1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

I'm in the market for a tablet and...

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by WuBoy, Dec 5, 2013.

1. WuBoy

WuBoy Well-Known Member

as much as I love Android, I think I'm going to have to go with a Windows 8 option. There are a couple reasons, but the major one is the Snap functionality. Being able to work with two apps on screen at once is essential for what I want to do. It's crazy that's not really an option yet on any but the Samsung devices, and even there its limited. It kinda sucks because other than I've seen some real nice options. The Asus Memo 10 FHD is pretty much exactly what I want and more than 100 less than the comparable Windows tablets. It's just lacking that one functionality.

Man I wish these guys would release their product.

Ixonos Multi-Window for Android - YouTube

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. SiempreTuna

SiempreTuna Android Expert

I kinda like the theory of a windoze tablet - I kinda liked it a decade and a bit back when Billy-Boy launched it - and if we could have gotten the Surface for the price it was in the US last Friday, I might even have been tempted .. even though I still don't actually feel the need for any tablet.

Maybe I need to have one to realise why I'd want one :D

That's kinda how it worked with my missus: she had no use for a tablet .. until her work gave her a 10" iPad. Now she uses it all the time and is actually talking about buying the 'handbag-size' version for when she travels.

3. sfbloodbrother

sfbloodbrother Extreme Android User

Those windows tablets are really good for multi tasking and work needs. I was thinking of picking up a windows tablet sometime, but realized I have enough tablets and dont need any more.

4. pool_shark

pool_shark Android Expert

If/when my laptop stops working I've pretty much decided to go with the Dell Venue 11 pro.

5. Goodspike

Goodspike Android Expert

I reached that realization when I owned one tablet. :D

I thought I would want two, one for me and one for the wife, but I just don't use it enough to justify even a minimal expense.

6. I moved this thread to the sub-forum where devices are compared.

... Thom

7. Goodspike

Goodspike Android Expert

Not necessarily that same device, but I would like my desktop to last long enough for its replacement to be some sort of high end tablet device of some sort, either with or without a device specific keyboard. Most likely that would mean it would need to be a Windows device, so that I could run programs like Quicken.

8. WuBoy

WuBoy Well-Known Member

Hey, I'm like you. I use my phone for most things, and whatever I can't use it for, I use my laptop.

Recently, I decided I wanted to refamiliarize myself with math and physics because I've realized that I forgot a lot of what I knew since I don't use it all in my job as a Research Analyst. Now I could do it old school, with pen and paper, but in this day and age, that just seems silly. A nice 10 inch tablet and a stylus would be perfect though.

It also seems that I'm not alone in believing that Windows tablets are far superior for that type of thing when compared to Android tablets even though I like the Android OS more than Windows in general.

9. Sandgoose

Sandgoose Member

windows tablets are great if you don't mind the os taking up more than 16gb of precious internal device storage!

I can't think if any reasons for wanting 2 apps on screen at the same time but I know android can do it in a limited capacity, I believe my friend showed me his device playing a media player showing a movie on top of another app.

10. Goodspike

Goodspike Android Expert

For the Samsung products (or at least the S4) it's limited to a very few apps, and most of those are apps there would be no reason to multi-screen. I don't think this was possible when I first got my S4, but I can now multi-screen Google Maps and Google Music. That keeps the screen on when I'm in the car, because Navigation keeps the screen on. That's the only use I have for split screen given the limited apps.

11. WuBoy

WuBoy Well-Known Member

You just inadvertently answered one of the questions I had about windows tablets. One way a lot of Android tablets manage to keep the price down without killing quality too much is by offering models small amounts of internal memory, even down to 8 gigs in some cases. I was wondering why that wasn't the case with the Windows tablets. You hardly find any of them with less than 32 gigs. If what you say is true, then that answers that.

I recently heard it put that if you're looking for a good tablet for consumption go with iOS or Android. If you're looking for a good tablet for production, go with Windows. I think that's fitting. If you think that way, you'll also come up with plenty reasons why you might want 2 apps on screen. If you're just thinking consumption e.g. gaming, watching movies, listening to music, etc... then no you probably don't need to apps on screen. If you're thinking about doing actual work similar to what you might do on a computer, then there are tons of reasons why might have multiple apps on screen.

12. sfbloodbrother

sfbloodbrother Extreme Android User

Really, I feel like I could use more. But I don't need anymore.

13. Goodspike

Goodspike Android Expert

I think part of it is getting the 5" screen of the S4 I do more on the phone now than I did. I have pretty good eyesight, so a lot of what I used to do on the tablet I now do on the phone.

14. WuBoy

WuBoy Well-Known Member

I won't lie. That's part of my dilemma now. I could probably get a Windows tablet in my desired price range, but the few that are there are 7 in. tablets. Given that I already have a 5 in. phone, I'd rather not invest a bunch of money in something that's not that much bigger.