1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

I'm looking for an app that...

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by joncape, Feb 25, 2011.

1. joncape

joncape Member
    None

Jan 12, 2011
    actually, i'm looking for 2 apps that do specific things... it seems really simple, so i'm sure they are around, i just cant find them out there!

1. An app that turns the volume rocker into a physical camera key when the camera app is active

2. An app that turns the softkey backlights on my Samsung Galaxy S into notification blinkers.

If someone can direct me to these apps, that would be awesome. If no one can, them someone should quickly develop them! :)

PS. i just got the SGS. Its frigging awesome.

Advertisement

2. T.M.M.L

T.M.M.L Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 20, 2010
    Ohio
    Greetings joncape,

I'm not sure about the camera option, but the blinking notifications can be done. You will have to have a rooted phone to do this though. Seeing as you've only just got the phone, rooting and installing the programs to do this may be a little or a lot over your head.

Here is a link that can explain what rooting is, what you can do with it, and the things that can happen because of it.

http://androidforums.com/samsung-fa...21-january-2011-1-00-pm-central-u-s-time.html

Welcome to the forums.

3. allambition

allambition Well-Known Member
    None

You will probably need to root the phone I agree. Rooting is not so hard on a Galaxy S phone though - there are programs to do it in one click basically. You need the USB drivers for your computer, Super One Click (I found it here - Root Any Android Device And Samsung Captivate With Super One-Click App), and to put your phone in USB debugging mode. Rooting your phone allows you to do all sorts of fun stuff but it isn't recommended if you aren't comfortable doing these sorts of things.

4. sohguanh

sohguanh Android Enthusiast
    None

Actually I don't recommend end user to do a Root. From Google Android SDK, we developers develop app based on their provided API. If an Android app is written that goes under the SDK, no one can guarantee the same app will work again in future Android SDK versions.

That is why for some apps that runs on Root-ed smartphones whenever a new SDK version came out, they need to constantly update their app so that they can run under the new SDK.

For other obedient developers, their obedient app is at least guaranteed by Google to continue to work in later version even though the app was developed using older SDK.

5. Howdie!

None

Feb 25, 2011
    @1 Does it have to be the volume rocker? There are apps that make the whole touch screen the shutter release. Some camera apps have it built in, as a setting.