM as text messages but perhaps others can respond.

Upvote 0
thajack, sweed is referring to the fact that on many carriers (T-mobile, for example) the native IM client for everything EXCEPT Gtalk uses SMS protocols in order to send and receive IMs. Thus, every message on AIM, Yahoo, MSN, is charged to your account as a SMS.

BuddyMob and Meebo are good clients and do NOT use SMS protocols to send and receive IMs. They both use Data.

I'm not sure about others, but, whenever you install ANYTHING from the Marketplace there's that warning screen showing what the program needs access to. If you're downloading an IM application, and it uses SMS protocols, that screen would indicate something about SMS in the "services that cost you money" section of the warning.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones