• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I'm getting one...but wow is it ugly

johninbigd

Android Enthusiast
Jun 3, 2009
I was originally going to get an HTC Hero when it came out on Verizon, but now I'm pretty sure I'm going to get this. It has the functionality I need, but holy cow...it is really, really ugly, especially when compared to the Hero UI.

I haven't had an android phone before. Will it be theme-able? I hate the way it looks, physically and the UI. The Hero, in contrast, has an amazing UI. But it doesn't have Android 2.0 or the faster processor, which is huge for me.

Why is everyone so concerned about the aesthetics of their phone? I don't get it. It's not like these things are cars or something..

Either way, Android is 100% customizable. If you can get the MotoBLUR ROM or just happen to find a theme you like, you can download it.

Really though... I don't remember anyone saying "Geez that iPhone is really nice on the eyes!" or something. It's as functional as an iPhone too (plus more), so I'm not seeing a problem here..

Upvote 0
It is distinctive, but have you seen the HTC Hero UI? It is also distinctive but very, very nice looking. I'm excited to get a Droid, don't get me wrong, but I'll definitely be looking for ways to change the way it looks.

It stinks that I have to wait a couple of weeks now. lol I can't wait to dump my iPhone.

Upvote 0
I never made the assertion that looks don't matter everywhere. But it's a phone. It's going to fit in my hand the same way an iPhone or the N900 does.

Appearance affects usability to some degree in a phone. I don't see any mega-chin like the G1's here to get in the way of your right thumb. So other than that, the point is kind of silly.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I suppose... all subjective when it comes down to it.

Upvote 0
I was referring to both the physical phone and the UI. The UI I've seen pictures of is disappointing after seeing the HTC Hero, but I'm sure I'll be more than happy with it when I see it live and in person.

Although the Droid UI (which is the basic untouched Android UI) isn't as pretty as the likes of the Sense UI that HTC use, I think the big benefit of leaving it as default will be speed.

I'm pretty sure you can change the default look of the Android UI using themes (see Android Evolve for some examples).

Upvote 0
Why is everyone so concerned about the aesthetics of their phone? I don't get it. It's not like these things are cars or something..

Either way, Android is 100% customizable. If you can get the MotoBLUR ROM or just happen to find a theme you like, you can download it.

Really though... I don't remember anyone saying "Geez that iPhone is really nice on the eyes!" or something. It's as functional as an iPhone too (plus more), so I'm not seeing a problem here..
Looks are important too, if it looks bad you'll be embarrassed. But I think this phone actually looks pretty sweet, definitly can be passed as average looking in my opinion. But looks above average to me.

Upvote 0
No kiddin' John! It's what has turned my head...I was waiting for the Pre to get to Verizon (committed V guy, not leaving), but realizing that it still wasn't THE phone. No expansion card? So you can't really encrypt files. Neither one has a seamless desktop sync app, but CompanionLink looks like a solution. I'm not a kid, not a Twit, etc....so I want the full screen for interneting, easy use as a phone (anyone remember that?), wifi, USB...so this looks like a Pre beater to me. They both already beat that iThing since that keypad is pretty tough to get used to, and again, exclusive with ATT.

Upvote 0
I actually think that the Droid is quite pretty. Sure it doesn't have the rounded corners of the iDevices, or pretty colors. But when it comes down to it, much like the furniture at Ikea, the function is good looking. Keep it simple, pack it with features, and don't offer dozens of shiny bright colors on a serious phone.

Upvote 0
I enjoy the looks of the Droid. It's simple and classy to me. Can't wait to see it in the real.

I would have to say, I was not impressed by the pics on the web of the phone or UI. After playing with for 4 hours today. I want one.

It's sleek with a little edge. Mainly metallic surfaces versus plastic. I like the brass accents on certain buttons and surfaces.

The stock UI is better in person. The screen is the best I have ever seen. It's an Andriod phone. It's all about customization. If you don't like UI, change it. Customizing it is the easiest thing to do on the phone.

Upvote 0
I really don't get all the hate for the design.. I think this think looks dead sexy. I guess I heard a lot of the same about the G1 back in the day too. I loved my G1 when I first got it... but after seeing the Droid... I'm looking at my G1 thinking "honeymoon's over baby".

That's exactly how I feel about my storm right now. About my fours hours, I'm an employee with big red. I value my job too much to snap pics and post them. There's slot of hush hush around these new phones for the 4Q. This site has the best pics of the phone. The pics that came from moto's site that was up for like 3 mins.

Upvote 0
I couldn't care less about what my phone looks like so appearance means nothing to my decision to purchase, but I do think that the Droid looks pretty slick in and of itself. Just as long as it has a large screen, good processor and GPU, and all of the currently available peripheral components integrated, it can look ugly sitting in my pocket or cupped in the palm of my hand while I look at the screen.

My wife, on the other hand, is one of the many who use shininess as a device ranking criteria and really likes how it looks as well, so I guess we both have our reasons for wanting one. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones