• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I'm Keeping My Note 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a good update for Verizon users of Note 7's.

I just had a lengthy online chat with a Verizon Wireless support rep. Here's what they said:

1.) Verizon isn't making any plans to do anything on its part to block Note 7 users from accessing its network.

2.) Verizon plans to bill customers for the full retail cost of their Note 7, on December 19th, if they don't return it by December 19th.

3.) Samsung hasn't told Verizon it intends to force any more updates to Verizon's Note 7 users, beyond the one already that cripples battery charging to 60% maximum. Verizon is aware that Samsung is forcing additional updates to Note 7 users on other carrier networks that cripple additional critical functions of those devices. Verizon can't say that Samsung intends to do that to Verizon Note 7 users, but they can't say that they don't, either.

4.) Verizon says that if Samsung does cripple or totally disable its Note 7 users's devices anytime after December 19th, those users will still be able to return their devices for a full refund, if they wish.

Assuming I wasn't lied to in writing by Verizon, it seems that as long as I prevent any updates from being pushed to my Note 7, it will continue to function normally. It also seems there continues to be no financial risk to continuing to use my Note 7 for as long as I want. I will be a little sad about having to end up paying to buy it, at this point, but I was originally expecting to have to do that anyway, so no real harm done, in that respect.

Last edited:
Reactions: RaymondP
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Samsung Galaxy Note 7.

Ohhh!! I think the reason I didn't grasp your meaning was because it's apparent to me the Note 7 is not done at all, for anyone who wants to make the effort to keep Samsung out of their device. Not only that, but now Verizon has even stepped up to some extent on our behalf, too!

I just saw a flock of pigs fly by my office window! ;)

Upvote 0
OK. Can they turn off the charger or what?

I think it's pretty safe to assume that Samsung can do anything to control any and all aspects of the device's features and hardware it wants, if it is able to successfully deliver an operating system update to the device. If not, then no.

Upvote 0
sure wish there was a way to delete the erroneously created double post..

There is :)....hitting the Report button will get the Moderators attention and they'll take care of it for you.

Also, a lot of folks will edit-out their post with "deleted" or "dupe post", etc. and if a Mod sees it, we'll take care of it, but that's secondary to the Report button, of course :).

Upvote 0
http://phandroid.com/2016/12/09/verizon-samsung-galaxy-note-7-response/

Looks as though all carriers aside from Verizon will be issuing the update.

It is my considered opinion, having been a VZW customer for 20+ years, that Verizon will NOT ignore Samsung's edit to update the phone.

What they will do is force the update thru w/o you having a chance to stop it from happening.
I have had that happen to my S5 already.... I kicked and screamed, getting Samsung techs online together with VZW techs and telling them that I want to stay on 4.4.4

they told me that will not happen, that it will be forceably be upgraded whether I like it or not.
and it did, the very next time I did a Restart, it installed the new O.S.

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
It is all a question of legal responsibility. If Samsung have advised carriers to remotely disconnect their Galaxy Note 7's and they do not, then the carrier is to blame in the event of any mishaps. This carrier level disconnection happened en masse in New Zealand on the 18th November without any update being involved since carriers can just choose to blacklist a specific model of phone from their network to prevent its use. Australia will follow suit, with carrier disconnections on 15th December. In Canada, it would seem that Wi-Fi and Bluetooth will be connected on the 12th December and cellular connections will be disconnected on the 15th December. Quite how this will work in Canada, is unclear. The cellular disconnection could follow the New Zealand/Australia format, with carriers doing the disconnecting.

Personally, I have yet to hear of one good, logical, valid, reason for continuing the use of the Samsung Note 7 and potentially putting owners, their families and friends as well as others, not to mention property, at risk.

Upvote 0
[...]
Personally, I have yet to hear of one good, logical, valid, reason for continuing the use of the Samsung Note 7 and potentially putting owners, their families and friends as well as others, not to mention property, at risk.

Please just don't tell me you or your loved ones EVER ride in an automobile. Do you know how dangerous THAT is??

There's obviously more going on than meets the public eye. Samsung is driving an unprecedented level of aggression in trying to claw back as many devices as they can stampede people into giving up. At the same time, they continue to let the official designation of the recall stand as 'voluntary'. Why don't you go ahead and square that for us?

If Samsung had compelling evidence of a threat so certain, why wouldn't they make the recall mandatory, and/or why wouldn't the U.S. CPSC do so, or mandate that carriers cut off service to the product, nationwide?

Samsung is playing games, for their own interests, above everyone else's. That's the bottom line here. Is there still a chance for Note 7's to experience battery short circuiting and meltdown? I have to believe there is. It's a matter of just how great that possibility is. What threshold does the rate of this type of failure have to cross before it transitions from acceptable to unacceptable? You do know of course that there are also reports of S7's and iPhones also experiencing catastrophic battery short circuiting and total device meltdown, right? Just how much higher than for those devices has the rate of that failure been for the Note 7? And to think, we're discussing all this when Samsung hasn't even released its findings of fact yet, for the entire matter. They've stated publicly they intend to do that by December 31st. And now, they appear to be trying to browbeat everyone they can into giving up their devices before that self-imposed deadline. I think anyone who gives up and gives in before the end of the year, at least, is short changing themselves out of sitting through the whole show to find out how it turns out.

Good, logical, valid reasons for anyone to keep the Note 7? You'll never be able to defend a position on any such criteria objectively. It's clear what your personal calculus determined as a solution for that equation for yourself. It's presumptuous for you to expect anyone else to reach the same conclusion as you, and choose the same solution as you, for themselves.

Upvote 0
All U.S. Galaxy Note 7's will receive an update on the 19th December, that will stop them charging. The exception to this is T-Mobile (USA), who are delaying the update until the 27th December and Verizon, who have not announced their exact cut-off date as yet.

This means that once the update has been pushed out by Samsung and the carriers, they will no longer be responsible for injuries or damage caused by the phones and instead, any owners that choose not to update, will be liable, personally, since insurance companies will absolve themselves from responsibility for claims after the update. I am guessing that carriers may even follow the example of Australia and New Zealand and in future, blacklist/disconnect any odd Note 7's still holding out. 93% of U.S. Galaxy Note 7's have already been returned according to Samsung. See...

It's official: Note7 units in the US will stop charging on December 19, except Verizon's

Upvote 0
I can't see them going that far, like for a complete bricking and/or disabling charging completely. It could cause people to lose access to any personal data stored on them, even though it's really their own fault for still using the things.

They've had sufficient warning. They have no excuse and no recourse for legal action, try as they might.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
They've had sufficient warning. They have no excuse and no recourse for legal action, try as they might.
There'll always be dimwit lawsuits though, and unexpected decisions by judges and juries.

IANAL

BTW in Europe now, they're limiting charging to 30% rather than disabling completely.

Samsung limits Galaxy Note 7 battery to 30% charge - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-38262909

Last edited:
Upvote 0
All U.S. Galaxy Note 7's will receive an update on the 19th December, that will stop them charging. The exception to this is T-Mobile (USA), who are delaying the update until the 27th December and Verizon, who have not announced their exact cut-off date as yet.

This means that once the update has been pushed out by Samsung and the carriers, they will no longer be responsible for injuries or damage caused by the phones and instead, any owners that choose not to update, will be liable, personally, since insurance companies will absolve themselves from responsibility for claims after the update. I am guessing that carriers may even follow the example of Australia and New Zealand and in future, blacklist/disconnect any odd Note 7's still holding out. 93% of U.S. Galaxy Note 7's have already been returned according to Samsung. See...

It's official: Note7 units in the US will stop charging on December 19, except Verizon's
And where do you come up with such sweeping wisdom? Read this then tell me again about how liability shifts to consumers! Fact is since Samsung proactive in recalling the Note 7 and was not compelled by the CPSC to initiate a recall (that's the definition of a 'mandatory' recall---mandatory for Samsung, not consumers) there is no possibility of penalties for consumers who do not respond to it!!! This recall is voluntary and that designation cannot be changed unless somebody can turn back time! Read it, it's just not there!

Attachments

• 20161212_195524.jpg
    20161212_195524.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 243
  • 20161212_195524.jpg
    20161212_195524.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:
Reactions: johnpjackson
Upvote 0
Don't be so sure! This isn't Australia, New Zealand or Canada. What's more pertinent is that there are no penalties for us Note 7 owners! We cannot be compelled to comply with this recall! Many with little tech knowledge will get crippled by this update and our numbers will shrink further. Crippling these devices is the only option Samsung has, but many are ready for it!

Reactions: johnpjackson
Upvote 0
Verizon will send out the kill switch OTA on January 5th. Back up your stuff, folks... it's about to become a paperweight ;)
Backup your stuff, regardless. If you want to keep on using your Note 7 by keeping Samsung and it's killware out of it, disable the system packages on it that are required to carry out the OTA updates in the first place.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones