• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help I'm having a lot of problems please help!!

Freeze Time

Dec 30, 2011
I bought this phone brand new from Virgin Mobile and got it in the mail 2 days ago and it's been nothing but a headache. First off, I'm having trouble with wifi disconnection or flat out saying it's connected but not actually being connected to the internet? I have messed with the settings under advanced and even download WiFi fixer and it's not really helping. All my other wireless devices work flawlessly.

My phone has rebooted all by itself 4 times and one of those times I was on phone call. Why in the world is it doing this? I paid a lot for this phone and I thought it was supposed to be really advanced but I am really irritated. What is going on and how can I fix the problem? Do I just somehow have a crappy phone? It's not rooted or anything. All stock. PLEASE HELP!!!

If your phone is still brand new, that advice probably is the best you can get.

If it was randomly Rebooting on its own straight out of the box, good chance you got a faulty device.

As for the wifi issues, is the wifi your home wifi? If so, have you tried restarting your router?

I wish I could offer better advice, but it would be much easier to get your device replaced with it being so new.

DS

Reactions: GJTRUEFAITH
Upvote 0
That's your only advice? Is there a site with a more active message board?

You ask for help then criticize peoples suggestions. WOW! This is a very helpful and active site. But you have to have some patience!

The only other thing is try a factory reset. Otherwise it is an uncommon occurrence so an exchange is a likely solution.

Upvote 0
You ask for help then criticize peoples suggestions. WOW! This is a very helpful and active site. But you have to have some patience!

The only other thing is try a factory reset. Otherwise it is an uncommon occurrence so an exchange is a likely solution.

Oops forgot about the fr :p

Unlikely to help, but worth a try :)

DS

Upvote 0
I'm just baffled as to how I got a faulty phone. Yes I rebooted the router. It took me like an hour to download all my apps and customize my phone. My only option is to reboot and do it all over again?

It's very possible to get a faulty phone, if you want, you can download "my backup" from the market to backup your apps.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rerware.android.MyBackup

Then if you want to try it, do the factory reset to see if that may solve the Rebooting and wifi issue.

Just make sure you transfer your backup file to the ext sd card or the factory reset will delete the backup file.

DS

Upvote 0
More often than not, there's maybe a 20% chance you'll get a faulty phone.

For example:
I went through 3 htc evo 3d's before I got a good one out of the box.

Evo 1: faulty speaker
Evo 2: stuck on 1xrtt (no 3g)
Evo 3: faulty digitizer
Evo 4: 4th times a charm

As said above, it's not extremely uncommon to receive a bad device.
But if the factory reset doesn't work, a call to VM would definitely be in order.

DS

Upvote 0
Okay thanks. I will try that app. The phone has not reset from what I can tell and I have not noticed a problem with the router. Is there a way to tell if it resets without physically seeing it? One good thing is that the phone reboots super quick at least.

The reason I am baffled is because I've read nothing but praises for Samsung phones and the Galaxy S2 is currently ranked as one of the top 20 cell phones available.

Upvote 0
Okay thanks. I will try that app. The phone has not reset from what I can tell and I have not noticed a problem with the router. Is there a way to tell if it resets without physically seeing it? One good thing is that the phone reboots super quick at least.

The reason I am baffled is because I've read nothing but praises for Samsung phones and the Galaxy S2 is currently ranked as one of the top 20 cell phones available.

Do you mean the phone resets or the router resets?

DS

Upvote 0
The phone resets. The phone also disconnects from Wifi. Twi e so far today it disconnects and then goes to 3g and then connects back to the wifi. 2 nights ago, it kept going in and out of 3 3g and refused to hook up to the router. So far, it has not rebooted on my since my last post I made about it rebooting but it could have rebooted when I was in the shower or sleeping for all I know.

Upvote 0
The phone has rebooted all by itself 4 times. I have rebooted the router twice. Again, all my other devices work flawlessly with the router and Wifi. For some reason, the Galaxy S2 either doesn't like my router or has a problem.

Dude you seriously just need to get it exchanged. Its not that big of a deal. You got a bad phone. They usually send it in 1 or 2 days. Just express your displeasure to them and they can be very accommodating.

Upvote 0
I have the worst luck with phones. Oh well. I will make the call. Thanks for the feedback. I guess I was just hoping a high quality phone would work.

You cant blame the whole line for a few bad ones. It's like someone said before. There's a reason why you don't see a lot of posts about this phone on here. It's a good phone! But there are probably a few bad ones that slipped through. I'm a little bias I guess because I compare all my phones to my first android, the Intercept. That was a huge POS.

Upvote 0
Yeah I know but I went through hell to activate it. Took 2 hours and 4 people and 2 disconnects. I will get a brand new in the box one though as a replacement so that's good at least. I believe they do this as long as the phone is no more than 30 days old.

Can you help me with the light being dim then bright issue? I know it has to due with the auto adjust or something but I can't quite figure it out.

Upvote 0
Well that was another adventure! I called to get another phone sent to me and after explaining to her that I have 4-5 issues that she can't even begin to troubleshoot, she transferred me to the technical girl who proceeds to try and trouble shoot the data connection problem anyway and then realizes she can't so she tells me she will send a replacement phone. I tell her I want a BRAND NEW/SEALED phone and she tells me she can't do that and that I was misinformed about having 14 days to get a brand new phone and my only options are to get a replacement or I can send the phone back(paying out of pocket and being without a phone for like a week) and then they will send me a brand new galaxy or I can get the "barely used" phone or one someone "changed their mind on" sent me to then send back my defective phone.

After going back and forth with her I asked to speak with her supervisor and she says that she will tell you the exact same thing I am and I said no she won't, she will actually be able to help me and so I get transferred and at first the supervisor tells me the same thing. After I explain everything again and how unrealistic the options are that I have been given, I have her look at my history with phones and she finally sees that I was sent a brand new Triumph months after I had purchased it. She explains that this is not the policy but understand why I was sent a brand new phone because I was having so many problems with the replacement(refurbished phones) and that she will do the same thing again. So she says she is going to process the order and my phone cuts off the call. I look at my phone and there is no signal. 10 seconds later, I get a signal again and 2 minutes later she calls me.

She says she is shipping me a brand new in the box phone and then credits my account $35 for all the inconvenience and confusion. Her name was Bella and I highly recommend you talk to her if you have any problems regular CS can't handle. Oddly, I've gotten 2 different orders emailed to me so I will probably have to call and see what that is about. Anyway, I should be getting the new phone Tuesday. Judging by what others have said, this phone should be flawless.

Upvote 0
Well that was another adventure! I called to get another phone sent to me and after explaining to her that I have 4-5 issues that she can't even begin to troubleshoot, she transferred me to the technical girl who proceeds to try and trouble shoot the data connection problem anyway and then realizes she can't so she tells me she will send a replacement phone. I tell her I want a BRAND NEW/SEALED phone and she tells me she can't do that and that I was misinformed about having 14 days to get a brand new phone and my only options are to get a replacement or I can send the phone back(paying out of pocket and being without a phone for like a week) and then they will send me a brand new galaxy or I can get the "barely used" phone or one someone "changed their mind on" sent me to then send back my defective phone.

After going back and forth with her I asked to speak with her supervisor and she says that she will tell you the exact same thing I am and I said no she won't, she will actually be able to help me and so I get transferred and at first the supervisor tells me the same thing. After I explain everything again and how unrealistic the options are that I have been given, I have her look at my history with phones and she finally sees that I was sent a brand new Triumph months after I had purchased it. She explains that this is not the policy but understand why I was sent a brand new phone because I was having so many problems with the replacement(refurbished phones) and that she will do the same thing again. So she says she is going to process the order and my phone cuts off the call. I look at my phone and there is no signal. 10 seconds later, I get a signal again and 2 minutes later she calls me.

She says she is shipping me a brand new in the box phone and then credits my account $35 for all the inconvenience and confusion. Her name was Bella and I highly recommend you talk to her if you have any problems regular CS can't handle. Oddly, I've gotten 2 different orders emailed to me so I will probably have to call and see what that is about. Anyway, I should be getting the new phone Tuesday. Judging by what others have said, this phone should be flawless.

See, you just have to be persistent and express your displeasure and they will eventually make it right. When I had the rumor touch, I had a ton of issues with it. I went through multiple replacements till I finally got a good one. But during that time I went without service for almost a month. So I filed a BBB complaint. I got a call from some lady at VM corporate. She refunded a months worth of service plus added 3 more months of credit to my account. But it really sucks that you have to go through all that to get them to do the right thing.

Glad to hear they are getting it resolved. I hope the new one works out because it is a pretty awesome phone. Then you'll be able to shut those Iphone fan boys up. On another note, I'm getting an Iphone for work in a week, so I'll be able to compare them. That'll be another thread....LOL

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones