• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I'm baaaaaack

jkc120

Android Expert
Apr 12, 2010
El Dorado Hills, CA
This about sums it up for me (where the Nexus has totally redeemed itself heh):

Dumb and Dumber - Just When I Think You Couldn't Possibly Be Any Dumber - YouTube

I probably could have saved myself a ton of headaches if I had just did the "rent a rezound" before the Nexus, so I wouldn't have had to go through the rigamarole of swapping, returning, etc.

But the bottom line is that the few things about the Nexus I was (very vocally, I know) complaining about are things I'm willing to live with to have a Nexus device, vanilla android and ICS without bloatware, etc. The radio, as I have said in other threads, I think will get fixed, at least partially.

The "video artifacts" I will just live with or use it as an excuse to buy a tablet to watch videos in bed :p

Anyway, already unlocked, rooted, cwmr installed and a backup run.

I wound up buying the phone at Costco due to the amazing 90 day exchange policy. In fact, the guy said people can actually exchange for a different phone with their exchange policy. I don't know how open they would be to going device A to B back to A or some other device, but they certainly seem to be much more flexible.

Case in point, the Nexus they gave me was dropping calls and data over and over again. I think in the 30 minutes I had it and drove to a VZW store and back for the extended battery, it dropped probably 10 times, then proceeded to drop my call when I was trying to call 611 for tech support on it! And as I was calling, I felt something sharp scratching my ear. Looked at the phone and it had two thin cracks at the top of the screen on both sides and there was a piece jutting out that was scratching me! I took it back to Costco immediately, and the guy, without any hassle, went back and swapped it out for me. And the kicker? It was the LAST one. *phew*

Anyway, good to be back. I missed my Nexus, despite some of its minor quirks. The rezound is an amazing phone. The radio is phenomenal and the LCD screen really is nice. But I couldn't live with sense for 2 years after running cyanogenmod7 on my dinc for over a year.

Also FWIW, I was holding 1-2 4G bars in my office and tested about the same speed as the Rezound at my desk. It did drop to 3G, but recovered and held 4G. I think a software update and/or radio firmware will fix the 3G/4G handoff and 4G->3G drops.

Glad to have you back. Hopefully you will be happier with second one.

Thanks! I have basically decided the samoled display, while not preferable for me for videos in the dark, is fine and that was my main hold up. It is well worth it to have ICS, vanilla android, tons of dev support, etc. :) I am definitely happy with it. The rezound was really nice, it truly was. But it never had that "wow" factor. Anyway, thanks and hopefully I can continue to help folks out here as well as the rezound forum.

Upvote 0
This about sums it up for me (where the Nexus has totally redeemed itself heh):

Funny enough, I've been following your dilema for the last couple of days, and I think I'm finally going to pull the trigger on a GN. I have a Rezound - and it's perfect, but it's probably going to be quite some time before they have custom or stock ICS Roms ready. I tested out a GN for a day a couple weeks ago - and practically live at the store playing with it week to week. I'm over the camera thing (no matter the debates, the difference is clear to me - and unfortunately it is what it is), but the radio thing concerns me though. The rep I spoke with today told me she's getting a decent amount of complaints about it. In fact, as I was picking her brain about it, the 4G indicator dropped to 3G right there on the spot in front of us.. in the heart of downtown Chicago. Weird thing was, the 4G had full bars - and then the 3G had full bars. I know bars don't matter, but the (LTE) dbm's backed it up - so it was a strong signal area. Like you, I have to believe that's something that the software can fix. But, I rely on that strong 4G Rezound signal for streaming my Radio.com app during my commute - both ways, every day. It's flawless. And apparently the Radio.com app isn't playing well with ICS either right now.

Ughghgh! I just want this GN so bad, and it seems they're doing all they can to make it difficult. I settled on the GN being my first Nexus, and I had also settled on waiting for some updates to hit it first, but your threads and just being with the phone in-person, are giving me that itch again!

Upvote 0
I actually did do the "rent a Rezound program" and agree with pretty much everything you said. As a matter of fact, given the tenor of your posts previous to you deciding that you were going to switch, I figured you'd probably end up switching back to the GNex after a little while.

If the Nexus had the Rezounds amazing display it would be the perfect phone for me. But, like you, having used both of them I can put up with the quirks of a samoled due to the rest of the Nexus package and experience.

Glad you've settled on something that will make you happy!

Upvote 0
I rented the Rezound for 5 weeks. It was a great phone and the radios in the Nexus don't even come close to comparing when it comes to holding signal in a weak area. It is a great phone for folks that arent bothered by the skin or who are that annoyed by the data connectivity of the Nexus. I wholly acknowledge that the Rezound is a better device for certain things, but that is always the case and it just depends on what the user values most and is willing to live with. I too wasn't willing to live with Sense. I just don't like it and that matters that much to me. My Nexus isnt any better or worse with connectivity than any other 4G phone except the Rezound, which to me is the exception rather than the norm. I miss not having 4g in my office but i enjoy ICS and the vanilla look of my Nexus. Give and take as always.

Reactions: john30308 and jbdan
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones