1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

I'm lost - please help.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Purgatory, Mar 11, 2020.

1. Purgatory

Purgatory Newbie

Hello everyone.
    Recently my wife lost her S5. It had served her so well that we obtained another one. Fair play to o2, we managed to get a new sim and they then arranged for her original number and the amount left on her lost phone to be transferred to the replacement.
    In configuring her replacement - a few snags have arisen. Most annoying her previous es file explorer app is no longer available (pity).
    Perhaps the most annoying thing is that on the older S5 - if one went to application manager, the options to move an app to the SD card was straightforward.
    On the replacement phone, this feature is no longer possible / missing. If you can assist me to overcome this problem - I would be so grateful. Non technical language would be of help if possible.
    Thanks in advance - NOTE both devices are on Android 6
    Colin

2. MrJavi

MrJavi Android Expert

3. MrJavi

MrJavi Android Expert

The phone settings"Application Manager" no longer provides the move to sd option, it's mos likely due to a firmware update. For the most part, you can use a computer program called Odin to downgrade your factory firmware.

ocnbrze, Xavier Black and Dannydet like this.
  4. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby 100% That Guy
    VIP Member

Google has a tracker. I watched my phone take a bus ride beyond Boston one night.

5. Xavier Black

Xavier Black Android Expert

But about that ES File Manager..you still can get..you just have to look else where for..like Aptoide..you don't owe anything to Google Play Store, do you?..so you don't have to relly on those people every time..

Attached Files:

ocnbrze, puppykickr and MrJavi like this.
  6. Xavier Black

Xavier Black Android Expert

And of course many people will tell you not to go into those stores because you're gonna get a virus or what ever other reasons…well, let me tell you something honest..the only time I've ever gotten a virus in my phone was actually from the Google play store just so you know..

7. svim

svim Extreme Android User

Don't look at the ES File Explorer app as something to be missed, it's a documented privacy matter regarding the app getting bumped off the Play Store. There are plenty of very viable alternative file manager apps on the Play Store, plus you already have a Samsung file manager app, 'My Files' already installed. It's more basic in functionality but works well for copying/moving/renaming files and folders in the internal storage and microSD card.

MrJavi, Hadron, ocnbrze and 2 others like this.
  8. puppykickr

puppykickr Android Expert

A great and very easy to use file manager is called Simple File Manager.

It is from Simple Mobile Tools- on multiple app stores, and there are many apps from Simple that are excellent in function that you may like.

Hadron, ocnbrze, MrJavi and 3 others like this.
  9. svim

svim Extreme Android User

+1 for apps from Simple Mobile Tools. That 'Simple' in its naming refers to how clean they make their apps look and feel as far as the user interfaces but they also put a lot of attention into adding a lot of useful features and appearance options. When you install one of their apps, be sure to go into the app's Settings menu to optimize and customize it to take advantage of its benefits.

10. puppykickr

puppykickr Android Expert

Also, I find it best to include the 'Thank You' app, as it syncs the app themes for all of the Simple Apps, and helps out the dev.

ocnbrze and MrJavi like this.
  11. Purgatory

Purgatory Newbie

Guys - thank you for some very interesting and meaningful info. In particular the reference to "my Files" already installed a la Samsung. Will take a close look at all suggestions later today and report back.
    Thanks again, and keep the thoughts coming
    C

MrJavi likes this.
  12. Purgatory

Purgatory Newbie

Some further info as follows...
    I looked at the "my files" route, but found this convoluted and a little confusing (dont forget I'm a novice) but thanks for the suggestion.
    From a google search came the following 'fix' - that gelled with the functions on my wife's S5.
    Find and tap settings> Apps
    Tap the app that you want to move to the SD card
    On the next screen shot - this contains the word storage - tap on this
    If the app supports changing where it is stored - a change button appears - hit this button
    Tap SD card > then move
    Transfer will then take place.
    So in fact the ability to transfer is still within the Samsung set up - just a different route to get there!

In regard to es file explorer - my wife has found a third party app that apparently suits her needs. I will however look to Aptoide (My thanks to Xavier Black for this suggestion)
    My thanks to all who took the time and trouble to help me with this one
    Purgatory

MrJavi likes this.

Samsung Galaxy S5 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S5 release date was April 2014. Features and Specs include a 5.1" inch screen, 16MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon 801 processor, and 2800mAh battery.

April 2014
Release Date
Reviews