• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I'm insane...

andruoid

Android Expert
Jan 10, 2011
BC, Canada
Well, that's what the better=half says ;)

After battling for about 2 weeks with Win8 on a 3rd Gen i5 based laptop I gave in. You buy beautiful hardware then have to deal with an OS like Win8, it's frustrating, at least for me. I have to mention I did try 3 variants of GNU/Linux which also had another set of issues, mostly random WiFi disconnects. I was within the time frame to return the laptop and had a couple of products in mind.

At the same time I bought the laptop I did look at the Chromebook, the Acer C7 and the Samsung (All reviews point to the C7 trouncing the Sammy). Anyway, the C7 was going for $234 at a local store. I played around more this time and really enjoyed the speed and simplicity of the interface. Coming from 2 weeks of Win8 hybrid hell (Modern and classic) it was a relief on the senses. I was sold as a Surface tablet with "keyboard" was $599 and doesn't do much more. I also picked up a Kingston HyperX 120GB SSD which brought the total with tax to about $430ish.

Once I had installed the SSD it booted in 4 secs! The SSD came with an enclosure too so the Seagate Momentus Thin 320GB that came with the C7 is now in there and acts as my backup. So, I'm done, I have my system :D

We all have different experiences with Windows 8, some people like it, and some people are not ready for change yet. I have been using it on my Non-Touch screen desktop for about 2 months now, and haven't come up with a single issue. It's just windows 7 for me, just, faster, cleaner, organized, more powerful, and better at multi-tasking.
The Chromebooks are great computers, before I decided to build my own computer I was looking at the Sammy Series 5 chromebooks! It came down to that I wanted to play Steam games, The latest titles, and that is why I went with Windows, because it still has all the games.

Upvote 0
I gave it a fair try however, the Chromebook was much more limiting than I realized. Not sure where Google is going with it. That and the wifi issues of constant disconnecting. Turns out the Atheros wifi was the same as the V5 unit I returned as well, buggy Acer hardware.

Full circle I came back to the iPad4. Visually; free of the archaic 1366x768 and lower resolutions and even more importantly colour tones are unmatched. No, I'm not a fanboy, I just use the best for me, functionality and visually pleasing things appeal to my tastes. :)

Upvote 0
I gave it a fair try however, the Chromebook was much more limiting than I realized. Not sure where Google is going with it. That and the wifi issues of constant disconnecting. Turns out the Atheros wifi was the same as the V5 unit I returned as well, buggy Acer hardware.

Full circle I came back to the iPad4. Visually; free of the archaic 1366x768 and lower resolutions and even more importantly colour tones are unmatched. No, I'm not a fanboy, I just use the best for me, functionality and visually pleasing things appeal to my tastes. :)

iPads are good devices for many people.

Reactions: Bob Maxey
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones