1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Support I'm in trouble and need help......FAST!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Chris623, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Chris623

Chris623 New Member

Jan 28, 2012
    I just activated my first android phone........a Motorola Bravo........with Consumer Cellular. I've never used a smart phone before, so every single thing about it is "Greek" to me. When I went to Consumer Cellular from AT&T, I thought a smart phone would be nice. I use a cell phone primarily for voice communications. I've sent about 10 text messages since getting my first phone back in the 90's. But I thought it would be nice to have a qwerty keyboard, just in case. I also envied seeing others have access to weather reports and a few things like that. I will never listen to music, play games, visit social networks or any of that. I may eventually need to Google something for info. My web usage will be minimum. So I ordered the Bravo. Immediately I start noticing all of this web usage showing up on my data usage site. In fact, in less than 5 days, all of my 5mb was used up and exceeded. I contacted them and asked what the problem was. Turns out there are so many things running in the background that I had no idea were activated that it was connecting me to the web every time I turned on the phone. Got hold of a fellow in Consumer Cellulars Support who told me to install the Advanced Task Killer Free program and "sort of" walked me through getting things killed on my phone. I say "sort of" because I have 111,000 plus kb on my bill and still counting......as long as I have my phone on.

I'm desperately trying to find someone with enough knowledge to literally walk me through turning this darned smart phone into something like I wanted in the first place...........a cell phone, text phone and occasional web access tool. (but only when I want access!) If I don't find help, I'm going to be paying through the nose for stuff I'm not using. HELP!!!!!

Advertisement

2. Chris623

Chris623 New Member

Jan 28, 2012
    I finally got Consumer Cellular Support to walk me through my phone setup, step by step. I had already done everything they were telling me..........and I was still being charged for time on the air, when (supposedly) nothing was connected to the Internet! So I just gave up totally on the Bravo. Am sending it back to Consumer Cellular. I'll get a phone that isn't "tethered" to the Internet!

3. wowplayer12

wowplayer12 New Member

Feb 20, 2012
    OK SO, i root my Motorola Bravo and desided to get CM7. i was told NOT to wipe my data. so i didnt. and ziped it from boot screen. Then rebooted. Then it sat at the boot up screen and stayed there. I pulled my battery out. rebooted to recovery utility. WIPED everything. date/ cache. rebooted phone. NOW it is staying at the motorolla boot screen with the M in the middle. PLEASE HELP. I do have a backup from clockwork mod.

4. Morely

Morely New Member

Nov 9, 2011
    IT Technician
    Oregon, USA
    Actually, what you *should* have done was turn off data.
    Step-by-step:
    1. go to Settings
    2. Choose Data Manager
    3. hit Data Delivery
    4. uncheck Data enabled

After that, just turn data on when you *need* to access the Web over 3G, and turn it off again when you're done. Since 99% of the time, I am at a wifi hotspot of some kind, my data is off almost all the time.