• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Reviews I'm baaaaaack!!! Ditched the crummy iPhone.

I've been on this forum many years with many Samsung phones, but last post was a couple years ago because I "gasp" got a iPhone 8+. I didn't want to, but my wife insisted so we could get the two for one deal at T-Mobile. So I said OK, at least I can try it to see what Apple is all about as I've never had one before. Instant regret! but stuck on the two year contract. After having this iPhone 8+ for a year and half, I can tell you there is no comparison between iphone and Samsung. I hated the iPhone! So, last week, I parked the iPhone in the box and managed to buy me a brand new purple S9 plus for $300 off eBay, lot better than the new $999 price in 2018. I'm not about to buy the new S20 for $1,300. I'll wait another year or two for that. Anyways very happy with this S9 plus so far! Four things I liked instantly over the iPhone was:
1. PURPLE!!! my favorite color.

2. Much better notifications, alerts for deaf, yup I'm deaf now due to Tinnitus. I have it set up for Text only... the screen comes on, the camera flash goes off 5 times, it vibrates 5 times hard and every 3 minutes after that till answered, light around the edge comes on and off and shows up on lock screen. Not that's alerts! iphone only had vibration and the camera flash light, oh yes, the screen does come on too.

3. The Camera and software and ease of use. The iPhone was crummy about uploading photos, and must jump through many hoops to do so, time consuming. Galaxy is simple, plug in and wham! folders show up for download or uploading. More ways to customize it and better camera too.

4. Lighter and more slender than iPhone 8+ yet bigger screen, 6.2 than iPhone 8+ 5.8 screen.
I like the screen better as it really has vibrant deep colors.

* I have a feeling the iPhone is a tougher phone than the Samsung. I was in the Philippines six months ago and my phone which was out of the case for whatever reasons slipped out of my pocket while riding a motorbike cab and skidded down the rough pavement. I was amazed it still worked, no damage or scratches on screen, (had screen shield) but the back was beat up, scratches a few small cracks etc. I don't think the Samsung could survive that.

The two phones were only six months apart, iPhone September 2017, Samsung March 2018, so fair comparison.

Did I say I hated iPhone.:thinking:

Attachments

• Galaxy_S9+.jpg
    Galaxy_S9+.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 366
Last edited:
I've been on this forum many years with many Samsung phones, but last post was a couple years ago because I "gasp" got a iPhone 8+. I didn't want to, but my wife insisted so we could get the two for one deal at T-Mobile. So I said OK, at least I can try it to see what Apple is all about as I've never had one before. Instant regret! but stuck on the two year contract. After having this iPhone 8+ for a year and half, I can tell you there is no comparison between iphone and Samsung. I hated the iPhone! So, last week, I parked the iPhone in the box and managed to buy me a brand new purple S9 plus for $300 off eBay, lot better than the new $999 price in 2018. I'm not about to buy the new S20 for $1,300. I'll wait another year or two for that. Anyways very happy with this S9 plus so far! Four things I liked instantly over the iPhone was:
1. PURPLE!!! my favorite color.

2. Much better notifications, alerts for deaf, yup I'm deaf now due to Tinnitus. I have it set up for Text only... the screen comes on, the camera flash goes off 5 times, it vibrates 5 times hard and every 3 minutes after that till answered, light around the edge comes on and off and shows up on lock screen. Not that's alerts! iphone only had vibration and the camera flash light, oh yes, the screen does come on too.

3. The Camera and software and ease of use. The iPhone was crummy about uploading photos, and must jump through many hoops to do so, time consuming. Galaxy is simple, plug in and wham! folders show up for download or uploading. More ways to customize it and better camera too.

4. Lighter and more slender than iPhone 8+ yet bigger screen, 6.2 than iPhone 8+ 5.8 screen.
I like the screen better as it really has vibrant deep colors.

* I have a feeling the iPhone is a tougher phone than the Samsung. I was in the Philippines six months ago and my phone which was out of the case for whatever reasons slipped out of my pocket while riding a motorbike cab and skidded down the rough pavement. I was amazed it still worked, no damage or scratches on screen, (had screen shield) but the back was beat up, scratches a few small cracks etc. I don't think the Samsung could survive that.

The two phones were only six months apart, iPhone September 2017, Samsung March 2018, so fair comparison.

Did I say I hated iPhone.:thinking:
Let me tell you one thing you did not notice. Whenever we buy a Samsung phone it only gets 2 to 3 updates and that is it. The phone continues to get older and laggy, I mean it happens to every Samsung devices. Even if you buy their flagship phones they will become laggy at some point through 2 years. You just cannot use your device smoothly after 2 years. With I phone you will get every update and also you will never feel that lag which samsung offers.

Upvote 0
Let me tell you one thing you did not notice. Whenever we buy a Samsung phone it only gets 2 to 3 updates and that is it. The phone continues to get older and laggy, I mean it happens to every Samsung devices. Even if you buy their flagship phones they will become laggy at some point through 2 years. You just cannot use your device smoothly after 2 years. With I phone you will get every update and also you will never feel that lag which samsung offers.
Uh... Nope, your wrong as my iphone 8+ came out six months before my Galaxy 9+ did and the galaxy smokes the iphone every which way... no comparison! I should know has I have both of those phones. BTW, the galaxy has updated twice since I've had it the past two weeks. ;)

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
i had my note 8 for two years before i update to the note 10+ never did slow down. i had my note 4.....still have it some place and it never lagged for me. it is true that sammy's get about 2-3 updates. but that is good enough for me....does not mean that it will slow down. plus the newer os updates could slow an older phone down so there is a limit as to how many updates a phone gets anyways.

as for the icraps that are out there, i can't comment as i never owned one before....nor will i ever.

i love my note 10+ and it is one of the few phones that i can see myself using for more then 2 years.....of course i am waiting to see what the note 20 ultra and possibly the note 21 ultra has to offer.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones