• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Im bored with my Galaxy S2

shakra00

Lurker
Dec 11, 2011
I just bought it last Sunday.
Can you guys suggest me things to do with my phone?
Where can I get HD Games for free? What can I do with it for me not to get bored?
Im currently watching movies in it, the screen is gorgeous.

Im not rooted and have no plans at all since I dont want to void my warranty.

Where can I get HD Games for free? What can I do with it for me not to get bored?

Have you even bothered looking on these forums, the android market and using a search facility such as google....?

Reactions: Stormlight
Upvote 0

Unless you can get hd games for free on the market I can't really suggest anything as its against site rules to talk about it, which in my eyes seems spot on.

I was going to suggest rooting as you can mess about with your phone for hours on end and then the next day you've got something new to flash so you never get bored. But you said you don't want to root so I don't really know what to suggest.

Upvote 0

Do not expect the better things to be free! This is what is wrong with people today, they seem like the are entitled or deserve something without paying!

Reactions: Twinn
Upvote 0

It depends what you enjoy doing. Do you enjoy playing games, talking to others via social nets, geeking out, exercise? What sort of things do you enjoy - then we'll see if there are apps that can help you do them.

Reactions: Slug
Upvote 0
how can you possibly be bored of it?
have you tried different launchers?
i suggest you download Go Launcher off the market (for free)
then you can change your dock icons, app drawer and loads of other stuff
try making a new theme to make it feel like a completely different phone.
have a look on the forums for 'post your homescreen' its in the theme section, i wont provide a link as you can explore the forum and find it for yourself.
also different sms app's, give Handcent SMS a try, again its free from the market. its very customisable also.
i'm not sure about HD games but theres Angry Birds which is free and lots of fun, also a new one i recently found is Air Penguin, its worth a look :)
also on the game front, have you tried any emulators? John GBC is a great Gameboy emulator... Super Mario Land ;)
GENPlusDroid is a great Sega emulator, i have pretty much all the titles i used to play on my old Mastersystem
(you need to download roms from the internet for the emulators, i wont post links as they are most likely pirate material)

i fail to see how anyone can get bored with a smartphone in this day and age, the possibilities are litterally endless.

Reactions: pasqo83 and Twinn
Upvote 0
I have just moved from an Iphone to Android, after 3 years from the 3g, to 3gs to 4, I loved it, the UI is awsome, quick and simple, everything in your face, loads of games, apps you name it I had it, paid and free. A couple of problems with the iphone, you are restricted to using Itunes for 1 computer, you put it on another pc, you lose everything on your phone. To move it from 1 computer to another is long winded (even following the Apple reccomendation), You can't bluetooth between people (only iphone to iphone). Iphone keeps you exclusive to Iphone.

I moved to Android because there was no way im spending more money on a 4s to have a faster processor when I don't play games religiously, or having to find someones name slightly more quicker or even talk to a computer to do my things! Siri is good but its not good when you have to spend an extra

Reactions: Stormlight
Upvote 0
more powerfull than an Iphone (sadly I don't think its as smooth as an Iphone)

iOS prioritises rendering so it always reacts to input, even if it's going to take some time to do anything worthwhile in response - this makes it look fast and reactive. It's a nice trick but I prefer the way Android works.

The nicest thing about the S2 - IMO - and hardware running open-source software in general - is the uPNP stuff that is coming. Have you used AllShare on your S2 yet? At home I'm using my phone as a remote to stream music off my network storage drive on to my stereo - god knows how much money I'd have to give Apple to get something that slick happening.

The next TV I buy will have the same tech, so I'll be rendering images and video from my phone and elsewhere to the TV. Unless Apple are going to support this stuff I can see their walled-garden approach losing them customers when the non-fanboys show the fanboys their slick networked households, and all the Apple users have got is a synced Calendar (that sometimes deletes events!).

Don't get me wrong I love my Macbook Pro it's a lovely computer that has more than paid for itself, but I get the feeling I won't be buying any more Apple hardware.

Upvote 0
Not getting into any iphone v SGS2 debate here

Sorry it was the best way to give a good comparison of an SGS2, hands down with the amount of freedom and play you can do with the SGS2, i'd choose it over an iPhone all the time. It certainly makes it a more powerful phone.

Still looking to do something spectacular with my SGS2 at the moment, don't know what though lol... funny when you really have an endless amount of choices and options you just dont know what to go for :p

Upvote 0
Guys I would like to jump in here even I am a new user of the SGS-2 and even I have started feeling the same even I have started getting bored of this phone. For a lot of reasons primary reason bring the quality of APPS I mean I sincerely still feel though the market might boast whatever number of APPS that it has managed to figure up it still in terms of quality cannot match the apple apps store. The kind of games the kind of apps the apple store offers that is mind blowing. Like for e.g I am in India and almost dozen of APPS though they are available in the Market I cannot download it because I don't know of what restrictions. One example being being "pandora" I don't know for what freakin reason is it banned in India. I know rooting it the phone may help me install it pandora but I am so scared if rooting my just week old SGS-2. I still feel "if u don't have an iPhone well, u don't have an iPhone !! " what a pity :)

Upvote 0
Guys I would like to jump in here even I am a new user of the SGS-2 and even I have started feeling the same even I have started getting bored of this phone. For a lot of reasons primary reason bring the quality of APPS I mean I sincerely still feel though the market might boast whatever number of APPS that it has managed to figure up it still in terms of quality cannot match the apple apps store. The kind of games the kind of apps the apple store offers that is mind blowing. Like for e.g I am in India and almost dozen of APPS though they are available in the Market I cannot download it because I don't know of what restrictions. One example being being "pandora" I don't know for what freakin reason is it banned in India. I know rooting it the phone may help me install it pandora but I am so scared if rooting my just week old SGS-2. I still feel "if u don't have an iPhone well, u don't have an iPhone !! " what a pity :)

Hey I really don't understand and that's me coming from an Iphone background.
Android is the most universal market you can think of. I have lots of Apps I use that would literally summon the Gods above and strike bolts of lightning and thunderstorms down onto an Iphone! lol..

The Iphone in terms of build quality is by far the better, in terms of the way the iOS system works is by far the smoothest. In terms of Apps, it doesn't control the monopoly IMHO. Iphone App store make you feel part of their community, but they restrict you in more ways than 1, can you make your songs into a ring tone, can you download mp3s without paying, download youtube, flash player, chose your own alarm clock mp3 (without the need of making an mp4r on your comp first and finding 30seconds of music you want).

Pandora? Take it that is a music/radio streamer. You want to listen to Radio? Try downloading Winamp and then use the shoutcast. Droid Live is also a good one as well.

Want to download from youtube? Download TubeMate

Want to download music in general? Download MP3 Music Download v2

Want to turn a certain section into a song? Download MP3 Ringtone Maker

These are all found in the Market.

When you talk about games, what games does the app store offer that the Android market doesn't? Android Market offers you snes/nes/gb/ emulators so all you need to do is get the roms online and your playing old skool games as well (sky is the limit with this). Can't get this on the iphone. ;)

I think you need to play about with the phone more, see what you want and compare them with other stuff that is made for Android as there are loads more apps than you imagine there is that is of real good quality. :p

Upvote 0
pandora to my knowledge is only available in america, that would be the same on iphone or android. Its because they dont have a licence to play the music worldwide. Same reason i cant get pandora radio on the laptop anymore. Rooting it wont make any difference, you need to change your ip address to an american one for it to work.

Upvote 0
pandora to my knowledge is only available in america, that would be the same on iphone or android. Its because they dont have a licence to play the music worldwide. Same reason i cant get pandora radio on the laptop anymore. Rooting it wont make any difference, you need to change your ip address to an american one for it to work.

I dont know if you have heard about this or not ? XDA Development forum. a lot of guys there have got their SGS-2 rooted and have gone ahead and installed Pandora from the market and are very happily using it !!

My Brother has a Unlocked GSM version of iPhone 4S which he got from the U.S and he can very easily and happily listen to Pandora to its full glory here in India !!

Upvote 0
Pandora? Take it that is a music/radio streamer. You want to listen to Radio? Try downloading Winamp and then use the shoutcast. Droid Live is also a good one as well.

No I only wanna listen to Pandora nobody plays the kind of music I love, as Pandora does...so there again I am having to do compromises... Thats Sad !

When you talk about games, what games does the app store offer that the Android market doesn't? Android Market offers you snes/nes/gb/ emulators so all you need to do is get the roms online and your playing old skool games as well (sky is the limit with this). Can't get this on the iphone. ;)

Does the Market have games like Soccer Fifa 12, Infinity Blade, Real Racing GTI. No it does not have it, and so the quality of games that are available in the Market is atrocious...It is Third Class...

Upvote 0
No I only wanna listen to Pandora nobody plays the kind of music I love, as Pandora does...so there again I am having to do compromises... Thats Sad !

That's just preference then if you only want Pandora, have you tried the other radio stations? Winamp shoutcast is worldwide - they have music from every genre around the world, radio stations that are played on the internet and America and has been around way longer than Pandora, the list is endless! Winamp will have the music you play so don't just assume Pandora is the best because it's only available in America or it's only available on Iphone. Chances are that it is available on every phone but only in America.

Does the Market have games like Soccer Fifa 12, Infinity Blade, Real Racing GTI. No it does not have it, and so the quality of games that are available in the Market is atrocious...It is Third Class...

So they are not available at the moment. As I am not a die hard lover of games (seeing as a phone is suppose to be a phone and not a games console) but thats just MO. Alternate versions for games

Asphalt 5
Assassins Creed
Real Football 2010
Modern Combat Sandstorm
Dungeon Hunter
Hero of Sparta
Lets Golf
N.O.V.A. Near Orbit Vanguard Alliance
Gangstarr (like GTA).
Real Racing 2 (there is a link online, beta version, does not work in the UK, not sure about India).

Still can't decide, get the snes, sega, nes, gb emulator and roms and you have in fact more better games than any games console can give you.

Android are designed for people who want to try everything, free to use their phone and taste pretty much everything. If you want to be stuck in a bubble where everything is pretty much spoon fed and you get told whats hot, get the iphone. I've stopped following the sheep. :p

Upvote 0
So they are not available at the moment. As I am not a die hard lover of games (seeing as a phone is suppose to be a phone and not a games console) but thats just MO. Alternate versions for games

Asphalt 5
Assassins Creed
Real Football 2010
Modern Combat Sandstorm
Dungeon Hunter
Hero of Sparta
Lets Golf
N.O.V.A. Near Orbit Vanguard Alliance
Gangstarr (like GTA).
Real Racing 2 (there is a link online, beta version, does not work in the UK, not sure about India).

Still can't decide, get the snes, sega, nes, gb emulator and roms and you have in fact more better games than any games console can give you.

Android are designed for people who want to try everything, free to use their phone and taste pretty much everything. If you want to be stuck in a bubble where everything is pretty much spoon fed and you get told whats hot, get the iphone. I've stopped following the sheep. :p

I could not find a couple of games that you have mentioned here, and whatever I could find, I still think it is not the quality which the Apple Apps store has to offer. But thats just MO. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
You have to remember that iOS programs are only coded for one one or two hardware versions. It's much easier to program when you don't have to worry about all the things that could go wrong with a billion version of Android floating around, a trillion UI overlays and a thousand Android manufacturers.

Another thing attractive to developers is that the App Store seems to bring more revenue.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones